Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Fading plastics...

brokenvendetta

Reaction score
Any of your guys' plastic grills and mirrors faded yet? I've only had this thing for a couple of months and the Texas sun is killing it. When I plan on doing my headlight mod here in a few weeks, I was thinking about respraying those pieces with a black something or another. Got any suggestions or past experience to help me out? :dontknow:

SWB X

Reaction score
go buy back to black polish/cleaner at autozone...its will fix that

X-Rizzo

Reaction score
What does it look like when it's faded? Mine looks fine from what I can tell.

MORT-RUNNER

Reaction score

x2 :top: This stuff works awesome! There are a whole bunch of different brands. They all work. Here in Hawaii we have that problem alot...especially with the humidity and salt air. Use the polish/cleaner and then the next time you was your car...wax it to get that layer on it. You should be good to go. :top:

XRunninTaco

Reaction score
or you can use mothers "back to black" thingy ... ive heard it works ...

SUODRAXAH

Reaction score
I use black to black on my element's plastic panals when i get wax on them and although it may look good when its done, i have had trouble with it just hiding the wax. The next time i wash it and the black to black coat comes off, you can see all the wax again.
I dont know if you will have the same problem but you might want to paint and then use black to black to protect it from the sun

My68ur8trd

Reaction score
Ive seen people use a Propane torch to bring the black back. When I first heard about it I thought they were crazy. I used it on my old truck. you dont put the flame to your truck. Just get it hot (not to melt) and they grey will go away. I was actually pretty neat. grab a piece of bumper from a junkyard or off the side of the road and try it. I not saying do this to the X. Dressings are great but you have to re apply. This is just a neat little trick I was shown that I figured Id share.

" cheap trick" :top:

Stevenredx

Reaction score
Ive seen people use a Propane torch to bring the black back. When I first heard about it I thought they were crazy. I used it on my old truck. you dont put the flame to your truck. Just get it hot (not to melt) and they grey will go away. I was actually pretty neat. grab a piece of bumper from a junkyard or off the side of the road and try it. I not saying do this to the X. Dressings are great but you have to re apply. This is just a neat little trick I was shown that I figured Id share.

:ahhhhh: not me, no sir :dontknow:

SUODRAXAH

Reaction score
Famous last words: "Don't worry, I read about it online!"

uzbek2.jpg

07XR808

Reaction score
Forever Black is great. I used it to restore the plastics on my old car, and it looked brand new.

My68ur8trd

Reaction score
:ahhhhh: not me, no sir :dontknow:

Ha i wouldnt use it on my X either. but im gonna takea vid and show you. I got an 87 camry beater, if I burn it down oh well.. I didnt read it on the internet either. Ive seen it done on Jeep fender flares.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

X-Rizzo

Reaction score
Nah he's not lying. My friend crashed his dirt bike and put a nice white crease in the plastic. He heated it up with a blow torch and it restored the color perfectly. I was really surprised at how well it worked.

Stevenredx

Reaction score
Ha i wouldnt use it on my X either. but im gonna takea vid and show you. I got an 87 camry beater, if I burn it down oh well.. I didnt read it on the internet either. Ive seen it done on Jeep fender flares.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

dude... dont do it.. im been looking everywhere for a beater car.. ill buy it from you.. im being honest, just give me a price, please... before you burn it down :dontknow:

My68ur8trd

Reaction score
dude... dont do it.. im been looking everywhere for a beater car.. ill buy it from you.. im being honest, just give me a price, please... before you burn it down :dontknow:

take it easy man, im not gonna burn it down, I used to do it to my 84 pickup all the time. Its actually kinda common. Ha 87 beater camry on 17s and 20 % tint. 300 buck invested :rock:

Im still gonna take a vid, it wont burn down and youll :hmmmm2:

My68ur8trd

Reaction score
my 3 day old 07 X looks like the plastic is fading already......:stupido2:

wish we had the welding mask smile :wink:

REG CAB X

Reaction score

I have done this to interior door panels that I put some white stretch marks on and it really does work. Just have to use your head and be careful while applying the heat.

XDsm

Reaction score
My plastics look as good as they did last April when I bought the truck and I live in always sunny SoCali. Although I usually always have some kind of dressing on the plastics that I put on once a week when I wash my truck. Some Meguires exterior plastic protectant works wonders.

Top Bottom