Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

overkill? or killer combination?

taco_X

Reaction score
I want to upgrade my exhaust. would the DT headers work withthe y-pipe and 3inch catback? I would get the cold air, but I already have a volant. If you can convince me that the other items would work best with your cold air, I will get it:laugh: :rock: or willl the maf calibrator work?:dontknow: Im ichin to use the credit card today:top:

My68ur8trd

Reaction score
I want to upgrade my exhaust. would the DT headers work withthe y-pipe and 3inch catback? I would get the cold air, but I already have a volant. If you can convince me that the other items would work best with your cold air, I will get it:laugh: :rock: or willl the maf calibrator work?:dontknow: Im ichin to use the credit card today:top:

they will be insanely loud. If you already have the catback and y-pipe and dont want to hack it up or change it you can always go JBA. Buts if performance is what your looking for and crappy sound is acceptable go DT. They will put out better numbers.

Unless of course, your willing to modify the catback and/or y-pipe to tone it down

Justin

akakrill

Reaction score
they will be insanely loud. If you already have the catback and y-pipe and dont want to hack it up or change it you can always go JBA. Buts if performance is what your looking for and crappy sound is acceptable go DT. They will put out better numbers.

Unless of course, your willing to modify the catback and/or y-pipe to tone it down

Justin

SO TRUE! I am running the DT/C2c's and The URD Y and 3" Catback..It is horrible..The URD Components were designed to increase performance and sound using stock manifolds or the JBA Headers with stock cats welded on. I have first hand heard both setups...

JBA headers, stock cat, Y pipe, JBA EVOL exhaust = GOOD

Stock manifold + stock cat, Y pipe, URD 3" exhaust = GOOD

DT/C2C Headers, Y pipe, magnaflow 9 inch Cat, URD 3" exhaust = VERYBAD

Solutions:

Run two mufflers inline...NO CAT

Swaping URD's Absorbtion straight through 16" body muffler for a larger
baffled style muffler

Cut in resonators in each side of Y-pipe.

My solution: First Attempt... Replace muffler

DT/C2C Headers, Y pipe, magnaflow 9 inch Cat, URD 3" exhaust pipes, Custom Spintech Muffler Part# 5443 in 304ss = WILL SOON FIND OUT

If that fails to silence the noise..I will be removing the 9 inch cat and adding magnaflows 14 inch muffler..4 inch round or 4X9 oval..depending on the effectiveness of the spintech.

Testimonial:

DT/C2C Headers, Y pipe, magnaflow 9 inch Cat, URD 3" exhaust = VERYBAD

I went to Jersey for the minimeet.. I believe the URD muffler got very tired after 500miles at 3k rpm 80mph..EGT's 900-1200 Constant for 8 hours or so.

It was loud when I left NH, due to the recent addition of the DT headers. When I got down to Jersey it was unbearable...

Riding in traffic yesterday it was COMPLETELY Unacceptable! I cannot get to 2000 rpm or put any load on the engine..(no "stepping on it" no matter the RPM) with out SEVERE barking. I like volume for those of you who may think I'm overreacting, This setup makes an Ugly Ugly rasping sound...no one would ever say sounded good.

So base your muffler on the fact you'll have headers someday...If you are getting headers put them on first and then try to increase the exhaust flow and sound. Otherwise you will be UGLY loud. Hope this helps...-krill

PS. Neither products are at fault for the effect..They simply weren't design to be used in conjunction.

Last edited:

project-c2

Reaction score
I guess I would stick with the JBA headers, delete rear cats and keep my JBA exhaust. Good info akakrill:biggrin:

akakrill

Reaction score
I guess I would stick with the JBA headers, delete rear cats and keep my JBA exhaust. Good info akakrill:biggrin:

Xample runs that way...Its clean and deep. She doesn't bark at all.:laugh:

Its definitely the long-tubes that bark..

As each cylinder fires the hot gas escapes through the headers along with the sound of the explosion..I think the JBAs and Stocks allow the hi-frequency soundwaves to cancel each other and smooth out before exit...The long tubes send sound pinging all the way down to the y-pipe. There by tuning the low end power and increasing noise....a lot

azjimi

Reaction score
My solution: First Attempt... Replace muffler [/I]

DT/C2C Headers, Y pipe, magnaflow 9 inch Cat, URD 3" exhaust pipes, Custom Spintech Muffler Part# 5443 in 304ss = WILL SOON FIND OUT

Be interested to hear how the Spintech works out. I have the complete 3" URD set up w/JBA headers. I'm on my 3rd muffler (Flowmaster 50 series) and it sounds pretty good but is just too loud for me. I want something between that & stock.

My68ur8trd

Reaction score
well see what JBAs with the URD catback and y pipe sound like with the S/C once I get around to installing my headers. I love how my truck sounds now with stock manifolds

Justin

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
well see what JBAs with the URD catback and y pipe sound like with the S/C once I get around to installing my headers. I love how my truck sounds now with stock manifolds

Justin

i think there is someone else running that set-up, but i'm not possitive. It should sound really good. I loved the sound of the supercharger with the URD exhaust and y-pipe when I had the stock manifolds on. But like akarill said the C2C long tubes are loud as hell and its not a good sound at all.
Hopefully this week i can get a second muffler installed and see if i can get a sound that I like. may have to change out the URD muffler also, but we will see.

akakrill

Reaction score
Spyder runs the JBAs through 2 hiflow cats with the Ypipe and 3" URD catback....he said it gets outta control. The URD muffler just isnt enough for headers when comboed with the y-pipe...period.

HiTek21

Reaction score
I can't Imagine how loud having headers and Y pipe makes it. I already think the 3" Exhaust is a bit loud by itself. I like the SS pipes but I need a new muffler to lower the 2-3k range sound. Driving back and forth to work is giving me a headache.

Xample

Reaction score
guys trust krill man that sh!t's CRAZY loud. im sure it rips like a s.o.b but not streetable by any means, sounded like a nascar truck when he left. let me mention we were about 1/4 away from the road when he left

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
guys trust krill man that sh!t's CRAZY loud. im sure it rips like a s.o.b but not streetable by any means, sounded like a nascar truck when he left. let me mention we were about 1/4 away from the road when he left

+1 That truck was just retarded loud.

taco_X

Reaction score
hmmm so then
urd tcai/maf calibrator,stock manifolds,urd y pipe/02 sims,3''catback would be the way to go or compliment the later purchase of a sc?
what if I had a custom cat back put together around a chambered muffler from summit racing? I want the performance, but without the "fast n furious" sound.
the ugly sound that you guys are describing, is nowhere compariable to the musclecar sound right? if it is though, I might be okay with it,because my previous rides were all camaros(shorty headers,no cats 3inch catbacks)
thanks for alyalls feedback. my wallet thanks you:laugh:

RossK35

Reaction score
I would get the DT headers, URD y-pipe, then have a custom exhaust made with the biggest magnaflow available put on the truck. It might be ok then. From what I remember the URD is basically a magnaflow muffler correct?

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
I would get the DT headers, URD y-pipe, then have a custom exhaust made with the biggest magnaflow available put on the truck. It might be ok then. From what I remember the URD is basically a magnaflow muffler correct?

I think the URD muffler is louder than the magnaflows, but i am not positive on that.
I think it will take more than 1 big magnaflow to quiet that setup down. It is really loud. :ahhhhh:
there are a couple of us that are working on some setups. akarill is changing out the muffler, and I am going to be adding a second muffler to mine so hopefully we can find a set-up that makes the longtubes sound good.

akakrill

Reaction score
hmmm so then
urd tcai/maf calibrator,stock manifolds,urd y pipe/02 sims,3''catback would be the way to go or compliment the later purchase of a sc?
what if I had a custom cat back put together around a chambered muffler from summit racing? I want the performance, but without the "fast n furious" sound.
the ugly sound that you guys are describing, is nowhere compariable to the musclecar sound right? if it is though, I might be okay with it,because my previous rides were all camaros(shorty headers,no cats 3inch catbacks)
thanks for alyalls feedback. my wallet thanks you:laugh:

Thats a great setup, but you would have to go with the JBA headers with stock cats, if you ever decided to get headers. & probably change the muffler. If you went with the DT header you'll surely change the muffler. I strongly believe the Intake calibrator would come off because it would interfere with the supercharger FTC1.

I think its safe to say any header system with y-pipe would require some sort of custom exhaust...basically the URD or JBA with a new type of muffler.

Does the JBA come in 3"? I believe Xample said his was 2 3/4" pipes...His JBA catback has a brandname magnaflow on it. I think thats what comes with it. So depending on desired pipe diameter, You could start with either catback and add a new muffler..the JBA is quiter than the URD....On stock and modified trucks.

akakrill

Reaction score

I think the URD originally used Magnaflow, but Magnaflow doesn't have any muffler with a 16 inch body on their site. I think its another make now...but It uses the same technology...straight through absorbtion.

Top Bottom