Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Gadget - forged pistons

WCD

Reaction score
Since I haven't been able to mod my truck like I originally planned, I have to look at what others are doing for my own selfish entertainment.

I'm curious about those TTC forged pistons you bought awhile back. Are you building up a separate motor for them? Or has the project been put on the back burner?

With great power comes great responsibility. This inquiring mind wants to know. :rolleyez:

Gadget

Reaction score
It has been put on the back bunner for now.

There is someone else that is building an engine. When he swaps in his new engine I was planning on buying is old one and use that as core to build mine.

He is still driving around on my engine, so I just sit and wait...

I am looking into sleaving the block. Can'f find anyone that has done that yet.

G

Gadget

Reaction score
For now. That might change someday.

I have a bigger paper weight now. A real forged piston that is much larger.

G

Murderface

Reaction score
I can send u a Detroit 453 piston, might fall thru ur desk though:laugh:

it's actually very light for it's size, I just love these 2stroke Detroits I get to tinker with!

a0d44e92.jpg

That's a blower under the turbo
a200700b.jpg

how bout a V4?

965d9084.jpg

ntinhri

Reaction score
hahaha I took gadget to s shop for a dyno run. this place it very close to the military bases and im sure does some modding for them. well there was this hunk of metal sitting on the floor. gadgets like blah blah blah, the shop owner changes his attidude and warms upto gadet. Gadgets like yea I built and play with these motors in my sleep... it was real funning, but I bet there are few things he hasnt seen...

this motor was flat and cylinders west west and east like. it was odd, I think it was a heli motor...

Gadget

Reaction score
I can send u a Detroit 453 piston, might fall thru ur desk though:laugh:

it's actually very light for it's size, I just love these 2stroke Detroits I get to tinker with!

a0d44e92.jpg

That's a blower under the turbo
a200700b.jpg

how bout a V4?

965d9084.jpg

The first one looks like a 6V-92 silver series. Is it?

G

hahaha I took gadget to s shop for a dyno run. this place it very close to the military bases and im sure does some modding for them. well there was this hunk of metal sitting on the floor. gadgets like blah blah blah, the shop owner changes his attidude and warms upto gadet. Gadgets like yea I built and play with these motors in my sleep... it was real funning, but I bet there are few things he hasnt seen...

this motor was flat and cylinders west west and east like. it was odd, I think it was a heli motor...

That guy at the dyno shop was a jerk.

I think I really surprised him when I recognized that broken double headed piston as from a Dyna-cam engine.

dynacam%201a.jpg

dynacam%202a.jpg

Last edited:

ntinhri

Reaction score
a jerk to say the least... either way you were like hoummm its a blah blah blah.. yea I flew it, drive it, tore it down, etc.. lol

WCD

Reaction score
The military does play with some funky stuff.

I was reading the other day about a military model of a horizontally opposed motor, like a boxer motor. But it wasn't that simple because both the cylinders and the pistons oppose each other. Basically there is no cylinder head and each end of the cylinder has a piston. They had a acronym for it like OPOC or something like that. Very strange indeed.

Hey that Dyna-Cam looks a little bit like what I just read about!

That would be nice if the 1GR can be sleeved. Doesn't Toyota use some weird thin cylinder liner from the factory?

Last edited:

Gadget

Reaction score
The military does play with some funky stuff.

I was reading the other day about a military model of a horizontally opposed motor, like a boxer motor. But it wasn't that simple because both the cylinders and the pistons oppose each other. Basically there is no cylinder head and each end of the cylinder has a piston. They had a acronym for it like OPOC or something like that. Very strange indeed.

Hey that Dyna-Cam looks a little bit like what I just read about!

That would be nice if the 1GR can be sleeved. Doesn't Toyota use some weird thin cylinder liner from the factory?

The Germans in WWII had a two stroke diesel aircraft engine that was 6 cylinder 12 piston using the opposed piston configuration and a reduction drive for the propeller. I think it was used on the super long range bomber they built to bomb the US.

The Dyna-Cam type engines were originally used as torpedo engines, but they are making a come back. They are very compact, super durable and make ext ream torque at very low RPM. Because they have ball bearings and rollers they are very low fiction.

There was one that was being developed for aircraft use and it lost oil pressure on the test stand and they let it run to see how long it would go before failure. Well, at like 8 hours they ended the test and it was still running.

That guy at the dyno shop was doing some development work likely for the Navy with a diesel version of the dyna-cam. He would not say what application it was for.

G

WCD

Reaction score
The Germans in WWII had a two stroke diesel aircraft engine that was 6 cylinder 12 piston using the opposed piston configuration and a reduction drive for the propeller. I think it was used on the super long range bomber they built to bomb the US.

The Dyna-Cam type engines were originally used as torpedo engines, but they are making a come back. They are very compact, super durable and make ext ream torque at very low RPM. Because they have ball bearings and rollers they are very low fiction.

There was one that was being developed for aircraft use and it lost oil pressure on the test stand and they let it run to see how long it would go before failure. Well, at like 8 hours they ended the test and it was still running.

That guy at the dyno shop was doing some development work likely for the Navy with a diesel version of the dyna-cam. He would not say what application it was for.

G

:top::rock:

Murderface

Reaction score
Bossman says it's a 653. V6 w/turbo and blower 2 stroke. It's fun tearing these down and rebuilding. Looks like we have another one according to this pic. It was rebuilt a month ago didn't sit that long before it got sent out to the field. The complaint was loss of power. #3 cylinder is not firing but getting air and fuel. Couldn't find our compression tester for it:thumpdown:

It's wierd how the rings are worn into the sleave in exact mirror image

828e4eff.jpg

Gadget

Reaction score
So the 6 means 6 cylinder and does the 53 mean 53 CI per cylinder? The old designations, like 8V-92 was 8 cyl V with 92 CI per cyl. Or are they doing it totally different now?

G

Murderface

Reaction score
Well I don't remember engine codes and stuff like that too well but that's what he told me? He is a smart dude

Gadget

Reaction score
That engine has been around for a long time. They came out in the 70's.

G

c0astie31

Reaction score
we had that engine in our 44' motor life boats, lots of torque, but no turbos, the newer version is the 6v92ta, which we have in our 47' motor lift boats, 2 stroke blown with a turbo, 435 bhp. awesome engines

kelson

Reaction score
So the 6 means 6 cylinder and does the 53 mean 53 CI per cylinder? The old designations, like 8V-92 was 8 cyl V with 92 CI per cyl. Or are they doing it totally different now?

G

the 6V-92 sounds like a cow. lol a really big cow.

Murderface

Reaction score
Well it's a 9.2 liter V6 2-stroke with a blower between the heads and a turbo on top.

Yes Gadget u are correct, it's a 6V-92

e28cda8e.jpg

57a16d34.jpg

this engine is used strictly for the hydraulics

Top Bottom