Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

I need help with E brake

sixstringdave

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have an issue I need your advice on.

I got the rear brakes done at Brake Doctors. When I get back in the truck I notice the E brake handle pulls WAY out, but it's not holding the truck in place.

I go back in and explain this to them. The owner and mechanic are nice and apologetic and adjust the E brake.

I get back in it and the brake handle is really stiff to pull out and barely comes out. But it is still not holding the truck.

The mech tells me that it should take some time for the new materials to 'set in' and the rear drums self adjust after a bit. And that you don't want them to tight cause they will always rub the brakes.

Seems like bullshit to me, but can anyone give me some insight here please?

I had to get outta there cause I was a bit upset and had to just cool off and think about it.

Thanks for any help you can give

Coupe

Reaction score
I have not had to adjust the parking brake on the X-runner, so I can not add anything.

On other cars. I have had, it I just a cable adjustment.

Gadget

Reaction score
Take it back.

Brand new trucks have parking brakes that work. So should yours.

Step 1. Properly adjust the rear brakes.

Step 2. Properly adjust the parking brake cable.

G

Doublld

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have an issue I need your advice on.

I got the rear brakes done at Brake Doctors. When I get back in the truck I notice the E brake handle pulls WAY out, but it's not holding the truck in place.

I go back in and explain this to them. The owner and mechanic are nice and apologetic and adjust the E brake.

I get back in it and the brake handle is really stiff to pull out and barely comes out. But it is still not holding the truck.

The mech tells me that it should take some time for the new materials to 'set in' and the rear drums self adjust after a bit. And that you don't want them to tight cause they will always rub the brakes.

Seems like bullshit to me, but can anyone give me some insight here please?

I had to get outta there cause I was a bit upset and had to just cool off and think about it.

Thanks for any help you can give

sounds like its mis adjusted. after putting new brakes on should always adjust the parking brake. how i do it is till it holds the drum or rotor tight to where i cant move it and then back it off 3 turns should be the perfect amount. it should always hold your car

sixstringdave

Reaction score
Thanks guys. That's what my thoughts kinda were. He said to give it a couple days. Needless to say, I am going back

metalpeddler88

Reaction score
The parking brake should definitely work when you leave the shop, otherwise they are just lazy bums trying to get you to pay for services again. With my Camry, the parking brakes self-adjust when you use the parking brake. Not entirely sure how the X-Runner is, but I can only assume since it's newer than my Camry, that Toyota would still include that feature. So pretty much, you adjust the cable close enough, and just use the parking brake 8 times or so and it should match up.

It sounds to me like someone forgot to attach something securely, or messed with something they should not have. I agree with going back for them to fix. You could always mention that if they can't figure it out, you are sure the Dealership could fix it at the shop's expense. Gotta make the customer happy!

sixstringdave

Reaction score
So here is an update. And some more questions!

So I go in and I figure they just need to do a simple adjustment. Well, after a few minutes the tech asks to ride with me to see what I think. Cause this is the best they can do.

The E brake feels way better but still isn't that good. I can roll the truck forward around 4 or 5 MPH and the E brake doesn't feel like it's grabbing very much. It used to stop the truck dead.

He tells me again that the materials in the shoes need to set in and I tell him bullshit. I have about 200 miles with it like this. He says 'fine, we will put all new shoes in them again.'

I make another app with them and leave. I get in the driveway at home and notice something very odd...

I pull the E brake and can sorta feel it hold the truck slightly, as mentioned before. I roll the truck forward or backward with the E brake RELEASED and I can still feel it sorta grabbing.

Then I press the brake pedal and it feels a bit mushy for just the first press, but now I cannot feel the E brake sorta holding the truck. It's like the E brake is still trying to hold until I hit the brake pedal.

Can someone tell me WTF? I am going back there for them to replace the shoes again cause they think the shoes are a bad set. Help me out here guys.

What can I do here? Or what can I say to them? Something that won't be immature or instigate an incident at the shop.

That's for your time and any help

DLACE64

Reaction score
Tell them that you will have the dealer fix it if they dont fix it.. And that you will make sure they pay the dealer for the work.

Gadget

Reaction score
You simply need the brakes properly installed an adjusted.

G

sixstringdave

Reaction score
You simply need the brakes properly installed an adjusted.

G

That's what I told them the second time I went in. They said that they were properly adjusted, but there must be something wrong with the shoes themselves.

So should I let them throw new ones on it again or just demand they adjust them correctly?

And while we are at it, how exactly should they be adjusted? I'm sure it's a simple process?

Wish I would have done them myself. I've done everything to my truck myself. I just never did drum brakes before and got spooked

shawnb1043

Reaction score
Hey just catching up on the update. I've never had this problem doing drums myself. I don't see it being a "faulty" pad. Either the pads are on correct or not. Do these trucks have wheel cylinders? May not be aligned properly.

x-runner kid

Reaction score
I just did my rear brake shoes took me about 15mins per side with no special tools. Sound to me like they didn't install the pads correctly or they messed up where the parking brake hooks up.

sixstringdave

Reaction score
Sorry havent been on in a while. Just figured I'd give an up date.

A different mech at the same shop put a different brand(better) of shoes on. He must have known what he was doing cause they work awesome now. So does the parking brake.

Top Bottom