Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Strange MAF-CAL idea

SUODRAXAH

Reaction score
I was just wondering if this was possible. It seems like it should but I don't know how exactly how the hardware works so I would just like to know for sure.

When I first started tuning my psc1, as well as having the wide-band to tune with, I was using a car that was close to my truck (acceleration wise) to see how the changes were effecting my acceleration. It was an RSX-S. stock for stock, every time we would run he would pull a car on me by 120. So I tuned the afr to 12.5 and we ran again. We were dead even every time. Then after a week or so, I decided to go leaner. AFR to 13.0. Instead, this time I ran a new Si with intake, full exhaust, and a reflash. The Si pulls about 2 cars on the RSX. When I raced the Si it was totally dead even all the way. Now this was great. I left the afr at 13.0 for about 3 weeks and then because I was too lean, one of my cats went. So I went back to 12.5. Now my question is, can I tune to 13.0, and place a switch in the power line that goes to the PSC1. That way I can turn off the psc when I'm just driving around, but flip the switch when I want more power. This way, the AFR will only be at 13.0 when I decide I need a little more juice and therefore placing less stress on the motor compared to if I left it at 13.0 all the time.

CLIFF NOTES: I want to put a switch in the power line to the mafcal to turn it on and off when I want more power.

Gadget

Reaction score
If you cut the power to the MAF Calibrator it will not process the MAF sensor signal and pass it through the box to the ECU. That would not be a good idea.

In the dyno testing we have done, 13.0:1 does make more power then the 12.0:1 AFR that we recommend tuning to when normally aspirated. However; the difference in power is only a few HP and I do not feel it is worth the very high combustion temps that occur at the leaner mixture.

If you remove all the cats and then it may not be such a concern.

If you do want a switchable calibration device that will allow you to run one map for normal driving and then a more aggressive one for special occations by flipping a switch, we can set you up with that. That is a feature of the MAP-ECU2. If you want to go that route, let me know and I will get one right out to you.

Gadget

Top Bottom