Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Say bye bye to kids' motorcycles

RedXRunner

"Splash Baby Douchecanoe"
Reaction score
i guess the X Games will suck in the future.

We will have 50 years old...doing backflips

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
WOW that's so retarded...its not like you have the kids sucking and licking on the frame of the bike...:stupid:

does congress have nothing better to do than waste money...:motz: seriously...I got a XR50 hopped up with a takegawa 90cc with race head...My nephew rides it every time I he comes over to my house and I baby sit him...How do people expect to teach young 1 to learn how to ride responsibly and improve their riding skills if they won't allow kids to ride until their 15...:hmmmm2: we aren't born with fear and some kids at the age of 15 are just to scared to even jump on a bike and learn...

what happens to the racing industry for the young ones? they make lots of money and show a lot of support for the younger riders and these younger riders are also the future to this sport...

I guess I'm going to Honda this week and buying another XR50/CRF50 before they stop production...

Stevenredx

Reaction score
whoa.... I didn't even believe that article at first so i did some investigating and it is indeed true. I really don't see how this will stick for long tho, or at-least i hope. The other thing we can hope for is that people find the loopholes in this system and work around it. IDK, but I'm sending an email to complain, this is just taking it to far.

WCD

Reaction score
It's dumb because there's a current Euro standard that seems to work just fine, but then the CPSA steps in with something more strict and unnecessary.

If enough people complain, hopefully the standard will be rolled back in line with what Europe already has on the books. Honda's products already meet the Euro standards, as does any other manufacturer who sells in Europe.

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
work your magic steven...cause I want to send an email 2...:motz:

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Guys, please keep the political comments out of this thread or we'll have to close it. I know it's going to be tough, but discuss the law - now the lawmakers.

BlackCat

Reaction score
Well, this is a classical example of a law with good intentions gone amok. Protecting children from lead is a good cause, but attempting to put a blanket statement on all "children's products" without carefully investigating what exactly a "children's product" is, let alone what contains more than 600ppm of lead (which basically could be almost anything metallic under the hood of a vehicle let alone other things that children would never routinely attempt to suck, chew or swallow) results in situations like this.

Interesting that what started this whole scare were the flurry of consumer alerts in the last three years over Chinese children's toys that were found to be stuffed full of lead, melamine, PCB's and other nice and fluffy agents. And the rush to action, however noble, wound up with an umbrella law that makes small displacement motorcycles illegal.

We complain sometimes about how slow Washington DC is at enacting new laws... sometimes, such as in this case, they're just not slow enough.

trd_sport

Reaction score
Well I just read through the CPSIA. There are exemptions available and a stay of compliance on regulations till 2010. This will not have the outcome the headlines suggest.

Gadget

Reaction score
Just the tip of the iceberg that is coming folks.

When the gobment takes over the helth care costs, lots of things will be band for public health reasons.

Get ready boys, central planning is coming...

Maybe there will be lots of jobs created building that Berlin Wall to keep us from fleeing.

G

KrazyStuntRR

Reaction score
K all I really gotta say is " they " B*tch about how people on "motorcycles" are putting themselves at rish and learn on machines well past their experience or are too powerful for their experience, YET they pass this (i'm canadian but our government is talkin about this aswell) so now they gotta learn on bigger machines and more dangerous machines and put themselves at more risk then is needed...

is it just ME or does this NOT make sense?

metalheadx

Reaction score
K all I really gotta say is " they " B*tch about how people on "motorcycles" are putting themselves at rish and learn on machines well past their experience or are too powerful for their experience, YET they pass this (i'm canadian but our government is talkin about this aswell) so now they gotta learn on bigger machines and more dangerous machines and put themselves at more risk then is needed...

i agree the law uses bigger and riskier stuff and cops use bikes for traffic too ask them what age they got there first bike

BlackCat

Reaction score

The whole intent of this law has nothing to do with motorcycles. It's all about kiddy toys with lead in them. But the law was written with umbrella language to be all inclusive of anything that kids can come into contact with... which includes small displacement motorcycles.

KrazyStuntRR

Reaction score
The whole intent of this law has nothing to do with motorcycles. It's all about kiddy toys with lead in them. But the law was written with umbrella language to be all inclusive of anything that kids can come into contact with... which includes small displacement motorcycles.

I can totally understand that intent... but small displacement motorcycles are i think minor on the list of things parents should be worried about.. majority of that "lead" scare are the toys children try to put in their mouth and/or make contact with on a completly regular basis like everyday type things.. i dont know too many 10-11yr olds who try to put motorcycles in their mouth or eat any liquid they see leaking from the motorcycle itself..
kids having these bikes is i think is very low on the scale on things to be worried about but thats just my opinion..

I think a much better way to do it would be like the smoking thing.. make the danger visable on the brochures etc etc and if parents allow their kids to play with these machines they do so at their own risk, and/or if they "should" get some sickness from the amount of lead that is present and its decided the bike was the reason for it that health care shouldnt cover anything that is required aka the do so at your own risk... I think that would have been a much better law or bylaw or w/e then to ban them all together.

trd_sport

Reaction score
^no more health care for lead poisoned 12yr olds.......woohoo!!!!!!!:rofl:

KrazyStuntRR

Reaction score
^no more health care for lead poisoned 12yr olds.......woohoo!!!!!!!:rofl:
I don't mean for all lead poisoning cases but like I said if they determine the bike was the cause of it.. put that warning out and then its all on the parents and no one else IF lead poisoning happens as a cause of these supposedly "dangerous" children toys such as the CRF50 and such... I just mean make it more held as the parents responsibility then anyone else's when it comes to stuff like this and not just well we're too lazy to actually think up of a "reasonable" stakes of owning things then to just ban them all together.

rich017

Reaction score
**** that.

No one is going to stop there kid from riding that already is. Simple as that.

Top Bottom