Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Recessed MX Grill

Vince77

Reaction score
Recessed Grill (updated again...) For mounting pic

Finally got around to this mod.
I had the grill craft mx grill but wanted it recessed back so there was a lip around it.

First I had to fill the cut out from the bars from the stock grill, and the holes from where the grill mounts normally.
I used painters tape as a backing and super glues plastic fusion epoxy (see pic at bottom of page) I'm sure you could use some bondo, but it may not be as strong. I used a drimel and a sanding block to sand down the epoxy and where the plastic fins were from the stock grill. Then some finer sand paper and a 3M green scratch pad to smooth it out some.
IMG_0292.jpg

Lots and lots of sanding. :argh:
IMG_0311.jpg

Forgot to add this part... You have to trim a little of the plastic to get the grill to mount centered. And this is how I mounted the grill for now....till I find a better way.
IMG_0308-1.jpg

Then some paint. Flat black, lost count of how many coasts. I scuffed it a little between coats with the 3M pad.
IMG_0304.jpg

And here's how it came out.
Its not flawless but you can't tell unless your way too close. :biggrin:

IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0314.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

grill3.jpg

This is the stuff I used to fill in the cut outs on the side. Used 2 1/2. This stuff is good and strong. :top:

Attachments

• Epoxy.jpg
    Epoxy.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 732
Last edited:

morcheez

Reaction score
man that is freakin sick...if i had my truck i would be doing this tomorrow :top: ...gives the front of the truck so much more depth :rock:

Vince77

Reaction score
man that is freakin sick...if i had my truck i would be doing this tomorrow :top: ...gives the front of the truck so much more depth :rock:

Thank you. I liked the TRD grills on the tundras, they were recessed back kinda like that.

morcheez

Reaction score
i just remember it from this truck...thought it looked good on here...but on yours it looks much better
2007-toyota-tacoma-v8-incross-concept.jpg

overdriven

Reaction score
I'm definitely likin this too. I was really never sold on the mx, but this makes me want one more

Sykotic336

Reaction score
dang that looks sook... i still wanna get the mx one but its just my intake is there and its cool to think that people would think wtf its in the front but then haters would do some **** to it you know? thats the only thing thats stopping me from getting it but on the other hand its awesome bro:rockon:

05bluerunner

Reaction score
You just changed my mind, I was looking to get the bg style. As soon as my bank account recovers from buying the avic-d3, dtlt, caltrac bars....I've bought too much in the 3 months I've had my truck. Thanks for puting ideas in my head!:rolleyez:

alaxrunner

Reaction score
that is sweet,looks good bro,i like it alot more like this,if i had the grillcraft i would def do this mod.:top:

Vince77

Reaction score
Thanx guys. :biggrin: I've had it planned for a while just got around to it.

Vince77

Reaction score
i just remember it from this truck...thought it looked good on here...but on yours it looks much better
2007-toyota-tacoma-v8-incross-concept.jpg

Never seen this. This would look badazz in a different color. But gold :hmmmm2:

Dangit! now I need a new sig.

Last edited:

jmony55

Reaction score
nice work. i have the mx series too, but i never thought of mounting it where you put yours. very nice. if i had only seen this before then i would have done the same.

Vince77

Reaction score
nice work. i have the mx series too, but i never thought of mounting it where you put yours. very nice. if i had only seen this before then i would have done the same.

I had it mounted how it normally goes, just changed it up. You can still see the holes where the screws were. I still have to fill those in.

PLCX

Reaction score
looks so good i may have to do this

VIPDreamin

"Mr. Incredible"
Reaction score
Wow man I like that. Too bad I can;t do it with my set up:frown:

shook

Reaction score
Looks very good, I gotta finish mine :top:

rpmspeedyblue

Reaction score
Awesome job Vince77!!!:rock:How did you mount the grill from the back ?

Top Bottom