Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Looking for more N/A mods.

PAXR

Reaction score
Hey all. I'm looking for some more performance mods in the N/A department. Already have a TCAI and Maf cal. Things I'm looking at are cat back and any sort of ignition upgrades that are out there. What else are you doing on your trucks to get some more ponies without boosting? Any timing mods or other intake mods? What do you think is the best bang for the buck with N/A upgrades?

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
Best bang for the buck hands down is longtubes! Outside of that a catback is next then I would go with the NST manifold spacer then NST pullies and finally an efan. After that you gotta decide if your ever going to boost and get a Lightweight flywheel/clutch combo....

People will say different things that's my 2cents:top:

dramad1

Reaction score
Can't you switch the cam gears also with out an x 1????

PAXR

Reaction score
I was looking at the NST intake spacer and pullies. Those are going to be up next on the list I think. I want to do longtubes, my only concern is emision and inspection in PA.

triumphx

Reaction score
Do they do visual inspections up there? If not just get anti-foulers for the rear o2 sensors or urd's o2 simulator

wisenthefools

"Ricky Bobby"
Reaction score
Full exhaust, long tunbes, Y-pipe and a good 3" catback. The Pullies will gain you very little, mainly just throttle response, the manifold spacer also seems to give a very minimal gain (on the dyno atleast) but those are options too.

In all honesty, if you add up what all of that will cost (almost 2k by my math, without even getting into a trac bar, slicks or a map3/x-1 etc) and consider the gains in comparison to that cost, it's really not worth it IMO. All that cash and you'll still be in the mid 14's, provided you can actually drive.

Spend that kinda dough, plus what you've already spent on certain OTHER vehicles, and you can go much faster. Also take into consideration that for that kinda money, you're spendin almost half of what it would cost to boost your truck and then you'd just end up buyin all that other stuff afterwards ANYWAY and you'd see better results from those mods if you WERE boosted.

All this is the reason I'm not gonna spend big bucks for small gains on my truck. I'd like too but it just doesn't seem logical to me anymore. I say boost if you got the cash, or get another vehicle with better (and cheaper) aftermarket support if you're truly serious about speed.

Murderface

Reaction score
Personally I'd skip the NST pulleys because u will not notice a damn thing. If u wanna have a faster revving engine then get a URD billet steel lite flywheel, u will def notice how much quicker the engine revs.
The long tubes, APR Y pipe and URD 3" 304 stainless catback with a Vibrant resonator befor the muffler will be the the best flowing exhaust out there. I'd get the V band flanges to seal off the long tubes to Y pipe and at the catback also because most of us have issues with leaks in those 3 areas.
So far there's no ignition upgrades available for our trucks, only thing u can do is swap out the 3 NGK plugs from one side of the engine and 3 Denso plugs from the other side and replace them with some Denso Iridium plugs.

There is also NA cams available for our trucks that will give u some more ponies but be warned they are around 2K for the 4 of them. A member on here had them on his XRunner and was selling them but I don't know if he ever sold them or not. If ur interested search thru the 4 sale threads and look to see if he still has them.

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
Can't you switch the cam gears also with out an x 1????

You can but A) good luck finding just the cam gears, they were rare when x-1's were available and 2) the effects of just the gears are minimal unless you can adjust the timing with the x-1

and yes the pullies are minimal that's why it was further down the list but end of the day it all helps.

Also while N/A all reports I have read say to steer way from a full exhaust swap ie longtubes, y pipe and catback, seems like you can have any 2 of the 3 options but if you go all 3 rasp is crazy and you will loose a bit of low end... which when your na you need all you can get:top: I am waiting on a report from slywitty as he had no choice but to run all 3 in that exhaust combo, I will hear it all the way to XFE and let ya know lol

PAXR

Reaction score
So do we still think the NST intake runner spacer is a good buy? The pulleys do seem a bit ridiculous for the price and no "real" hp gains. Is there another option besides the X-1 and does anyone have any experience?

dramad1

Reaction score
hottacoX said:
You can but A) good luck finding just the cam gears, they were rare when x-1's were available and 2) the effects of just the gears are minimal unless you can adjust the timing with the x-1

and yes the pullies are minimal that's why it was further down the list but end of the day it all helps.

Also while N/A all reports I have read say to steer way from a full exhaust swap ie longtubes, y pipe and catback, seems like you can have any 2 of the 3 options but if you go all 3 rasp is crazy and you will loose a bit of low end... which when your na you need all you can get:top: I am waiting on a report from slywitty as he had no choice but to run all 3 in that exhaust combo, I will hear it all the way to XFE and let ya know lol

Yeah I remember seeing a member selling his cam gear for a na x a while ago. I almost jumped cause like you said it's a rare find. I used to have the urd tcai, dtlt's, urd 3" catback and maf cal. All made the truck alot beastier but red x runner pride was still able to hang with me with no mods other than an after market exaust. I lost alot on the low end but made up for it above 3200 rpm's. It screamed and it worked for me as far as not having boost but I ended up blowing the motor over oil issues. Fml. Sold all the mods and once she's back up and running think I might go the f/I route maybe a Trd blower for smog reasons. Only thing I wanted after all those mods was a trac bar to keep the wheels from spinning. Miss my x. Next year fellas. Gl with the mods brotha

NUPEPRIME

Reaction score
Best bang for the buck hands down is longtubes! Outside of that a catback is next then I would go with the NST manifold spacer then NST pullies and finally an efan. After that you gotta decide if your ever going to boost and get a Lightweight flywheel/clutch combo....

People will say different things that's my 2cents:top:

Can u be more specific concerning "efan" ?

Any other input?

I'm runnin TRD intake, LT, y-pipe, 3"Maggy w/res, NST pullies & manifold spacer & X-1.
what else can I bolt on? :hmmmm2: Or is it time to build & boost...

toyota_rod

Reaction score
i def. got some gain with intake and the maf cal...did spend the money on the harness but it was worth it

Night

Reaction score
1GRracer, I will be looking into that!

Depends how much cash you want to spend and how much you want to pay per horse.

I would say to go for F/I, I will one day make it there; after I get all the exhaust and anything related to the S/C done.

Top Bottom