Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tachometer question

Reaction score
So I am trying to install an autometer monster tach in my new xrunner and wanted to verify some install questions. I have yet to disassemble anything in the cab and have no idea where to start. Ive put in a tach before in a different truck but could use some pointers.

I have no clue where the ports are to connect the tach wire and could use some suggestions as far as the power and light wire. Anything would help!

Murderface

Reaction score
Is there something wrong with ur tach that u need to install that thing? If not what's the reason for the new one?

redarkx

Reaction score
Murderface said:
Is there something wrong with ur tach that u need to install that thing? If not what's the reason for the new one?

This is a good question.

Reaction score
Guy that sold the truck broke the tach (some how) and instead of fix that I would rather install the monster and mess with the cluster later

I<3JDM

Reaction score
Tachometer Signal Wire Installation
for 4.0 engine(s)
Black wire with a white stripe at pin #1 of connector "D" of the PCM (engine computer), or the same black wire with a white stripe at pin #9 of the data link connector on the under side of the dash.

Hope this helps man.

Reaction score
Yeah that will come in handy, thanks man. Any suggestions for the power and light wires?

X-Caliber

Reaction score
As with any electronics going on your beloved truck, make sure your power line is on an igition switched source. As far as the backlight on it.. I would wire it up to the parking lights maybe? Or find a signal and run a relay off it.

Edit: Before I'd put a second tachometer (some say it would be pretty ricey to do..) I would check around some local yards for a 05+ gauge cluster to swap them for. Your mileage will end up being different.

I<3JDM

Reaction score
Yeah that will come in handy, thanks man. Any suggestions for the power and light wires?

well what I did was just cut the ends of the red wire(+12v) and cut the ends of the white wire (light source) and pulled out the fuses under the dash and plugged them there. So I hooked up the red wire to the ign fuse and the white wire to the headlamp fuse. Does this make sense? I also put a extra fuse to run on the red tach line just in case. hope this helps again :smile:

Reaction score
That helps a lot. I just got to take apart the dash so I should be able to find the right connectors. Thanks a bunch. I love XRU.

Top Bottom