Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Snow tires

redarkx

Reaction score
All right northern guys and gals. I'm from Arkansas and I hardly ever see snow down here, and if it does then the whole city shuts down. I'm fixing to move to a place that actually has a winter, Columbia, IL, and I was wondering how the XR will handle snow. Do I need snow tires? Are blizzacks a good investment? Should I just try to by a beater and park it in the garage during the snow? These are all questions I cant figure out. Any help is appreciated guys!

hiflyer

Reaction score
I ran blizzaks last year + 100lbs in the bed and it was pretty good :)

That said, you can't beat 4x4 for traction...

Dirty

Reaction score
blizzacks are pretty awesome. i had them on my 2wd dakota and it toughed through some serious powder. just dont forget to throw some weight in the back.

redarkx

Reaction score
True, but I don't know if I'll be able to by anything by winter. Moving up there January 1st. :(

justin13703

Reaction score
If you can get a beater. I bought a 97 Cherokee for like 500 dollars and it's a tank in the snow. That being said, if you try to drive the x in the snow with the stock potenzas, I have gotten stuck in a flat parking lot. With a dusting of snow. Either get snow tires and put weight in there or get a beater that way if someone else slides into you it's not the x.

darthyota

Reaction score
The best winter tires you can get are a Nokian hakkapeliitta 5 studded. Now that being said the x Is really good in the winter even with out wieght but like others have said you can not run the stock potenza or any other summer only tire as the rubber compounds arent ment for the cold

Canadian Girl

Reaction score
I run X-Ice by Michelin... and go out and buy this

http://www.shurtrax.com/

Worth its $$$ in gold.... saved me a few dozen times... plus it doesn't becoming a projectile god forbid you are in an accident

MplsX

Reaction score
I love my shurtrax! I keep it in the bed most of the time since it makes the ride much smoother. Lowers the rear a bit also. Highly recommended!

dcaff05XR

Reaction score
The Blizzaks will be fine. I live in jersey. If u wanna throw some weight u can. I got cheap 16in. sport edition wheels with Blizzaks mounted and balanced and shipped for $800. The truck is fun and controlable. tirerack.com

butters607

Reaction score
um i would get them studded studded snows are absolutely awesome

Top Bottom