Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Squeal with the TR BBK

FireB

Reaction score
I have been experiencing a very loud squeal with the TR BBK.

It was OK for 2 months but these days, it's loud enough for my family to hear it 5 blocks down and have the front entrance door open for me even before I enter the driveway.

Is there any way I can lower or eliminate the sound that it is making?
I am sure that the pads are not worn down as it has only been 3,000 miles.
Should I Bed them again? What is a solution for something like this?

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
I have been experiencing a very loud squeal with the TR BBK.

It was OK for 2 months but these days, it's loud enough for my family to hear it 5 blocks down and have the front entrance door open for me even before I enter the driveway.

Is there any way I can lower or eliminate the sound that it is making?
I am sure that the pads are not worn down as it has only been 3,000 miles.
Should I Bed them again? What is a solution for something like this?

Put your stock brakes on and sell the kit to someone who actually uses a bbk. Or learn to live with it.

High performance pad compound will make noise when cold. Sometimes driving aggressivly will help it, other times its just part of normal operation. You may be able to switch to a shitty (less agressive, fades quicker) compound that may be quieter.

FireB

Reaction score
Well, did not know all BBK makes a squeal like that.
I just figured there was a way to tone it done that's all.
I'm not bitching that this is the end of the world dude!

I will try to bed it again since it didn't make the sound when I bed it the first time.
Hopefully, it will tone it down a little.

And there is no way that I am going back stock.
That's like a suicidal mission!

Thanks for the input.

hrspwr236

Reaction score
My TRD BBK made some sequels but they were not that audible especially over the sound of the exhaust. Your explination does sound a little exaggerated but i dont think it should be that loud.

FireB

Reaction score
My TRD BBK made some sequels but they were not that audible especially over the sound of the exhaust. Your explination does sound a little exaggerated but i dont think it should be that loud.

Thanks for your words.
It's funny since I live very close to a high school and every single person turns around when I am about to stop at the stop sign so wondering if it was that loud.
I have the windows closed so figure the sound is twice as much as I hear it inside.

But again, gonna stop complaining as GTR's do the same thing and it is a lot more expensive car. LOL

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
All bbk's squeal when not warmed up, unless like stated above, you swap out the pad compound, my rotora kit will, my fiance's g37 does and inlaws srt8 JGC.

It is possible that something is loose or the pad is rattling... IMO check that everything is to spec and go out and re-bed in the brakes and see if the squeal is still there

MORT-RUNNER

Reaction score
Here's a non-sarcastic/mean answer for you...

Find a road that's long, open, and free of pedestrians and traffic. Speed up and then slow down to about 20 mph. At that point hit your brakes hard. I've done this a couple of times, and helped with the squeaking, but it comes back down the road.

this is all part of having performance brakes. Trust me, you don't want to go back down to stock brakes. I drive loaner cars and other peoples cars, and I freak at how crummy brakes are.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Why is everyone getting butt hurt that i stated the truth? Lol. If you drive a car with performance brakes like a grandma, they are gonna make noise.

Even luxury toyotas....i.e....lexus fpsort, isf, ls-fsport and even the older gs350/is350 had brake noise. Its not a design defect, its a needed upgrade to handle an 300hp-400hp 4000lb+ sports sedan.

You cant have both. Quiet brakes, stick with oem non performance brakes. You actually want performance brakes, guess what? You are gonna get performance side effects....

FireB

Reaction score
In all honesty, all I said was to maybe able to quiet down the squeal that's all.
I never said "I can't take this anymore!!! This is F*cukin stupid!"
I like the brake but being a lot louder than how it used to be 3 months ago, I decided to ask on the forum.
I know it squeals, it was like that from the first time (Much quieter back then).
And when you live in a school zone, I don't know how you can not make it squeal under 20mph without snapping your neck.

Thank you everyone for their tips, gonna check everything is in spec, do some re-bedding again and see what happens.

Pretty much case closed for me for on this topic. :top:

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
Why is everyone getting butt hurt that i stated the truth? Lol. If you drive a car with performance brakes like a grandma, they are gonna make noise.

Even luxury toyotas....i.e....lexus fpsort, isf, ls-fsport and even the older gs350/is350 had brake noise. Its not a design defect, its a needed upgrade to handle an 300hp-400hp 4000lb+ sports sedan.

You cant have both. Quiet brakes, stick with oem non performance brakes. You actually want performance brakes, guess what? You are gonna get performance side effects....

Who pissed in your cereal bro? Some don't know that performance brakes will squeal not a big deal some need to be educated. In this case FireB just said they are squealing more than the norm, so instead of bashing the guy for reaching out why not help him? Maybe it's normal maybe not but coming out and saying he should take em off and sell em or to get use to it is a dick move and not what this forum is about.....

This is not typical for you bro..... You aiiiigght?

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Who pissed in your cereal bro? Some don't know that performance brakes will squeal not a big deal some need to be educated. In this case FireB just said they are squealing more than the norm, so instead of bashing the guy for reaching out why not help him? Maybe it's normal maybe not but coming out and saying he should take em off and sell em or to get use to it is a dick move and not what this forum is about.....

This is not typical for you bro..... You aiiiigght?

Nobody pissed in my cereal. im not bashing him, i said either get used to the squeal or go back to stock. Ive never been known for suger coating things. You may not notice it, but i am very blunt and to point where some of my post get deleted, like that/this one probably will. If I come off as an ass, well, that blows I guess.:rolleyez:

Tl; Dr
No insults to op meant. Be more agressive to the brakes, they will probably stop squealing once they get some heat in them. Another peice of advice is dont come to a complete stop when bedding them in, it can cause glazing/hotspots/warpage.

STONER-X

Reaction score
One thing I do on my brake jobs is.... I take high temp rtv and put it on the side of the pad that sits against the caliper... This can reduce brake drag by keeping the pad with the pistons and off the rotor while driving also it can help stabilize pad movement and reduce squeaks.. If you don't track your truck try switching to a comfort pad like mentioned.. I'm sure you will never tell the difference in DD situations

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Nobody pissed in my cereal. im not bashing him, i said either get used to the squeal or go back to stock. Ive never been known for suger coating things. You may not notice it, but i am very blunt and to point where some of my post get deleted, like that/this one probably will. If I come off as an ass, well, that blows I guess.:rolleyez:

Tl; Dr
No insults to op meant. Be more agressive to the brakes, they will probably stop squealing once they get some heat in them. Another peice of advice is dont come to a complete stop when bedding them in, it can cause glazing/hotspots/warpage.

Yup and Yup. Just finished bedding in 1GRracer's race pads. Number of hard 60 - 10 stops, easy drive back while letting the brakes cool off. He'll do some more tomorrow. Not one squeal.

autobodyX

Reaction score
I have this kit on mine. I have to clean the drilled holes out and sand or file the edge of the rotor where the brake pads ware into it. I think the sharp edge of the rotor and pad get together to make the squeal. I also like to lightly sand the pad surface to deglaze it and chamfer the edge a bit. My Charbotech competition pads are very noisy but my stop-tech pads are and should be quiet. After you service the brakes then go re-bed them in( the fun part of brake repair).

FireB

Reaction score

Tl; Dr

All good man, I know you helped me with other things so figured you just had a bad day or something.
No hard feelings man!

Thanks to others for your opinion on how to fix or reduce the issue.
It seems like there could be couple of problems that is associated with this so going to go 1 by 1 and see what happens. :top:

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
I have this kit on mine. I have to clean the drilled holes out and sand or file the edge of the rotor where the brake pads ware into it. I think the sharp edge of the rotor and pad get together to make the squeal. I also like to lightly sand the pad surface to deglaze it and chamfer the edge a bit. My Charbotech competition pads are very noisy but my stop-tech pads are and should be quiet. After you service the brakes then go re-bed them in( the fun part of brake repair).

Agressive rotor lip can cause a sequel too. He has 3000 miles, so I doubt thats the problem. Shit, ive heard gs350 with a bad rotor lip that actually squeak louder then my truck and My Rotora bbk has hawk dtc-30. They sound like a garbage truck when cold. Moment I do one stop from 60 or so, whisper quiet.

When you track it, do you switch the pads and rotors over?

autobodyX

Reaction score
Agressive rotor lip can cause a sequel too. He has 3000 miles, so I doubt thats the problem. Shit, ive heard gs350 with a bad rotor lip that actually squeak louder then my truck and My Rotora bbk has hawk dtc-30. They sound like a garbage truck when cold. Moment I do one stop from 60 or so, whisper quiet.

When you track it, do you switch the pads and rotors over?

Yes I have a dedicated set of track rotors, It is always a sad day when I switch them back to my street set up.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Yes I have a dedicated set of track rotors, It is always a sad day when I switch them back to my street set up.

Man, im way too lazy for that. :laugh:plus, i love the way my track pads stop, even on the street. They have a low cold threshold of only 100*s. So it only takes 1slow stop to get em warm and bite. :top:

Top Bottom