Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Shane's URD MRKlll++ supercharger Build

shane881510

Reaction score
Yea she loves it. She said I'm not allowed to drive it. Lol it's a four speed mt 400sbc high rise intake, 750 holly, aluminum heads. 38" 15 x15 wheels 12" lift. Got a good deal on it.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Going to be the unicorn of the party.

iniazy

Reaction score
http://www.treadstoneperformance.com/product.phtml?p=68052&prodname=Vacuum+Check+Valve

3/8"

Only necessary on pre-throttle body F/I applications. The next best thing is to completely remove the pcv system from the intake. Make it a vent to atmosphere setup with a catch can. Then boost pressure can never get into the crank case, minus the minimal compression ring blow-by. Unless a ring land goes bad.

I'm starting to seriously question the affectiveness of those check valves. I've orderd a couple for my Fortuner, and installed on on my brake booster line and another on my crank case breather line.

The brake booster line was a safety hazard. It would restrict the vacuum on the brake booster and several times I lost brake boost while driving. I immediately removed it.

The one on the crank case breather, since I installed it, my oil catch can is barely catching any oil at all, very little oil is cought. I'm worried the check valve is preventing the crank case from breathing. I think I'm going to remove this one too. I have got the valve between the catch can and the intake, not between the PCV valve and catch can, which I believe is the correct set up.

Gadget

Reaction score
Try this simple test.

Put your lips on the brake booster vacuum line and blow into it. I think you will find that the check valve built into the brake booster to trap the vacuum is sufficient.

Next do the same for the PCV valve. I think you will find it does a very good job of preventing back flow as well. If it leaks it might be worn out and need replacement.

G

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm starting to seriously question the affectiveness of those check valves. I've orderd a couple for my Fortuner, and installed on on my brake booster line and another on my crank case breather line.

The brake booster line was a safety hazard. It would restrict the vacuum on the brake booster and several times I lost brake boost while driving. I immediately removed it.

The one on the crank case breather, since I installed it, my oil catch can is barely catching any oil at all, very little oil is cought. I'm worried the check valve is preventing the crank case from breathing. I think I'm going to remove this one too. I have got the valve between the catch can and the intake, not between the PCV valve and catch can, which I believe is the correct set up.

Hmm. Very strange. I've had mine on for years. Never had an issue.

I did completely remove the brake booster hose while trying to troubleshoot another issue. Unbelievable bow much pressure was needed to make the brakes work. Luckily I was driving slowly. Concerned me instantly. Proves that mine is still working properly.

Maybe they changed to a different manufacturer?

iniazy

Reaction score
Try this simple test.

Put your lips on the brake booster vacuum line and blow into it. I think you will find that the check valve built into the brake booster to trap the vacuum is sufficient.

Next do the same for the PCV valve. I think you will find it does a very good job of preventing back flow as well. If it leaks it might be worn out and need replacement.

G

I believe you're right Gadget.

Hmm. Very strange. I've had mine on for years. Never had an issue.

I did completely remove the brake booster hose while trying to troubleshoot another issue. Unbelievable bow much pressure was needed to make the brakes work. Luckily I was driving slowly. Concerned me instantly. Proves that mine is still working properly.

Maybe they changed to a different manufacturer?

No idea. I used to catch oil even while NA. Now with boost oil is not collecting at all in my catch can. And I'm quite sure I fitted the valve at the correct direction.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
The catch can won't work anymore with the same vacuum hose routing as N/A. Since your boost is pre-throttle body. If it were a TRD S/C it would.

Your best bet is to have both valve covers route into the can then have a vent to atmosphere filter on it.

Such as this.

Last edited:

shane881510

Reaction score
That's how i did mine. Run both valve covers into one catch can. It works great..

iniazy

Reaction score
The catch can won't work anymore with the same vacuum hose routing as N/A. Since your boost is pre-throttle body. If it were a TRD S/C it would.

Your best bet is to have both valve covers route into the can then have a vent to atmosphere filter on it.

Such as this.

Hmmmmm

I don't understand why wouldn't it. There's still vacuum when the throttle is closed, which should help extract the oil vapor. Also, the problem with having the breather on the passenger side hooked up to the catch can is that that breather does not have a PCV valve, so boost will leak into it. Unless I put a check valve there, or like you said let it vent to the atmosphere.

My catch can has two inlet ports, I can use it for both heads. But I'm questioning the wisdom of it.

How did you fit that fitting on to the passenger side vent?

Edit: What I'm going to do is remove the check valve and see if I start collecting oil again in my catch can. If I do, then I know the chech valve was too restrictive. If still not collecting oil, then I'll hook up the other passenger side breather to the catch can and put the check valve back on.

Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
We removed the pcv valve and the large passenger port..re-tapped both with 3/8" NPT. I am using -8AN to 3/8" fittings for the valve covers. With 8AN hose into my catch can.

No intake air of any kind is going into the crank case.

As before when i had it attached, the catch can would see vacuum and boost. Which also meant that the crank case was seeing boost. (No check valve).

In the pictures above, his is N/A. He's using -10AN lines and fitting. With the port on his intake (pre-throttle body) capped. As well as the port on the driver side of the upper plenum being capped.

shane881510

Reaction score
Spirit booster + urd supercharger = truck in weeds an or ditch. I'm gonna order one tomarrow

shane881510

Reaction score
Just got drop off. Wife took my keys to the truck I can't get in to install. Can't wait to try it.

Redlantern

Reaction score
Interesting. I'm curious to see how well that works. What will the sprint booster plug into since you have the ucon plugged in to the ecu?

Top Bottom