Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Gadget on drifting....

Gadget

Reaction score
As you all know I am such an expert on drifting because I rode in a drift car once....

Anyway, I have always wondered why drift cars use wide sticky performance tires. I had always thought a less grippy tire would work better. It would be easier to break loose and hang out there.

Anyway I had always wondered that and then I saw this video and decided to ask to folks that actually drift for the real answer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&NR=1&v=HPh90yNX-mY

G

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
Inverse relationship between tire width and fun factor! :top:

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
As you all know I am such an expert on drifting because I rode in a drift TRUCK once....

Anyway, I have always wondered why drift cars use wide sticky performance tires. I had always thought a less grippy tire would work better. It would be easier to break loose and hang out there.

Anyway I had always wondered that and then I saw this video and decided to ask to folks that actually drift for the real answer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&NR=1&v=HPh90yNX-mY

G

first....fixed it for you...:laugh::rockon: Second thing is...this video is a horrid expeirament as he turned OFF TCS, with the donuts, and left it on with the normal tires.

But you bring up an excellent question none the less....issues comes down to a few factors, momentum, grip and power levels...

Small, not sticky tires will be very easy to kick out, but not easy to control....i.e, they will kick out very easy but might be difficult to "catch", i.e, not spin out...

other issue, that im starting to run across, is momentum. If your tires have no grip, the you cant carry any speed, and connect corners, especially if the next corner is an increasing radius, i.e you need to carry more speed, to maintain your angle, and in turn "connect" the corner....not straighten out

My truck, has little weight over the back, so that makes it much harder to carry as much speed as all the drift cars, while drifting... especially when running cheap china tires... When i drifted on the RE-050's (compared to Nexans and Fullruns) that Nupeprime let me destroy, immediately noticed i was carrying ALOT more speed @ texfest.

Just last week, i drifted on a set of Nitto's, 245's, vs some 235 no name china brand....the truck would not carry enough speed to connect the entire track...it was frustrating...:frown:

eventually, im going to destroy one set of my 275's just to see how much more speed i carry, and to see how it feels with some decent rubber out back. :top: it just cost more...lol...

now, running wide, sticky tires on a car with a lot of power will also do another thing....make more SMOKE!!!! more smoke...more "points" and it puts on a better show with the fans.:blurock:

any questions?

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Very well explained Kevin.

However, that doesn't stop me from wanting to do what that guy in the video just did. ;) Lol!

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
When I had an Accord, I used to put McDonald's trays under my rear wheels and set the e-brake.
Cheap fun in a vacant parking lot! :laugh:

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
When I had an Accord, I used to put McDonald's trays under my rear wheels and set the e-brake.

tray drifting...I did that in a Sebring Convertible once..lol

Blasphemous

Reaction score

I have done that in my civic a couple times. Makes for an interesting time to say the least lol.

Too bad they get burned through so quickly... :thumbdown:

Iggy08

Reaction score
how ironic that our "spare" is actually a full size wheel

justin13703

Reaction score
I have done that in my civic a couple times. Makes for an interesting time to say the least lol.

Too bad they get burned through so quickly... :thumbdown:

Gotta do what I did and go to the grocery store and buy some big baking trays. Lasts alot longer and the sparks look pretty cool too. Lol

Iggy08

Reaction score
Gotta do what I did and go to the grocery store and buy some big baking trays. Lasts alot longer and the sparks look pretty cool too. Lol

made me crack up reading this, XR-U is full of awesome!

Sproulesxrunner

Reaction score
Come to Canada and do some snow/ice drifting. Same principal, less traction makes drifting easier for beginners because you are going a lot slower so there is more time to react.

First learn snow / ice and do power slides. Then move on to gravel (not with the X) and learn techniques such as the Scandinavian flick and brake drifting. Finally graduate to pavement.... where all your skills will be tested.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Come to Canada and do some snow/ice drifting. Same principal, less traction makes drifting easier for beginners because you are going a lot slower so there is more time to react.

First learn snow / ice and do power slides. Then move on to gravel (not with the X) and learn techniques such as the Scandinavian flick and brake drifting. Finally graduate to pavement.... where all your skills will be tested.

Minus the snow part...thats EXACTLY how I learned. :rockon:

Sproulesxrunner

Reaction score
Minus the snow part...thats EXACTLY how I learned. :rockon:

Also forgot to mention that driving simulators help to learn drifting too. Not as good the real life but you still can learn from them. I learned how to snow drift when I was 12 y/o. It is nice to have a really big farm yard with some corners :biggrin: Not even illegal too:rockon:

98_mud_bug

Reaction score
wet fields and my old 92 isuzu pickup 5 speed lol, thats how i learned plus there are dirt roads everywhere around here, and in my 98 4wd tacoma i would wait till it rained and go driftin down them in 4wd. thats a great thing lol

Reaction score
A 1966 GTO with a 455ho bored out to 60 thousands and a Holley 1050 ,many more mods to mention 3/4 Isky cam Muncie M21 rock crusher tought me how to drift :laugh:

Woolaroo

Reaction score
huh, that did look fun, and the physics can certainly be appreciated

Top Bottom