Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Plasti dip wheel prep????

x20Runner05

Reaction score
What do I need to do to prep my wheels for the best quality job? I know I have to clean the wheels good. I plan on snagging a extra set of Camry steelies lying around and throw on a set of used tires lying around. I plan on breaking the beads of the tires and remove the valve stem. I am asking cuz I see need to dismount the tires cuz that part the rim does not need to be coated. But definitely the lip of the wheel.

gunner76137

Reaction score
no need to break the bead.
I helped a freind do his and we just went to the dollar store and bought several decks of playing cards and inserted them around the edge before painting them and then pulled them as soon as we finished painting them and they came out great.

rennurx

Reaction score
I wiped off my wheel with a rag, tucked a rag behind the wheel to protect the caliper and rotor and just sprayed it, it peels right off the tire the next day.. turned out great.. I've done about 6 of my friends the same way.. no problems..

STONER-X

Reaction score
when i did my hood scoop i used a wax remover taped and BAM... it has been on there for a while now....

use a wax remover to get any cleaning product off the paint.. wax or soap and yada yada yada
get some cards to stick in the bead to keep the PD off the tire..

if you are going to dismount the tire and valve stem you might as well use automotive paint... PlastiDip it not a long term finish it will eventually come off..

x20Runner05

Reaction score
I know plasti dip is not a permanent. I was going the plasti dip the rims cuz i change my mind so much sometimes. I like the look of it on the wheels i saw it on a customers truck at work and i liked it.
when i did my hood scoop i used a wax remover taped and BAM... it has been on there for a while now....

use a wax remover to get any cleaning product off the paint.. wax or soap and yada yada yada
get some cards to stick in the bead to keep the PD off the tire..

if you are going to dismount the tire and valve stem you might as well use automotive paint... PlastiDip it not a long term finish it will eventually come off..

STONER-X

Reaction score
I know plasti dip is not a permanent. I was going the plasti dip the rims cuz i change my mind so much sometimes. I like the look of it on the wheels i saw it on a customers truck at work and i liked it.

lol i change my mind too much.... :laugh: im on my second exhaust set up and about to do my third...

stock to JBA (which i love) to ghetto dumped (messed up y pipe) i really like the muffler on there and about to make the current set up more legit (to the back)

plasti dip is great i never did my rims but i wanted to before i got my rims... i did a full evo mod and did a half strip from the front edge of the hood scoop to the rear of the hood...

when the plasti dip fails i think i will paint on what i have done now

Top Bottom