Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Looking to get rid of the lag in the drive by wire system

Nashman

Reaction score
This is one HUGE reason why i don't like new truck's or any thing new by all means shitty lazy drive by wire systems

How do I get rid of this on the cheap I have some ways but none of them are afford able for me right now

so is there any thing i can do to get rid of rev hang and muddy gas pedal

has any one ran the zippy skinny pedal maker go faster device ? does it get rid of the tip in issues

does any one have any flashing programes that i can down load/buy and use my obd2 cable to play with my truck ?

or is it ugly fate that i will have to buy a haltech elite ecu :motz:

Last edited by a moderator:

x-runner kid

Reaction score
Gadget has the answer. Get yourself a sprint booster. For around $300 from what some of the other members have said it works amazing. The guys that have them wonder how they ever did without them.

shane881510

Reaction score
Sprint booster works great. I got one about two or three weeks ago. It's what ur looking for as to get rid of lag in the throttle.

Nashman

Reaction score
Ya I have been reading I know how they work but I truly really what to get rid of the throttle tip in lag that is most likly programmed into the throttle tip in map?????

and I have been looking around and looks like the apexi unit is better but still playing with throttle ramp up will it turly get rid of the pause and not make me miss the apexi when driving

it's just annoying

autobodyX

Reaction score
URD has a tech line for the answers your looking for. Does your haltech come with cam gears, the UCON does.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nashman

Reaction score
URD has a tech line for the answers your looking for. Does your haul tech come with cam gears, the UCON does.

No but it can control vvti so umm the gears are not needed and if i really had an issue i just buy or make set of adjustable ones to cool down my pistons really more over lap more fuel cooler combustion temp higher exhaust temp less over lap is great for turbo cars witch is what thous cam gears do and has more exhaust engery.

I am not in the mood of buying a full blown system as of yet and i have one more project on the go so a simple fix would be nice

but the more I look into it there is really no way to fix it with out re flashing the ecu

the throttle controllers i would really like to see graphed on a s scope and then look at the stock fuel trim to see what the ecu is doing but our snap miodes at work to just to slow because my boss is to cheap to buy the new unit grrrrr

the drive by wire trick thing is great for autos no dout but for a 6 speed i just don't know i waa smash my foot to floor and go at liner rate and climb the fuel cells as I see fix not this pre programmed pedal crap

lamia2super

Reaction score
No but it can control vvti so umm the gears are not needed and if i really had an issue i just buy or make set of adjustable ones to cool down my pistons really more over lap more fuel cooler combustion temp higher exhaust temp less over lap is great for turbo cars witch is what thous cam gears do and has more exhaust engery.

I am not in the mood of buying a full blown system as of yet and i have one more project on the go so a simple fix would be nice

but the more I look into it there is really no way to fix it with out re flashing the ecu

the throttle controllers i would really like to see graphed on a s scope and then look at the stock fuel trim to see what the ecu is doing but our snap miodes at work to just to slow because my boss is to cheap to buy the new unit grrrrr

the drive by wire trick thing is great for autos no dout but for a 6 speed i just don't know i waa smash my foot to floor and go at liner rate and climb the fuel cells as I see fix not this pre programmed pedal crap

just buy my supercharger kit and be done

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Things might have changed since I was last looking, but back then Haltech did not offer the ability to control drive by wire throttle bodies, with their universal ecu's. Even the nice ones. Only on vehicle specific ecu's.
Although they did say that it was in the works.

The sprint booster will be your best bet. Unless you get an ecu which can control the throttle by wire. Such as the UCON (plug n play), or something else which has the ability.

TRON

Reaction score
The sprint booster definitely takes the lag out of the gas pedal for the initial go... The thing I don't like about the sprint booster is that because of that beginning burst... The last 1/3 of the pedal to the floor has little to no effect.

Nashman

Reaction score
Things might have changed since I was last looking, but back then Haltech did not offer the ability to control drive by wire throttle bodies, with their universal ecu's. Even the nice ones. Only on vehicle specific ecu's.
Although they did say that it was in the works.

The sprint booster will be your best bet. Unless you get an ecu which can control the throttle by wire. Such as the UCON (plug n play), or something else which has the ability.

The new elite ecu can control drive by wire and it suppost to be just as good as motec's system in safety reason's and easy to use just like most of there stuff.

The only issue I hate with haltec is there limted can bus system I want a 6 channel egt box for my supra but they only make a 4 channel so that means 2 box and there not cheap, were as mega squirt has a 12 channle egt bus

Nashman

Reaction score
The sprint booster definitely takes the lag out of the gas pedal for the initial go... The thing I don't like about the sprint booster is that because of that beginning burst... The last 1/3 of the pedal to the floor has little to no effect.

humm so no lag once you stamp on it that what i want to get rid of and just have to live with rev hang

the apexi unit is cheaper then the sprinter and has more options ??????

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Blitz usee to have one as well. They might still. Price probably matches their rarity though.

Nashman

Reaction score
^ I don't see the harness on there web site

but I have local buddy of mine looking it up

I ether want the blitz or apexi

ANY WHO TODAY oops caps ... I hooked up the scanner to my truck to see what the ramp up of the stock pedal is and I am wowed on how much of limp dick it is lol

see from what I gather is the throttle plate is 15% open at ideal to allow it to ideal since it does not have IAC valve but see this is the kicker you loose 15% from the pedal roughly about the width of your finger so little less then half an inch aka the dead spot but when shut off the truck you now have 100% pedal because the throttle plate is now closed.

This is one main reason why the truck jerks so bad when ya shift from first to second and are not smooth with the pedal.

Soooo how do we fix this cheaply hummm.... well a throttle controller of course this should fix by by passing the first 15 % by quickly ramping the signal.

it's sad no one has made a fully programmable throttle pedal signal amplifier there are bunch out there but as i have scene not one of them is fully programmable just pre set with tweeking.

Nashman

Reaction score
Well I got the apex I smart controller and I find myself using the economy modes in heavy traffic boost 1 mode I have used the most but I truly have yet to test it on a windy road

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Well find some windy roads already!!!

jimx

Reaction score
The apex I with my mods, I can tell a huge difference. This thing makes my truck scream like I have v-tec from take off till red line. I love hi-throttle mode. This thing works great in windy road and the revs scare bikers in the tunnel and freeway under pass.

Last edited:

Bizarroterl

Reaction score
Sorry to bring this back from the dead.

I recently bought a '10 XR and I've been extremely disappointed with the throttle response. So much so it has sat in the driveway for the last week and a half. What is really bugging me is not performance, but the slowness of the throttle during regular traffic driving. Upshifting is really annoying. Let off the gas and put in the clutch at the same time and the RPMs stay the same or even go up a little. They're supposed to go down. immediately

I've read that doing a reset (disconnect battery for a while, and then drive it to relearn) will help, removing the secondary air filter can help. Has anyone tried this on an XR?

Reading this thread comments have been made about the Sprint Booster and the Apexi. For those of you that are using them, do they help with day to day driving (partial throttle acceleration, not banging gears) specifically with responsiveness when you let off the throttle?

Wizard

Reaction score
Gadget,
Can you confirm that the Sprint Booster is compatible with those of us who are boosted? I have a TRD SC and still feel a little lag in getting going.

Top Bottom