Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

polishing pads or bonnets ok?

yayxrunner707

Reaction score
i have a question. my car is in need of a good detail. light scratches and in need of serious swirl removal. i went and got a da polisher. ( i have those big 6in and 10 in orbital buffers but ive heard you get way better results with the da's). so heres my question. its recomended to use some nice pads (lake county's ccc pads) but i have a meet to go to on my lexus forum and i dont thing the pads would come in from autogeek.com ontime unless i got rapped up the ass for overnight shipping. Do any of you guys use the microfiber or terrycloth bonnets they sell like at autozone or kragen/orilley's. and if you do which fabric would you use as far as cutting/polishing, final polish, waxing? thanx in advanace. any input would be greatly appriciated. oh and i also got the clay bar for that 4 step detail:top:

STONER-X

Reaction score
unless you know what you are doing with a da.. i would recomend maybe paying someone... the high speed polishers are an easy way to F-up your paint if you have never used one.... it is really easy to "burn" the clear coat if you are not careful....

as far as the covers go i think that those would be fine....

wait i am reffering to a direct drive polisher......

Last edited:

rich017

Reaction score
First off, are you experienced with detailing?I have been detailing on the side now for 4 years and I still will not use a direct drive DA. Is what I mean is that it just spins. I have a Porter Cable DA that I ordered and it spins as well as oscillates at the same time so you do not burn through the paint. That is what you need and they are around $150 and up online.

If you have a direct drive, I HIGHLY recommend that you do not use it and return it. Also, never use bonnets. Just use foam polishing and finishing pads.

RUNXRUN

Reaction score
porter cable all the way baby!!!!!!!! I love that thing.
also try chemical guys.com or give them a call talk to jason there cool guy can help you with anything there i go there all the time just to get more tips.

yayxrunner707

Reaction score
thanx for the reply's and concerns. i havent used a da yet but i am truelly confident in my abilities to use it. plus i have my moms POS pt cruiser to practice on lol. :top:

Top Bottom