Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Pressure Plate = FAIL

Armond30

Reaction score
How many people here have had their pressure plate get weak and fail on them? Mine has slowly been getting worse and worse over the past 8 months or so, but now it's completely done. I took the slave cylinder guard off and looked at it while a friend pressed the pedal in. THe slave cylinder goes full travel, the throw out bearing presses the release fingers in, but the large contact surface stays put. you can even see where the strap hooks that connect the contact surface to the opposite end of the release finger levers have bent to a level where they aren't doing anything anymore. it sucks that this happened at 62,000 miles. This is the second problem I have had with this truck (LSD not LS'ing after about 15K miles of hard driving kinda pisses me off, but I can get the eaton diff to fix that problem). I am buying another stock plate (113 bucks) because I HAVE to have this truck run immediately, but I don't like the idea of yanking the trans every 60K. Are there any alternatives besides centerforce?

4VsX

Reaction score
Im pretty sure its only centerforce. But I could be wrong!

Gadget

Reaction score
The 05s came with a pressure plate made by Luk. Later these were replaced with clutch assemblies from Aisan. The Aisan pressure plates are very different.

There may of been some issues with the older style Luk plates and that is why they started using the newer Aisan clutch assemblies.

Gadget

morcheez

Reaction score
oh great so now i have something to worry about:motz:

Armond30

Reaction score
oh good! hopefully the new PP will last the full life of the clutch. That info makes my day a little better (that and hearing the TRD blower can make 300+ wheel with simple bolt ons :). I have a new goal :) ).

PLCX

Reaction score
i had to replace my clutch after 12k because i learned on my x and cause of all the burnout i was doing........:biggrin:

i dont do them any more :laugh:

Armond30

Reaction score
well, I foudn out that my dealer gave me the wrong price (figures). I had to pay the full 188 for the pressure plate, but it should be here tomorrow. Hopefully i will eb driving my truck again by saturday

Armond30

Reaction score
well, been a long holiday week. I still haven't uploaded the pics, but as it turns out, it was actually my clutch disk that failed (I replaced both pressure plate and disk 'though). I collapsed a few of the hub springs (one spring broke at EVERY turn). The new clutch looks pretty beefy 'though, so hopefully it will last. While I was at it, I filled up my shifter (shaft) with polyeurathane. no more sloppy shifting. Only thing that stinks is my 3rd gear syncro is on it's last leg due to the previous abuse (sloppy shifts) and teh day of driving without a clutch. oh well. win some, loose some. I will probably fix it the next time the trans has to come out (whenever that is).

SUODRAXAH

Reaction score
I had tons of problems with my first clutch and tranny. You're not gonna like this but they replaced both under warrenty...

Top Bottom