Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Piecing together a system

dramad1

Reaction score
Yeap!!!! Finished at 7 pm. Just had to eat something cause I ain't ate all day and been working on it since 8:30 am.
So far sounds amazing esp compared to stock. Sounds so clean and crisp. I messed with the gain a Lil by turning up the sound then adjusting gain till it distorts a Lil then backed it off a bump. Shit so loud and it's barely turned up. Haven't really turned it up up yet, gotta break it in slowly

I ran into a few issues putting the seats back in. Like amp clearances, ground wire pull out, the Lil bar under the passenger seat- didn't have the right star driver. Amp is under seat and can't move the seat forward until I remove this bar.
I have some din clearance issues, screen can not open properly with out getting hung up on bottom. May be I just need to remove the trim piece and deal with a tiny gap.

Big thanks to Justin and Revo for all the help and guidance as well as all the others who helped out. Mad props to all you guys because with out you all, I'd be lost and waisting my cash on the wrong shit.

Should be doing a phase 2 deal when I get some more deadening. Still got to do the roof and outer door panels. Maybe peal the dip and make it more perminent. And the big three. I did run a 1/0 gauge ground to frame and sanded down the area. Still got to put my new batt terminals in, stock ones will work for now as I'm so exited. I'll post pics later tonight maybe when I'm messing with it

Outburst

Reaction score
you should flip the bar over for your passenger seat. takes about 15 minutes to do so. can sometimes be a PITA though.

dramad1

Reaction score
Outburst said:
you should flip the bar over for your passenger seat. takes about 15 minutes to do so. can sometimes be a PITA though.

I would but don't have the right star bit. Anyone know the size by any chance? I tried an Allen and felt I was gonna strip it so I stopped. In the mean time I can't move my seat. Lol.
My neighbors are pissed right now. Lol
I'll post pics tomorrow cause I'm beat right now.

RRX

Reaction score
Well glad it came all together for you. I have been watching this tread a lot as I have order all my stuff and I have to wait 4 more weeks before I can install my system.

So what is the watts rms to the door speakers? I got the same door spreaker that you got I am not going to max mine out I will be pushing 80 watts rms to mine. I will be running an 10" S type sub. and I kenwood ddx-719 HU.

And I took your advice and ordered 3 boxes of deadening mat so I hope that it will be enough to get it all done the first time.

Outburst

Reaction score
tomorrow i think i have an appointment for a taco with amps below the seat. ill check the bit size for you. give you some time to rest up.

dramad1

Reaction score
RRX said:
Well glad it came all together for you. I have been watching this tread a lot as I have order all my stuff and I have to wait 4 more weeks before I can install my system.

So what is the watts rms to the door speakers? I got the same door spreaker that you got I am not going to max mine out I will be pushing 80 watts rms to mine. I will be running an 10" S type sub. and I kenwood ddx-719 HU.

And I took your advice and ordered 3 boxes of deadening mat so I hope that it will be enough to get it all done the first time.

The rms rating is 100 per speaker front and rear max 400w all 4 together. I seen that you can push them up to 125w each maybe even further but then you start approaching the danger zone. I have them wired @ 4ohms.
Three boxes should do it. That's the floor, rear wall, doors inside and out, roof, license plates, gas door and maybe have a few sheets to spare. 3 boxes is 75ibs in weight. I'd say about 30 sq ft should be enough dampening to do a single layer on all doors and roof. I placed it inside all four doors and on the rear floor and seat area under sub w/ just 14sq ft.
Keep us posted!!

Outburst said:
tomorrow i think i have an appointment for a taco with amps below the seat. ill check the bit size for you. give you some time to rest up.

Right on I'd appreciate that. For sure on the rest, back is sore as well as finger tips. Lol.

Last edited:

RRX

Reaction score
I will keep you posted. What did you use for a box again. I know you said some where in the 35 page in this thread. lol just can't find in. I got really lucky and found a orignal SubX box. So the Big question did you stay within your Budget that you set. I already have the to amps so I was able to get everything right a $1500.

dramad1

Reaction score
RRX said:
I will keep you posted. What did you use for a box again. I know you said some where in the 35 page in this thread. lol just can't find in. I got really lucky and found a orignal SubX box. So the Big question did you stay within your Budget that you set. I already have the to amps so I was able to get everything right a $1500.

I got the box at sound off audio. Took them about ten work days to build and another week to recieve it. I had to resell some areas but overall seems pretty good for the price.
As far as how much I spent. Lol. Alot but I did all the install myself witch saved a bunch. I had to piece it all together over a couple months. Had the checkout bug for a min. I went a Lil over budget but some of the things were necessary.
If I could change some things I would have got all my wiring from knukonceptz. They have some quality stuff. Only thing I didn't get from them was the dual amp wiring kit. I got a tsunami dual kit. Taco tunes has a decent one as well. Expensive though.
Maybe upgrade my battery and possibly alternator.
Oh yeah before I forget. Tennis ball worked like a charm installing all that raammat,Roll it, grab it firm and press it and drag, use it in big areas and then press out the edges by hand. A squigy card thing just made scratches on the foil and got the adhesive all over. That stuff is sticky goo. Like soft 3m backing. I had nitrile gloves to start but took them off and used my bare hands because the adhesive was so sticky and it was easier to roll it off your hands rather than the gloves getting locked onto it.

justin13703

Reaction score
Sweet I'm glad you got it all done. I think I just completely left that bar out of the pass. seat and it hadn't caused any issues lol. But no problem on the help. If you want to set the amps yourself make sure the filters on the 4 channel are on high pass and set the frequency to about 100 to 125hz. This will keep alot of bass out of your door speakers so you can crank that thing and not blow them.

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
I cut my bar out, and regret not just flipping it.

Cant wait to see the pics!

justin13703

Reaction score
I cant remember why I didnt put mine back in upside down, I think I couldnt get it lined up right or something and got pissed off and just threw it in the trash lol.

But yeah, we need pics! lol

dramad1

Reaction score
Here's a few before back together. I'm at work right now so the rest will have to wait

Attachments

• image-4049040745.jpg
    image-4049040745.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 147
  • image-81741764.jpg
    image-81741764.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 150
  • image-2002059349.jpg
    image-2002059349.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 142
  • image-3696105480.jpg
    image-3696105480.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 147

justin13703

Reaction score
Nice, did you have a tough time getting the bolts that came with the tacotunes kit into the doors? I dont know if Im the only one but I had a hell of a time getting mine in there. It was almost like the bolts were too big.

dramad1

Reaction score
justin13703 said:
Nice, did you have a tough time getting the bolts that came with the tacotunes kit into the doors? I dont know if Im the only one but I had a hell of a time getting mine in there. It was almost like the bolts were too big.

Yes I did, I had to pre screw them on before mounting them. They worked though even though it seem like they where a Lil big. I also used a weather seal strip of foam behind the adapter blocks to get a better seal on the doors

justin13703 said:
Sweet I'm glad you got it all done. I think I just completely left that bar out of the pass. seat and it hadn't caused any issues lol. But no problem on the help. If you want to set the amps yourself make sure the filters on the 4 channel are on high pass and set the frequency to about 100 to 125hz. This will keep alot of bass out of your door speakers so you can crank that thing and not blow them.

Under frequency hp stands for high pass and lp stands for low pass?

Edit.
Set the switch on the amp to hp, gain in in the middle at about 100hz. Then I set the frequency on the HU under high pass menu to 100hz. I'm still gonna bring it to an audio shop to let them tweek it a Lil.

Last edited:

justin13703

Reaction score
If you set the amp high pass then turn it off on the radio, anytime you have two devices that control the same thing, you pick one and leave it off on the other one. So you can either turn the filter off on the amp and set it on the radio, or turn it off on the radio and set it on the amp. Personally I would use the amp and turn it off on the radio.

dramad1

Reaction score
justin13703 said:
If you set the amp high pass then turn it off on the radio, anytime you have two devices that control the same thing, you pick one and leave it off on the other one. So you can either turn the filter off on the amp and set it on the radio, or turn it off on the radio and set it on the amp. Personally I would use the amp and turn it off on the radio.

Gotcha. Gonna change that now.

justin13703

Reaction score
Any updates? It's been almost 24 hours with no post on here. We can't have that lol

dramad1

Reaction score
I changed the hp to off on HU and left the switches on the amps @ hp. System is bumping, DVD player functions while driving, I haven't turned it way up yet. Still letting myself adjust to the sound.
I'll be talking to a guy this weekend about tuning my amps with two meter looking things, measures the db and voltage and adjust the gains voltage to help prevent blowing the speakers when I crank it. My ears are still adjusting to how loud it is. I feel like my ears are clogged, like the need to pop
My favorite thing about this HU is the advanced app mode, running pandora and iTunes, blue tooth or wired sound the same. Movie audio is weird and I feel like I have to turn it up more to hear it better. My truck seems to like the system, feel like the ride is smoother and don't find myself worrying about every Lil sound I hear from it cause I can't. Lol. The deadening and dampening have worked wonders on the exuast sound inside the cab, as well as the sound of the system from out side the truck. Its not blaring loud from down the street and Lil to no rattling or vibrations. Still though, sounds really crisp. It's hard to compare without another system being present.
Few pics. Lol.

Attachments

• image-2699844162.jpg
    image-2699844162.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 150
  • image-117950635.jpg
    image-117950635.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 151
  • image-610649193.jpg
    image-610649193.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 137

justin13703

Reaction score
Sweet sounds like you love it so far. I wish I could hear your sub in person because I know mine pounds hard and it's barely over half the wattage of yours. That radio looks good in there too.

RRX

Reaction score
Just asking why did you not run the sub wires under the carpet?

Top Bottom