Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How To: Rasp Elimination

Xacto

Reaction score
This one is one of the aspects of the 1 GR-FE that truly sucks, and to those of us first gen owners, was a bloody nightmare to deal with for awhile before the answer was discovered.

Quite nicely, the solution is as easy as salt and pepper to a steak.

Simply weld in place an 18 inch resonator that is a straight through design, or a muffler with packing that is the equivalent volume, directly after the y-pipe to one pipe flange. This should eliminate your rasp, even with DTLT's. I mean, it did for me and i wasn't even running a muffler. :laugh:

The system I had when I first discovered this was an Intake, DTLT's, URD Y-pipe, magnaflow catback with an Aero-turbine muffler in place of the magnaflow muffler. This setup was so ****ing loud, and at low low rpms the low frequency tone was so loud it would literally rumble cars next to me like a pair of 13 W7's. Only problem was with 1/4 throttle or more, between 2.5k-3.5k rpms, there was this total fart can filled with pop rocks sound - like a chainsaw shitting tiny pebbles.

Keep in mind that the aero turbine is about as wide open as you can get, no packing or anything, just an air foil.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDTTOa77efs

Meaning that the level of sound deadening was, well, borderline non-existant, So i was running straight pipes essentially.

Well, when I first went to the exhaust shop I had an 8 inch Aero-turbine resonator welded about a foot down wind of the y-pipe to one pipe flange. It helped, but the rasp was definitely still noticeable. About a month later I had that resonator taken out and replaced with an 18 inch magnaflow resonator, this one to be exact:

http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com/servlet/the-148/ADD-ON--dsh--RESONATOR/Detail

Most importantly, it was welded in an inch down wind of the y-pipe to one pipe flange, not a foot, not two feet, one inch. Fired her up, took off, ZERO rasp, not even a hint!

I suspect it has to do with the acoustics of the 1 GR-FE combustion characteristics along with the exhaust design. Some thing about the two to one point creates a harsh acoustical wave form resonance at those specific rpms under greater throttle position.

Good luck fixing your crappy sounding vehicles.

Last edited:

hiflyer

Reaction score
thanks!

mine's a quite bit loud so gotta od something abot that this year

JiNsEiGaNaI

Reaction score
so just moving muffler is up, solves the rasp??? i have a magnaflow muffler, but wat if its in stock location?

mixplate_xr

Reaction score
so just moving muffler is up, solves the rasp??? i have a magnaflow muffler, but wat if its in stock location?

no what he's saying is to weld a 2nd muffler or resonator in place before your muffler. something a bunch of others have done to eliminate rasp

Amo-cat3

Reaction score
I have a vibrant ultra quiet 2.5" resonator that is mounted directly in front of my 18" MBRP straight through muffler. I have DTLT, stock y-pipe, and 2.5" MBRP cool duals and the resonator got rid of most of the raspiness. Especially that initial rasp when you punch it around 2200-3000rpms. The resonator quieted down a lot of the droning sound at 30 mph on city roads and on highway. Considerably quieter in the cab, but still sounds like a wild banshee when i let loose. Nice low idle rumble at stop lights. I highly recomend the vibrant ultra quiet (trust me, it's not too quiet - but just right)..

off-road taco06

Reaction score
Yeah If you buy the APR Y-Pipe, it fixes the whole acoustics issue with the shitty stock or URD Ypipe. Its supposedly "Pulse Tuned" for ultimate flow and sound.

Have yet to install mine. But thanks for the info !

Ridefoxone

Reaction score
I don't think they make it for 4x4's though. Also the APR pipe has the lengths of the y are equal, causing the sound to hit the y at the same time, kinda canceling each other out

Tunedx

Reaction score
I'm scared to punch my x. Its sound like poo around 3000rpm.

kwigs160966

Reaction score
Do you have a recent sound clip? How much room is between the y pipe and muffler ?

Tanaka

Reaction score
I kinda like the rasp. Does the rasp affect the performance at all? All I have installed is a spin tech muffler instead of the stock muffler.

JPAYNE722

Reaction score
I gotba long tube headers n urd y pipe n borla muffler n mine sounds lke sti lol no rasp..it turns heads everywhere n doesnt sound lke shit lol

Xacto

Reaction score
Here's a testimonial from fellow XR-U member TRDGuyKC that sent me a PM:

--Hey man,

Just wanted to let you know that I bought the resonator you posted in a thread and followed your advice as to where to install it... I have been running without cats and w/ DTLT's for the past 2 years with that terrible rasp.....

needless to say.... its perfect now. Im glad I stumbled across your thread. --

kwigs160966

Reaction score
What was the diameter of the resonator that you used? I bought an 18 inch magnaflow 6"diameter and took it to an exhaust shop and he told me it would not fit and that I needed something shorter and smaller in diameter not to mention he broke a bunch of clips on my body kit and tried to hide it. Afterwards he starts telling me I should get it re tuned and all this other. Bs. And he also told me that it wouldn't do anything adding a resonator any way

Any help would be awesome If there are any other threads that anyone can point me to let me know.

kcidmil

Reaction score
That's why I opted for the Aero 3030xl. It has a built in resonator. Beautiful deep sound and no rasp. Of course my huge 4"x8" tip helps with that too.

kwigs160966

Reaction score
What was the diameter of the resonator that you used? I bought an 18 inch magnaflow 6"diameter and took it to an exhaust shop and he told me it would not fit and that I needed something shorter and smaller in diameter not to mention he broke a bunch of clips on my body kit and tried to hide it. Afterwards he starts telling me I should get it re tuned and all this other. Bs. And he also told me that it wouldn't do anything adding a resonator any way

Any help would be awesome If there are any other threads that anyone can point me to let me know.

Bump !!!!!!

Reaction score
I just ordered the resonator that the OP posted up. Its the magnaflow 10426. Its 4"diameter. I'm getting it welded on today.
I'm running dtlt headers and urd ypipe and stock catback. Hope this gets rid of the horrible rasp.

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone else add this resonator? If so is there enough clearance at the cross brace such that it doesn't contact under load?

Last edited:

asianized

Reaction score
i luv the sound of my truck!!! was worse when it had flowmaster 44's on it but now ive got a borla muffler on it. its only loud when i get on it

Top Bottom