Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Shane's URD MRKlll++ supercharger Build

Gadget

Reaction score
Werty was running E85 with an X-1 tune. There have been a lot of engine failures on E85. That may be due to the inconsistent quality of the fuel.

The rest seem to have pushed the edge of engine durability. Kevin was really beating the snot out of his engine doing the drift thing with it in the rev limiter more than most.

Not sure about Kwiggs or what his situation is.

Shane, there is one super aggressive driver. I have seen his logs with amazingly fast shifts at redline and power shifting a lot. I know it was suggested to him to ease up on it several times.

There is a limit to engine durability and how much abuse it will take and how long it will take it. As more people are pushing the envelope you will see more engine failures.

When you are working with double or more of the stock engine power the risk also increases as well. I always tell people that push the power up and beat the snot out of it at the same time to have a back up plan ready to put into effect when something brakes.

G

Super Werty

Reaction score
yea I was running an X-1 with an E85 tune from Allan Phillips

I was advised by Gadget to not try it after he looked over the tune and I paid the price.

After i got a new engine I bought a ucon, and then a URD supercharger. I will never look back.

Gadgets advice is golden

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
Wilson you also have to keep in mind that the UCON is only available for 08 and under, it's not new motors these guys are pushing the limits on....

kwigs160966

Reaction score
My motor has 115000kms on it so its not huge mileage or anything. I don't drive flat out but of course I put my foot into it once in a while. My motor isn't "poped" either I am pretty sure it is just a head gasket. Maybe the boost cause the head to lift a little. I dunno. I am more using it as an excuse to do some work to it while I can show the wife that I "need to" (white smoke) lol

And as g said motors came with 236hp and are pushing 450hp at the wheels so say close to 500 at the crank.

Last edited:

justin13703

Reaction score
So can someone explain to me why there are so many engines on the forum right now popping? I'm no mechanic but I do see a trend occurring.

Superwerty - UCON --> pop
SDXrunner (kev) - UCON --> pop
Kwiggs - UCON --> pop
Shane - UCON --> pop

All those motors had fragile stock internals. The ucon isn't causing people to blow motors, the ucon gives people the ability to keep pushing the power up higher and higher and if thyre not strengthened somehow they're eventually gonna break. All those guys were making very high hp numbers.

Sproulesxrunner

Reaction score
Werty was running E85 with an X-1 tune. There have been a lot of engine failures on E85. That may be due to the inconsistent quality of the fuel.

The rest seem to have pushed the edge of engine durability. Kevin was really beating the snot out of his engine doing the drift thing with it in the rev limiter more than most.

Not sure about Kwiggs or what his situation is.

Shane, there is one super aggressive driver. I have seen his logs with amazingly fast shifts at redline and power shifting a lot. I know it was suggested to him to ease up on it several times.

There is a limit to engine durability and how much abuse it will take and how long it will take it. As more people are pushing the envelope you will see more engine failures.

When you are working with double or more of the stock engine power the risk also increases as well. I always tell people that push the power up and beat the snot out of it at the same time to have a back up plan ready to put into effect when something brakes.

G

So basically with the mk3 and UCON members are pushing past what the engine can take when using the xs hard.

shane881510

Reaction score
9.1:1 compression pistons and better rods are coming soon in my future. I like kwings wife excuss alot. mine was more like" it's down look at this compression gauge". need rod and pistons that way it don't happen again soon.

kwigs160966

Reaction score
9.1:1 compression pistons and better rods are coming soon in my future. I like kwings wife excuss alot. mine was more like" it's down look at this compression gauge". need rod and pistons that way it don't happen again soon.

Lol I wish it were that easy. 9.1:1 what was the reason to go that route. I still haven't decided which way to go with pistons. Dezod only has one option. Where can I find others?y

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
Lol I wish it were that easy. 9.1:1 what was the reason to go that route. I still haven't decided which way to go with pistons. Dezod only has one option. Where can I find others?y

Contact Dezod, they aren't limited to one option, my CP pistons were made to spec for me and took about 4 weeks. You can get anything you want.

Arias, and JE also make pistons for the 1GR but IMO CP are more proven and thus I went that route!

And IMO unless you plan on going +15lbs of boost 9:1 is too low. You will be loosing a lot of low end

Last edited:

Gadget

Reaction score
So basically with the mk3 and UCON members are pushing past what the engine can take when using the xs hard.

Well, maybe.

I have been running my engine way higher power than most all of the customer's systems for a very long time. I do not drive like gradma, but I am not at full RPM full throttle constantly, speed shifting, power shifting and generally abusing the truck. I have fun with it.

When I went to the road race course at VIR, I did back the power down to stage 2 level and I did hammer on it with race gas in it.

Remember that even completely stock engines break, blow head gaskets, have bearing failures and can snap a rod. We all know people that just abuse the hell out of vehicles. I know I have in the past. We all know people that take mom's car out and trash it then wonder why it breaks.

When you increase the power, you increase the risk. There could be some hidden factory defect in a rod or piston that is there and when you double the power of the engine it might just show its ugly head.

URD was the first to make a forced induction kit for the 1GR.
URD was the first to brake 300 RWHP with the 1GR.
URD was the first to brake 400 RWHP with the 1GR.
URD will most likely be the first to brake 500 RWHP with a supercharger system in the 1GR. One customer has hit 485 RWHP.

URD has shipped a LOT of supercharger kits over the years. There are a lot of our system out there and the systems have proven very reliable. We have seen very few problems overall. We did see a large spike in engine failures on the Mk1 systems when the customers started running the X1 with those older systems which I believe was a tuning issue and it was a tune URD had nothing to do with. Other than that issue it we have seen good reliability even with our Mk3 Stage 3 system, but make no mistake about it, when you more than double stock HP levels and beat the hell out of it at the same time your risk does increase. One tank of bad gas (Cali folks) and you might be calling me asking if I can hook you up with a nice used engine.

We have gained a good bit of experience over the years and when we suggest that your driving style combine with the power level will likely lead to an issue and maybe you should ease up on the power or driving style you may want to listen or have a spare engine handy.

Currently the UCON is shipping unlocked. The customer can get into the software and make changes to the AFR and spark timing. Now if someone gets in there and thinks they can do a better job of tuning their truck and go just a hair to far and brake something, what do you think you will hear on the forums?? Do you think you will hear that Johnny was jacking around with his tune on Cali gas with his TRD and 14 different boost step up pulleys and broke it, or do you think you will hear that Johnny had a UCON and his engine broke?? People will always blame the parts over their own actions every time so keep that in mind.

I guess in one way the answer to your question is yes, but there are a lot of other things to consider also. There is a ratio of power, risk, cost that you have to factor in anything you start powering things up. The URD supercharger systems can take you the max limits, it can also take you past them. We still have not seen where the -91 will take us yet.

G

MadToy

Reaction score
Will the truck throw codes if the cam gears are installed with the incorrect timing? Or will it not even run?

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
9.5:1 will be best for most of you guys. Like hottacox said. Unless you are going to really push the engine, that is a good choice for most. Completely up to the buyer though.

Gadget

Reaction score
Will the truck throw codes if the cam gears are installed with the incorrect timing? Or will it not even run?

It will run like crap. If to far out you can let the valves hitting the pistons.

Just follow the instructions and do it correctly. It is very simple to get right if you follow the instructions.

G

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score

It will run like crap. If to far out you can let the valves hitting the pistons.

Just follow the instructions and do it correctly. It is very simple to get right if you follow the instructions.

G

Correct, and might even cause misfire codes.

MadToy

Reaction score
Correct, and might even cause misfire codes.

But if it's only slightly off, couldn't that cause the issues of trying to get the tune nailed? It'll run like crap, and cause you to think the tune is bad, when it's really a mechanical problem.

Gadget

Reaction score
If you are running the exhaust cam gears they must be properly installed. There is no option.

G

MadToy

Reaction score
If you are running the exhaust cam gears they must be properly installed. There is no option.

G

Ah - gotcha. I'm thinking old school of setting the timing gear off a tooth on a camshaft install. Wreaked havoc with trying to tune, but the car still ran fine at times with no codes. :smile:

kwigs160966

Reaction score
So what ki d of boost out put do you think that the 91 system will put out? I am sleeving the block and upgradi g rods and pistons For a start. I would like to push it further with a built motor. So maybe I should at least go with 9.5:1 comp ratio but if you go 9.1:1 could you still run pump gas?

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
So what ki d of boost out put do you think that the 91 system will put out? I am sleeving the block and upgradi g rods and pistons For a start. I would like to push it further with a built motor. So maybe I should at least go with 9.5:1 comp ratio but if you go 9.1:1 could you still run pump gas?

Yes. Older Subaru WRX's come with 8.5:1. You are thinking in reverse. I can easily see you making mid 5's with either choice of piston. One just allows for more timing advance than the other. Per say.

Top Bottom