Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

towing questions

Reaction score
So I am prepping (pretty early) to move out to Cali. We are thinking about towing the wife's Subie behind the X and putting the bike in the bed. The tow hitch I am looking at bings the towing capacity up to 5000 lbs and the subie weights in at 3050 lbs (according to AOL motor), so the weight should be an inseue on that side. If I bought a tow hitch, would the X be powerful enough to tow all this across the country?

STONER-X

Reaction score
Think they are rated to tow 3500... I'm sure if you have some mods you will be fine

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
Technically,

Payload is 850 lbs. (including you, your wife, bike, tongue load, and other items packed in the truck).

Towing capacity is 3500 lbs.

Others on here have towed more with no problems, but technically... :rolleyez:

Per "06 specs:

Curb weight (lb.): 3725
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) (lb.): 4600
Payload [6] (lb.): 875
Tongue load (lb., standard/maximum): 350
Standard towing capacity (lb.) [7]: 3500
Maximum towing capacity (lb.) [7] [8]: 3500
Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) (lb.) - (with Towing Package): NA

[6] Payload is the GVWR minus curb weight and includes weight of occupants, optional equipment and cargo, limited by weight distribution. Payload is not the Vehicle
Capacity Weight as defined by FMVSS 110, which will vary according to installed optional equipment.

[7] Before towing, confirm your vehicle and trailer are compatible, hooked up properly and you have any necessary additional equipment. Do not exceed any Weight Ratings
and follow all instructions and cautions from your trailer hitch manufacturer and Toyota vehicle Owner's Manual. The maximum amount you can tow depends on the total
weight of any cargo, occupants and optional equipment.

[8] Maximum towing capacity and tongue capacity require V6 engine with available Towing Package. See Owner's Manual for details.

widdoz runner

Reaction score
Ive towed a mustang 2001 on a dolly and a 500 lb bike and a few hundred lbs of gear no proab. Just had the dolly pushing me around a lil bit and a bit more on the and im n/a

Reaction score
Stock towing is 3500, but the hitch I am looking at says 5000. So the chassis and only do 3500? 850 payload will be fine since the bike is only at 410. Most of the extra stuff will go in the subie anyway.

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
It doesn't matter if the hitch says 10,000lbs my man the truck is only recommended for 3500lbs. The hitch is probably good for all tacoma's ie 4x4's with a tow package....

I wouldn't plan on getting there quick but if you took your time should be ok... If your planning a big move like that me personally I would rent a uhaul and tow the car behind that and drive the X with the bike..

Reaction score
It doesn't matter if the hitch says 10,000lbs my man the truck is only recommended for 3500lbs. The hitch is probably good for all tacoma's ie 4x4's with a tow package....

I wouldn't plan on getting there quick but if you took your time should be ok... If your planning a big move like that me personally I would rent a uhaul and tow the car behind that and drive the X with the bike..

It will just be small stuff in the subie (cloths and ramdon cleaning stuff). Everything else will be going with the movers. So I see it only adding maybe 200 lbs at most.

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
Hopefully gadget chimes in as well, I seem to recall him saying when he moved URD from Cali to MD in the XR it was not enjoyable. While I think the X could do it I think it would be sketchy cross country

Reaction score
Well I looked up on Uhaul site and it says that both trailors they rent will not be capable of towing her car. Thank you for your help guys.

lamia2super

Reaction score
how about installing a helper air lift system? ive been wondering if i could tow a car trailer with a BMW on it

triumphx

Reaction score
It wont be fun but its do able, i pulled a mini excavator that weighed 3700 lb on a 900 lb trailer with the x. It wasnt fun but it did the trick

lamia2super

Reaction score
It wont be fun but its do able, i pulled a mini excavator that weighed 3700 lb on a 900 lb trailer with the x. It wasnt fun but it did the trick

what went wrong? car was slammed in the back huh

Reaction score
So I am thinking that the wife might just have to drive and I will get a trailor for the bike and put all the loss stuff in the bed of the X. She can just have a car full of dogs to worry about.

Fiddich

Reaction score
ship the car. out of Florida to Los Angeles you should be fine on prices. You going to spend 4 to 500 on gas pay 1000 and get it shipped.

Reaction score
To ship I would have to drive to Orlando, which is two hours away.:thumbdown: That isn't exactly easier.

hrspwr236

Reaction score
They will come to your house for shipment and delivery no matter what city!

widdoz runner

Reaction score
The proablem is our trucks are too light they get pushed by what we tow sorry was at work earlier

triumphx

Reaction score
what went wrong? car was slammed in the back huh

That it was, it was before i had my Rotora BBK and stopping wasn't necessarily fun. Like i said its do able but your not going to want to do it across the country. Sleepy driving and full load on the truck would be asking for bad news

Top Bottom