Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TR BBK VS. Other BBK's

X-FREAK

Reaction score
I've been thinking.... I got the Tundra Racing SSBC BBK. I'm impressed over the stock brake setup but now that I'm considering towing more I'm not sure how good my brakes are compared to say the TRD, Rotora, Stoptech kits. Does Anyone know how the 2 piston Tundra racing kit compares to the other more expensive 4/6 piston kits? I originally chose the TR kit because it uses IS350 rotors and GM pads that are all fairly cheap stuff to replace when needed. But was looking for opinions of stopping power. Has anyone hauled with the TR kit? If so how much did you haul and how well did it stop? I may be moving to FL later in the year and would be hauling a trailer up to 4000-5000 lbs fully loaded with all my stuff. I have a airlift suspension and Im S/C with plenty of power to pull its stopping thats my question...

zXrunner

Reaction score
Im planning to get that TR BBK. I'm wondering the difference in stopping power compare to the TRD, Rotora, and Stoptech as well…

RRX

Reaction score
I was looking at these as well. I am sure that the TR brakes are not as good as the 4/6 pistons in the other brands. I would assume the that are close to the 2 piston design that the 4X4 trucks use stock but with a bigger rotor.

autobodyX

Reaction score
I've been thinking.... I got the Tundra Racing SSBC BBK. I'm impressed over the stock brake setup but now that I'm considering towing more I'm not sure how good my brakes are compared to say the TRD, Rotora, Stoptech kits. Does Anyone know how the 2 piston Tundra racing kit compares to the other more expensive 4/6 piston kits? I originally chose the TR kit because it uses IS350 rotors and GM pads that are all fairly cheap stuff to replace when needed. But was looking for opinions of stopping power. Has anyone hauled with the TR kit? If so how much did you haul and how well did it stop? I may be moving to FL later in the year and would be hauling a trailer up to 4000-5000 lbs fully loaded with all my stuff. I have a airlift suspension and Im S/C with plenty of power to pull its stopping thats my question...

I would change to a more and or very agressive pad,
you will pay for it with OMG brake dust but that is the cost for great stopping power. I have a set of Carboteck hp-10 pads that I install for track days and the difference is amazing over my daily driving pads. After I do an event I drive on them for a while and it is a sad day when I switch back normal brakes. I do this because the pads are 200.00 and they dust and squeal, but man they performe. Carbo tech and Hawk both offer a selection of pads and one will suit you need.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
I was looking at these as well. I am sure that the TR brakes are not as good as the 4/6 pistons in the other brands. I would assume the that are close to the 2 piston design that the 4X4 trucks use stock but with a bigger rotor.

4x4 and PreRunner both come stock with 4 piston calipers.

Like autobodyx described, try the brake pads first. It is cheaper than a new kit, and you already have better front brakes than stock. If they still don't stop like you want, then upgrade.

Last edited:

hrspwr236

Reaction score
I do really miss my TRD BBK, it would almost break your neck if you need to stop real quick, I will honestly say from high speeds, it word hurt. I would highly recommend that or the stop tech basically the same but looks like you already spent a nice chunk a change, it would definitely try the pad upgrade first. The ceramic pads I had was great but within a few days my wheels looked like Crap from all the brake dust and was not so fun to clean but it's the price to pay for working brakes!

Top Bottom