Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

T56 shifter help/advice needed

sweetwilliebrownjr

Reaction score
I'm glad to hear it. Now if mine ever comes in, I can get this damn thing down the road without worrying about hitting first at 70.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like MGW may be the way to go

What do you have to do to get it to come through the console correctly?

I wanna get this swap done so bad now

So do I. It is like it is just out of reach right now. Sigh.

livinginsa

Reaction score
Sounds like MGW may be the way to go

What do you have to do to get it to come through the console correctly?

I wanna get this swap done so bad now

You are going to have to weld something on the stick to move the stick about 2" forward. Anyway, that is how the hurst shifter is on my T56.

Hit Coupe up. He can make something. I think Coupe is the stick shift guru.

sweetwilliebrownjr

Reaction score
I called MGW, and my shifter won't be ready for shipping until the end of next week. I guess my truck is cursed. Never had to wait so long on everything. I've got more time tied up in waiting then in owning the truck! Lol

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have also heard that the brands Pro 5.0 and B&M are excellent for the T-56 as well. This coming from an avid Camaro builder.

Any input on if there might be any mounting issues with those, on our application?

Gadget, how are you liking your MGW after this much time?

I called MGW, and my shifter won't be ready for shipping until the end of next week. I guess my truck is cursed. Never had to wait so long on everything. I've got more time tied up in waiting then in owning the truck! Lol

At least you didn't have to wait long for the oil cooler. ;)

Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
I saw it in my Paypal, and I keep my word. That is serious stuff to me man.

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
pro 5.0 was what I was looking at for my T56. Just never got around to ordering it.

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
order, test, swap with gadget, then do a comparative review!

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
That is a good idea. Do it. :D

So here is my next question. What are the threads size and pitch? I want to order my shift ball. ;)

Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
So does any body know???? I could always Google or call and ask, but what fun is that?

sweetwilliebrownjr

Reaction score
Just got my MGW in yesterday. Sooooo much better. If it were possible to retain the height of the MGW, it would be seriously awesome. I ground a flat sPot on the new shifter arm, drilled 2 holes and bolted the hurst shift arm to it. I then torched and bent it until it felt right. The throws are pretty close to the same as the aPr shifter, and it's much more precise. I'm gonna cut the arm down a bit so it'll be shorter, but other than that, it's great. Now, here a question: is the urd short shifter extension ball the same size as the ball on the t-56 shifter? (that's a question for you, G) if it is, could we possibly use that extension, and the base plate from the aPr shifter as a spacer to make the throws shorter? I wish I still had my old shifter so I could see. It would be nice if that would work.

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
That's some good news. can you take a pic when you get a chance so I can see how and what needed to be modded.

Gadget

Reaction score
If you got the shifter to come up through the console in the right place, please post some pictures of your installation. No sense in reinventing the wheel if you already have a good wheel.

G

sweetwilliebrownjr

Reaction score
I'll prolly take everything out and take pics when I cut the arm down maybe this weekend. Might have to text someone the pics and let them post em. I gots no internet access, just an iphone. And not to pester, but if you'd check on the shifter adapter from my last post, that'd be much appreciated. I want as sort of a throw as possible. Plus, I'd have to buy a short shifter kit from you :)

Gadget

Reaction score
Won't work. Different size.

G

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Way to ruin the party G. Sheeze.....

sweetwilliebrownjr

Reaction score
That sucks. I guess I can always cut and weld part of the apr shifter onto the MGW. Kind of a scary thought if anything goes wrong though. Might try that this weekend as well if I have time.

Coupe

Reaction score
Looking at the MGW shifter stalk, you should be able to recut the threads. You would have to put it on a lathe. I believe the MGW is 16mm (which is about 0.62") The APR shifter was 3/8-16UNC. So you have enough material on the MGW stalk to do this.

Top Bottom