Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Power programmers for semi stock?

x20Runner05

Reaction score
I have my 2013 Prerunner. I know I am stock now but I know I will prolly in the future get a intake and exhaust and leave it at that. I am looking for a programmer if there are any out there that will help free up some power being hidden inside. I know they do have the UCON but didn't really want to go that route unless i really had to ( no offense to Gadget ). I do know they have the MAF cal with the plug n play harness. But wasn't sure if that was gonna get me the most hidden power.

justin13703

Reaction score
The mad cal will probably give you more power than any of those handheld tuners. I've used them before on previous vehicles and they didn't do shit.

Slywhitty

"Midget Magnet"
Reaction score
The mad cal will probably give you more power than any of those handheld tuners. I've used them before on previous vehicles and they didn't do shit.

Also there IS NO handheld tuner for our trucks lol

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually, there is now.
Still in testing as they are looking for a variety of different vehicles.

Slywhitty

"Midget Magnet"
Reaction score
Actually, there is now.
Still in testing as they are looking for a variety of different vehicles.

Well spill the beans!! Lol who is making it? Is it being made for 09 and up as well?

davesX

Reaction score
looks like that might be a good tuner, especially for us n/a guys that don't have the funds to go sc...have to wait and see what the price will be on that..

justin13703

Reaction score
Damn, I wouldn't be paying 900 for a handheld tuner when you could save up a few hundred more and get a piggyback ecu. Hell you can get an x1 these days for less than that. I'm glad to see companies opening up more options, but 900 dollars for a handheld tuner is a little rediculous.

And yeah that thing will be no competition for the ucon lol

Slywhitty

"Midget Magnet"
Reaction score
Damn, I wouldn't be paying 900 for a handheld tuner when you could save up a few hundred more and get a piggyback ecu. Hell you can get an x1 these days for less than that

Totally agree with ya on that one.

x20Runner05

Reaction score
Damn, I wouldn't be paying 900 for a handheld tuner when you could save up a few hundred more and get a piggyback ecu. Hell you can get an x1 these days for less than that
I was hoping something cheaper. But I would hate to spend $1200 just for some software to accommodate a little exhaust and intake I only plan on doing to my truck

ToyotaTacoma4Ever

Reaction score
I highly doubt that. The ucon has way more ability then that thing will.

Yes that is true, but I can see people going towards this because its cheaper, if you want a quality and to have more of a controlling ECU then go with URD

Damn, I wouldn't be paying 900 for a handheld tuner when you could save up a few hundred more and get a piggyback ecu. Hell you can get an x1 these days for less than that. I'm glad to see companies opening up more options, but 900 dollars for a handheld tuner is a little rediculous.

And yeah that thing will be no competition for the ucon lol

For the longest time I've seen the UCON selling for 1500$? Just curious how the turn out will be when the UCON becomes available for 09+

justin13703

Reaction score
Yeah, if you're gonna spend 900 on a handheld, save up 6 more and just get a ucon. More power, more support, more features, better for future upgrades etc. plus the guardian feature is a life saver to have. Which is something I'm pretty sure a handheld won't ever give you.

ToyotaTacoma4Ever

Reaction score
Yeah, if you're gonna spend 900 on a handheld, save up 6 more and just get a ucon. More power, more support, more features, better for future upgrades etc. plus the guardian feature is a life saver to have. Which is something I'm pretty sure a handheld won't ever give you.

Yeah for sure, I'm still waiting for the UCON myself lol

Gadget

Reaction score
There are some advantages to reflash tuning and disadvantages.

The big advantage it is easy. The big disadvantage is you are just running a pre-canned tune that was developed on another vehicle in another location and so on. It cannot compensate for the subtle differences in each vehicle, like how each MAF sensor reads a hair different, each injector puts out a different amount of fuel, each FPR holds a slightly different pressure and so on. The pre-canned tune cannot compensate for all these subtle differences. If the tune is not to aggressive then there is head room and it won't matter to much.

What it cannot do is make the ECU do something it does not really doing now, like self tuning in open loop, run additional injectors, engine guardian and run other external devices.

Remember that TRD reflash is reflash tuning and we have seen how on some trucks they run super rich, some run super lean, and some are just right all with the very same program.

I think it will be good, but it will never be at the level the UCON is.

G

Reaction score
Seems like the BD unit will let you change shift parameters for autos. Can the UCON do that? Not being an ass just wondering.

Last edited:

jboy671

Reaction score
As it stands now there is still no pnp tuning option for 2010 and up. It's easy to say save a few hundred more and get the ucon if you have a supported year. Those of use who are still waiting are not going to buy something that requires cutting up wires. Add to that a standalone ecu is even more money for those of us who want to just gain some kind of fuel economy or even just to play around with a few settings like shift points or removing the governor. I used to use diablo programmers and while they have "canned" tunes when you buy them custom tunes can still be loaded. The nice thing about these programmers is that they store the factory file before you flash anything else so you will always have that baseline to go back to. Now people with trd s/c can possibly tune the ecu with the bdog. This is because they actually "cracked" the toyota ecu. I would rather pay to be able to reflash/edit the factory ecu than to deal with a piggy back. I'm buying the bdog for my 2010 asap because honestly it's the only viable option right now.

justin13703

Reaction score
As it stands now there is still no pnp tuning option for 2010 and up. It's easy to say save a few hundred more and get the ucon if you have a supported year. Those of use who are still waiting are not going to buy something that requires cutting up wires. Add to that a standalone ecu is even more money for those of us who want to just gain some kind of fuel economy or even just to play around with a few settings like shift points or removing the governor. I used to use diablo programmers and while they have "canned" tunes when you buy them custom tunes can still be loaded. The nice thing about these programmers is that they store the factory file before you flash anything else so you will always have that baseline to go back to. Now people with trd s/c can possibly tune the ecu with the bdog. This is because they actually "cracked" the toyota ecu. I would rather pay to be able to reflash/edit the factory ecu than to deal with a piggy back. I'm buying the bdog for my 2010 asap because honestly it's the only viable option right now.

My point was that for the cost, I don't see it being worth it. The factory ecu can only do so much and a piggyback has countless features and adjustments over it. And from a company like URD, you know they will take care of you. You bring up a good point about the 09-up not having a pnp harness yet, the way I see it its a matter of how bad you want it. If you're absolutely dead set on having something right this second, without having to splice wires, then yeah it's about your only option. Personally if I had an 09+, I'd just hang out until gadget gets the harnesses made. He will get them made.

If this thing cost 200-400 dollars, I would say yeah it's worth it. But just shy of 1k, I wouldn't be buying it. Personally it would eat at me if I spent 1k on a handheld tuner and a few months later the harnesses were released and I could have had a piggyback tuned specifically for my exact truck with countless more features for a few hundred more. Just my opinion

Top Bottom