Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

please, try and talk me out of this....

Sproulesxrunner

Reaction score
I'm not talking you out of it. I already have my mind made up if something major goes wrong with my engine or tranny it is going to be a LSX swap.

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
Haha alright man just saying.

I think at this point your just asking for retardedness if your sticking with a bone stock motor and expecting to play the way you do....

I would take G up on his offer but take it to someone you trust to ensure machining and everything is tits and go to town!!

I am very close to spending what G is asking for his motor on my build and my block isn't sleeved.... Just saying....

You are blazing new trails and unfortunately you have to suffer the shit end of the stick....

Get a block over to Paul at dezod or LC and get back in the game!!

Last edited:

darthyota

Reaction score
im going to suggest the ferd coyote motor sure its not an ls but they like to rev and will support close to 1000hp on stock heads and a t-56 or tremec 6060 will still bolt up to it. and theres lots of aftermarket for boost for em still too. that and the ls has been done before and a coyote hasnt just me 2 cents on it

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Haha alright man just saying.

I think at this point your just asking for retardedness if your sticking with a bone stock motor and expecting to play the way you do....

I would take G up on his offer but take it to someone you trust to ensure machining and everything is tits and go to town!!

I am very close to spending what G is asking for his motor on my build and my block isn't sleeved.... Just saying....

You are blazing new trails and unfortunately you have to suffer the shit end of the stick....

Get a block over to Paul at dezod or LC and get back in the game!!

That is something to consider regarding gagdets engine. I could have an experienced engine builder look it over. Make sure nothing is arry. Good idea though. That still doesn't solve the power side of it, or the trans problem. Remember. The t-56 swap, once its all said and done will be closer to 3.5k....gadget could chime in on that with a more exact figure. so your talking near as makes no difference, another 10k worth of goodies, on top of the built engine. :/

I didnt expect the stock engines to be bullet proof, I wasn't making un heard of power, (340/350lbft). Yah, I was pushing them very hard so I wasn't expecting to get 100k out of them lol. Certainly more then 25k and 30k miles out of two different engines. All biet both were used, but in very good condition starting off.

Another thing to consider is I can sell off some of my 1gr goodeis, assuming I do the swap, coupe pan, headers...etc. I can make some money on that too.

I am still very middle of the road on this. Not planning on tearing down and selling everything right now. Truck hasnt moved in almost 3 weeks (for reference, longest i have ever gone with out my truck....8days. )

I titled this thread this way so I can get a very good discussion going, regarding options. I guess I should mention this. My power goals are 420-450whp (reliably). That will be MORE then enough for what I want to do in my truck. I.e...spin tires. :rockon:

Keep it yota and get a 2j...

Iron block=too heavy. Remember, im going for handling first, power second. That much wieght over the front wheels will reak havok in terms of weight distribution. Longer engine too makes it worse.

im going to suggest the ferd coyote motor sure its not an ls but they like to rev and will support close to 1000hp on stock heads and a t-56 or tremec 6060 will still bolt up to it. and theres lots of aftermarket for boost for em still too. that and the ls has been done before and a coyote hasnt just me 2 cents on it

The new 5.0? Those crate motors aint cheap, let alone harnesses and what not get it run.. But...because its a newer engine, if put all the smog shit on, I could actually make it all 100% legal... very good idea and something to think about. :top:

Last edited:

Gadget

Reaction score
Well, here is what I would do...

1. Drop in a good used engine and get back to having fun. You can have it up and running in a few days, and;

2. Then explore other options to bullet proof things for next season.

You may want to give me a call about used engine options.

G

KETCHUP

Reaction score
Bro coming from someone that has been down this road 4 times I hate this for you. Even after my time we never truly figured out the exact causes of my failures. Just therories. Each one it could have been this and could have been that. Each time i fixed this and that and boom. Then we fixed something or replaced something new then boom. Although now everything is fine. Ketchup curse I've come to know. I sure hope u don't keep that routine lol....

I would say LS swap for what u do sir. Hope it all works out. But even with a built motor I would think you would need to get to the bottom of what is causing the motor to knock.

dramad1

Reaction score
G's block, then send it over to dezoid and get that stroker kit put in and have them check it all out.
Or. Do like you said in the beginning and do a full swap, more powa!!!
To me it would seem pointless to buy a used 1gr motor just to pass smog unless you plan on keeping it and the throwing a turbo on it or what ever other plans you may have. Your x seems to be allergic to the ucon so a Urd kit would be outta the question until you can get the ucon issues figured out. Possibly keep your trd kit,rebuild it, port it etc. etc. but I know you want more power.
But I don't know sh!t. Just a few ideas. I like the full swap idea. Swap, done, drift, amaze.

trd_sport

Reaction score
you want us to talk you out of an ls swap? NOT GOING TO HAPPEN:laugh:

GrumpyOldMan

Reaction score
.....stop........don't......

Kinda weak I know, but I'm just bored and wasting time on XRU at work LOL

Demented Dave in Boring Bagram

darthyota

Reaction score
The new 5.0? Those crate motors aint cheap, let alone harnesses and what not get it run.. But...because its a newer engine, if put all the smog shit on, I could actually make it all 100% legal... very good idea and something to think about. :top:
i never said it would be cheap but because of the pedigree of that motor i think it would be perfect for what you want to do with it and you can spin em to like 8000rpm so good power and lots of rpm for you to work with.

justin13703

Reaction score
If I was in your situation I would do an ls swap. It's already pretty much a racetruck and is mostly stripped down. I would take as much time as possible, swap in an ls/t56 driveline, maybe throw some bolt ons, cams etc. Itll be relatively simple and reliable. And during that time save up a little more and buy a cheap beater truck and trailer to pull it around on. It would be cool to keep it with the 1gr but to make that thing reliable at the power levels you want is gonna be a load of money. Then like you said you still have the crappy transmission. An ls will hold the power, be reliable, and be much cheaper to fix if something breaks.

shane881510

Reaction score
well everyone is saying ls swap. I'm say keep it atleast from the same country. swap for 350z engine and tranny. cost about the same as ls and parts are just as easy to get.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
well everyone is saying ls swap. I'm say keep it atleast from the same country. swap for 350z engine and tranny. cost about the same as ls and parts are just as easy to get.

Your joking right? Open deck, smaller displacement engine then ours. Has the SAME problems as ours when loads of boost meet them.

Well, here is what I would do...

1. Drop in a good used engine and get back to having fun. You can have it up and running in a few days, and;

2. Then explore other options to bullet proof things for next season.

You may want to give me a call about used engine options.

G

If I had a desire for getting it running asap, I would. Strange thing is, im oddly humbled at this point. Im willing to take the time and do this right. Im in no desire (at this point) to get my truck running. Its nice to know that I have your support on this! Along with the rest of the community on this.

I need to do some research regarding the smog. Legal ways and otherwise... ;) I was recently informed of intersting motor swap thay are potentially legal in ca.

I have been crunching numbers, regarding viable options. And unfortunately for my inner toyota fan boy....the ls swap has come up cheaper. MUCH cheaper...:blurock:

Bro coming from someone that has been down this road 4 times I hate this for you. Even after my time we never truly figured out the exact causes of my failures. Just therories. Each one it could have been this and could have been that. Each time i fixed this and that and boom. Then we fixed something or replaced something new then boom. Although now everything is fine. Ketchup curse I've come to know. I sure hope u don't keep that routine lol....

I would say LS swap for what u do sir. Hope it all works out. But even with a built motor I would think you would need to get to the bottom of what is causing the motor to knock.

I have no idea how you drive, but im willing to bet ITS nothing compared to what I do. :laugh: I have been talking the through with grumpy and think the problem is im asking a donkey to be race horse, and simply put. It wont work. Kinda like why members trade there trucks in for high horse power v8 cars with power ours STRUGGLE to make reliably, right out of the gates. Yes, we can make that power, but the path aint cheap, or proven.

And thag is where the argument for building a 1gr starts to fall apart. We all ready know how much power a ls what ever will make. Whag it can handle built and otherwise. Compared to how little we know about our engines limit, not JUST on the dyno, but on track barried deap in the rev limiter....

Im tired of reinventing the wheel...this is 'merica for *ucks sake, getting 400 some odd hp out of a pick up truck isn't anything new to us. It shouldnt be this damn hard.:motz:

Last edited:

Outburst

Reaction score
go do a swap man! take the time to do it. if you need a helping hand, i can help you out. im good at pretty much holding things and turning a wrench. possibly breaking some u-bolts at the sametime.

back in my miata days, before i crashed it pretty badly, totaling it out and selling my jackson racing super charger as well as putting a junkyard engine in there [miatas are ridiculously easy to work on] i was thinking of making a monster miata. an ls powered miata. it wasnt unheard of in the community, but it def was cheaper than a built miata 1.9 engine suprisingly enough. that and my not so good knowledge about cars scared me away. i only knew how to drive them quickly through my autox circuits as well as changing out intake, exhaust and computer components.

i say do it. i don't think you've ever had a common xr anyway. your xr probably has the best story out of all of them ive seen, so why go for the norm of trying to push past 400 with a built 1gr?

take pride in your signature man!
"It's sad because it's the American way of living, the new car, the new house, the new bike...its not the pride of ownership... its the pride of learning, the pride of building, the pride of creating something."
~Because Drift Truck~

Clifford

because race truck
Reaction score
Bro, 5.3ltr swap, revving to 9k rpms, turbo, I just came.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Bro, 5.3ltr swap, revving to 9k rpms, turbo, I just came.

Waaaaaaaayyyyy too much info. would be rather fitting, to actually swap a vortech truck engine in there. But... I want something more right out of box, ready to go kinda swap.

Top Bottom