Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Installing a Coupe Deep Oil Sump Pan

Coupe

Reaction score
Kit comes with:

1. Oil Pan with baffles & installed BMW trap doors.
2. Tear drop oil pick up tube spacer.
3. Stainless bolts, washers & lock washers for the tear drop spacer (long bolts)
4. Two (2) Toyota gaskets for the oil pick up spacer.
5. Stainless bolts, washers & lock washers for the oil pan. (short bolts)
6. One tube of Toyota FIPG.
7. Magnetic oil pan plug w/gasket.

Drain engine oil.

Jack up front of truck and install jack stands. Chock rear wheels.

Take all of the bolts out of the stock oil pan.

This is a pic of the stock oil pan, on the truck.

oilpan002-2.jpg

I have a valve where the drain plug is. I do not recommend this. After closer examination, it will not allow the pan to drain fully. With all of the bolts out, gently pry off oil pan. Sometimes is you take a soft faced hammer and whack it, it will pop off.
This is a pic with the stock oil pan removed. You can see the oil pick-up tube.

oilpan008-1.jpg

Clean off oil gasket material off of engine block. Steel wool does a good job of this.

There are two bolts that hold the oil pick up tube to the engine block. Remove these.

I use a Q-tip and clean the oil out of the bolt holes. I am going to use loc-tite on these screws and I want it to get a good grip.

OilPanIIb022.jpg

The kit comes with a tear drop spacer. Place one gasket on each side of this spacer.

OilPanIIb015.jpg

OilPanIIb007.jpg

The oil pick up tube goes on one side, the engine block on the other side. The kit comes with longer stainless bolts, washers & lock washers. I use a blue loctite (242) on the threads. Toyota says to torque the bolts to 80 in/lbs. I went a little higher to 100 in/lbs.
OilPanIIb025.jpg

Go put your oil pan bolts, washers & lock washers together and place conveniently to yourself under the truck.

OilPanIIb030.jpg

This is an important step. The Toyota FIPG is time sensitive. You need to install the pan in 15 minutes after coating the flange on the oil pan.

Paint the flange of the oil pan with the Toyota FIPG. You just need a thin coat. DO NOT GOOP IT UP.

I just used my finger to spread a thin coat over the flange.

OilPanIIb037.jpg

OilPanIIb036.jpg

Wipe the engine block flange once more time, before installing pan. You will find that the oil constantly drips from the engine, during this install.

Place the pan on the engine and put a few bolts in the pan and hand tighten. Put the rest of the bolts in the oil pan and hand tighten.

I set my torque wrench at 50 in/lbs. Torque from the inside and work your way outward. See diagram. Follow 1, 2, 3, etc.
OilPanIIb041.jpg

torqueii.jpg

Don't let the torque sequence overwhelm you. You want to start in the middle of the pan and criss cross to the ends.

Then I set the wrench at 100 in /lbs (Toyota says 80 in/lbs). Do the same torque procedure. Do 1, 2, 3, etc.

I let the pan set for a few hours to let the Toyota FIPG get a good bond.
Put the drain plug in the pan and tighten.
Replace oil filter.
Fill pan with 7 quarts of oil. Start engine. Let run for a minute and turn off engine.
Check oil. You may need to add ¼ ~ ½ quart depending on your oil filter size.
Run for a few minutes and check for oil leaks.
OilPanIIb043.jpg

OilPanIIb063.jpg
OilPanIIb065.jpg

Xrunner Drifter

Reaction score
Wow, coupe that is a very well kit u put together.
And an very easy how to. Good job and thank you for ur hard work.

dramad1

Reaction score
Very nice write up full of pics. Once the engine is fixed I might hit you up for one of these.

WallasX

Reaction score
This is awesome i need to get one of these

XR

Reaction score
Sweet man. I am ready what do I need to do to get one? Maybe you could pm me your phone number or something so I can get the info to send some money. Thanks

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Quick Q', why did you spread the silicone gasket materiel out? Toyota says to use a 3-4mm bead around the pan.

I knew someone who used to spread it out like that, his cars always leaked oil...but what ever works for you :top:

Coupe

Reaction score
Quick Q', why did you spread the silicone gasket materiel out? Toyota says to use a 3-4mm bead around the pan.

I knew someone who used to spread it out like that, his cars always leaked oil...but what ever works for you :top:

That would probably work also. One thing to bear in mind. The bottom of the engine is machined flat and is rigid. My oil pan is machined flat and is rigid. So these two surfaces are going to mate pretty well.
If your bead is too thick, it's just going to squish all over the places. You will get overage into the pan as well as out of the pan.

The stock oil pan is sheet metal. It may look flat, but I would call it kinda of flat. Also the sheet metal pan is somewhat flexible. As a result it may take a thicker bead to get it to seal.

If I was going to do the single bead, I would do it down the center of the flange.

I have not had any leaks so far.

Excellent question.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
That would probably work also. One thing to bear in mind. The bottom of the engine is machined flat and is rigid. My oil pan is machined flat and is rigid. So these two surfaces are going to mate pretty well.
If your bead is too thick, it's just going to squish all over the places. You will get overage into the pan as well as out of the pan.

The stock oil pan is sheet metal. It may look flat, but I would call it kinda of flat. Also the sheet metal pan is somewhat flexible. As a result it may take a thicker bead to get it to seal.

If I was going to do the single bead, I would do it down the center of the flange.

I have not had any leaks so far.

Excellent question.

Does Your oil pan have the ridge that the OEM was has? your way will be fine for that kind of mating, if both surfaces are flat. OEM pan isn't flat along the mating surface. PITA, to get the old gasket off.

Coupe

Reaction score
Does Your oil pan have the ridge that the OEM was has? your way will be fine for that kind of mating. OEM pan isn't flat along the mating surface. PITA, to get the old gasket off.

I made it flat.

I made the steel one flat also. No leaks on that one either.

burnboy

Reaction score
i bought coupes original pan. its on. letting the rtv cure for a bit and gonna fill her up

Coupe

Reaction score
I have spacers with baffles in stock, but no oil pans. The spacers add about 1 quart.

To make the oil pans, I need at least 3 people that want them and are willing to put up a deposit.

Reaction score
Have a link to the spacers with baffles?

Seems I took to long to get back into an X-Runner this forum used to be popping

Top Bottom