Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Trans/shifter issue into 1st gear

Murderface

Reaction score
Who has issues getting the shifter into 1st gear? Not sure how long I've been having this issue but I figured out how to shift into 1st gear easily years ago. Below I'd a video of what I do to get it into 1st gear with no problems every time.
U know how u have to shove it over to get into reverse? Well for me to get into 1st I have to shove it over a little like going into reverse so that it will go into 1st. In the vid I show how I go into 1st and what happens when I shift into 1st without my special technique.

has anyone figured this out?
http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/...-85B5-F40C40877A7D-19882-00000F5119E9F569.mp4

Coupe

Reaction score
Have you had the shifter out lately?

I would be curious is the tip bushing was worn.

eXtenzeHi

Reaction score
I've had this problem but its really a sometime thing. It wont let me go to 1st so I just put it in 2nd and allows ne afterwards.

Murderface

Reaction score
Have you had the shifter out lately?

I would be curious is the tip bushing was worn.

There's nothing wrong with the shifter bushing. In fact it's done this since I installed the URD short shifter and still did it after I installed ur shifter with the new bushing

I've had this problem but its really a sometime thing. It wont let me go to 1st so I just put it in 2nd and allows ne afterwards.

I used to put it into 2nd and then 1st just like u do until I figured this new way out

Last edited:

TommyXrunner

Reaction score
ya every once and a while it just won't go in and i just double pump the clutch. seems to work everytime for me. although since i put amsoil tranny fluid in it hasn't happened once

Murderface

Reaction score
A different type of oil in the trans won't effect the shifter having issues goin into 1st at all.

TommyXrunner

Reaction score
A different type of oil in the trans won't effect the shifter having issues goin into 1st at all.

haha well than i've just had good luck recently :laugh: but before i switched oils it happened a few times. sometimes when i stopped at a long light i'd throw it in neutral and when i went to put the truck back into first it just wouldn't go. so i tried re-pumping the clutch in and it just slid right into first with ease

justin13703

Reaction score
Mine gives me problems going into first sometimes. It's like it just doesn't wanna go. Then I end up getting pissed cause I'm sitting there at an intersection with cars around me and can't move, and I just slam that piece of shit up into first with everything I got :crinklehair: lol and it usually goes in finally. These transmissions really are junk, it's like they were built by a bunch of third graders.

Clifford

because race truck
Reaction score
I've always gone to second before first in every vehicle I've owned. Never had any issues.

Clifford

because race truck
Reaction score
I'm actually curious to see if mine has that issue. I'll post up Thursday/Friday when I get home. I don't even think about it when I go to first lol, always automaticly pop it into second and then first every single time.

Workman3886

Reaction score
Mine was like that when I had the ss kit on, but I removed that and just have the 8 1/2 solid shifter now, smooth as butter. Once in a blue moon I'll have to slightly let off the clutch to get it into first gear but that's literally like once a month lol

rexrunner

Reaction score
Make sure the clutch line has no air or that it's not old. Brake fluid absorbs moisture so after a few years the moisture will cause the fluid to bubble/steam/expand

I also had great experience with the Pennzoil yellow bottle tranny fluid. I didn't have luck with mt90

SpeedX

Reaction score
I was having these issues last week as a result of me not adjusting the clutch pedal shaft after the clutch and flywheel installation.

Gadget shime in and advice me to adjust the clutch shaft pedal in order for the clutch to release around 1/3 coming up.

Two things happened:
1. Transmission goes into first and second gear without any issues
2. Eliminated the majority of the freeplay

As of now, my clutch release point is about 2.5" off the carpet, and I left the free play at 1/4".

Murderface

Reaction score
In my video I posted the truck wasn't running nor was I using the clutch to shift to 1st gear. It's got nothing to do with my clutch

Top Bottom