Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Powder coat or rattle can. that is the question

gearhead899

Reaction score
Hey guys. i wanna have my stock wheels black. I was thinking about rattle canning them. Im pretty good with that sort of thing and would prep them well and use a good amount of clear. But im still nervous about it. thinking about such things like when i get new tires put on or the wheels balanced or even just taking the wheels on and off with an impact gun. the paint will probly come right off if you hit it in those situations right? i mean im planning on using the wheel coating spray paint but still nervous about it. I dont want it flaking off and looking like crap. I got an estimate from a local shop to powdercoat the wheels for 125 a wheel. they break down the wheel and tire and everything and assume re-balance the wheel after. is this a good deal? and should i powder coat it instead of rattle can?

gearhead899

Reaction score
im thinking i might just rattle can them for now and see how they come out. I mean in the worst case senario if they start chipping or w/e i can always go get them powder coated then since they sand blast them anyway.

redarkx

Reaction score
Personally I would powder coat mine of I was going to do it. But that is just because my neighbor runs rice valley powder coating and I'd get them done cheap. If done properly and you're careful I've seen paint last a good long while.

gearhead899

Reaction score
Personally I would powder coat mine of I was going to do it. But that is just because my neighbor runs rice valley powder coating and I'd get them done cheap. If done properly and you're careful I've seen paint last a good long while.

yeah to me 500 doesnt seem too bad. but i think im gonna try to rattle can it first. it couldnt hurt plus that money could go to a URD intake instead :top:

BSP 05 X-Runner

Reaction score
I rattle canned mine first and they looked good but after they started chipping and i re-painted them they started to look like hell, just powdercoat them you wont be sorry.

gearhead899

Reaction score
I rattle canned mine first and they looked good but after they started chipping and i re-painted them they started to look like hell, just powdercoat them you wont be sorry.
what kind of paint did you use? and how long did it last? this is gonna be the process im gonna do, scuff the wheels with red scuff pad, primer front and back with etching primer, a few coats of duplicolor wheel paint, then a few coats of clear.

BSP 05 X-Runner

Reaction score
Damn i cant remember what paint i used, but it lasted about 2 months, rhe rears chipped the worse prolly re-did them about 5 or 6 times before i had them p/c'ed

gearhead899

Reaction score
Damn i cant remember what paint i used, but it lasted about 2 months, rhe rears chipped the worse prolly re-did them about 5 or 6 times before i had them p/c'ed
damn that quik huh? lol i hear good things about the duplicolor wheel paint as to how well it holds up. i figured that paired with a few coats of clear should hold up ok but i guess we will see. Wheels are gonna be black, and the center cap emblems along with the brake calipers are gonna be lime green :rockon:

Fisherman

Reaction score
i have had mine powder coated for about a year and a half with no issues.

justin13703

Reaction score
Depends on how good you are in the money situation. I rattle canned mine about 6 months ago and they still look good, a few small chips here or there. I did 3 coats of black primer, 4 or 5 coats of black, and I think 4 of clear. I actually used rustoleum lol and it's held up pretty good. But if you have the money, def powder coat em. Paint won't look as good or last as long.

speckdzl4shzl

"Gym Junkie"
Reaction score
i painted mine...they still look good after 2.5 years or so. as long as you take your time with the prep work you'll be fine.

i used black Appliance Lacquer and i didnt even clear coat them. i have MINIMAL chips, from taking them on and off and scuffing a curb. nothing a black sharpie couldnt handle....

gearhead899

Reaction score
Post pics after you paint them.
will do! i whent last night and got all the supplies. got 2 cans of adhesion promoter, 2 cans of primer, 4 cans of color (high temp engine enamel) and 4 cans of clear (duplicolor wheel paint). stay tuned for pics! will be starting the project tomorrow morning :top:

rios

Reaction score
what about plasti-dip?

do those work for wheels?

gearhead899

Reaction score
DAMN!! thats the first iv seen that and its one of the coolest things iv ever seen! thats really awesome. that would be a great idea to try it on wheels! even for winter driving to protect them, then in the spring just peel it off. like a protective layer :biggrin:

gearhead899

Reaction score
ok all done! took just about 4 hours to get everything done. Im very happy how it turned out! here are some pics...

IMG_0384.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg

IMG_0388.jpg

Top Bottom