Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TRD S/C intercooler tank upgrade

bada$$03taco

Reaction score
just built a new tank that has a larger displacement and holds more water capacity.

built the tank to fit in the opening where the stock tank goes. in order to hang it, i took 1" solid rod, tapped it, and welded the slugs inside the tank in the stock mounting locations.

2011-11-26160045.jpg

2011-11-26160146.jpg

built a threaded bung for the original cap to mount on.

2011-11-26160122.jpg

2011-11-26160113.jpg

i then started closing it all up

DSC02829.jpg

DSC02830.jpg

DSC02831.jpg

you can see the original tank size, and see it in comparison to the new tank also see the threaded slugs and see how they look

DSC02828.jpg

DSC02827.jpg

time to build hose barbs for the coolant lines, i built the hose barbs and filler neck on my lathe.

DSC02832.jpg

and welded them on

DSC02833.jpg

DSC02834.jpg

DSC02835.jpg

DSC02836.jpg

DSC02838.jpg

bada$$03taco

Reaction score
and then welded the top on

DSC02841.jpg

DSC02842.jpg

DSC02843.jpg

DSC02844.jpg

DSC02845.jpg

DSC02837.jpg

and installed

DSC02846.jpg

DSC02849.jpg

DSC02850.jpg

DSC02851.jpg

DSC02852.jpg

the new tank holds 85 MORE ounces than the stock tank. so over a half gallon MORE capacity over the stock tank. this tank holds a little less than a gallon.

bada$$03taco

Reaction score
i could easily build the tank taller to hold more capacity but my wiring for my amplifier was in the way and i did not feel like re-doing anything.

anybody want one of these? had fun making it kinda interested in making them.

holds over a half gallon more capacity. i figure having more capacity helps from heat soaking the intercooler. i dont run my truck hard anymore really so i wont benefit from it. but somebody else might.

Murderface

Reaction score
Need to load the bitch up with ice water and see if it helps really cool down that air going thru the IC

Clifford

because race truck
Reaction score
depending on price I wouldn't mind one.

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
anybody want one of these? had fun making it kinda interested in making them.

Should you decide to make these available for sale you will need to either become a vendor or advertiser here on XRU. Per site rules:

Section I: Who Can Sell on XRU:

(1) This is for personal trading/selling only. NO businesses or bulk sales (more than 2 of the same product).

(2) If you are either a business, a member selling multiple new items, or organizing a group buy, please contact "2006nightrider" or "Spyder327" for authorization. This also includes "Feeler/Interest" threads!! These threads are when any member is trying to gauge interest in a product they or someone they know want to sell. If you do not have prior authorization from 2006nightrider or Spyder327, these types of threads WILL be deleted, as they are unfair to our paying vendors here on XRU. Separate sections are used for these types of sales, however you must obtain vendor status first. Please see the vendor section rules if this applies to you. Click here to review the Vendor Advertising Packages

(3) Sellers MUST have a minimum of 30 posts on XRU. This is to protect our members. In the past we have had members lose thousands of dollars due to fraudulent sales by brand new members (zero posts). This requirement is also to encourage sellers to become a part of our community by joining in our discussions. We are a unique and friendly community of owners, always looking to bring in new enthusiasts.

Hope you decide to move forward. I'm sure there are plenty of members that would love to have one. Great job. Please post some results. :top:

5000XD

Reaction score
Pretty nice.

What is that little stainless steel bottle next to the brakefluid reservoir with a line coming out off the s/c? is that your oil catch can?

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Dependant on the price, i bet you could have quite a few buyers line up. If you decide to become a vendor. :)

Easy, simpler, and very functional. Good work man. :top:

JiNsEiGaNaI

Reaction score
looks heavy! but nice! alot of time! cool! would like to see a black plastic version of this, as the metal might b warm in the engine bay

bada$$03taco

Reaction score
the tank is a pound if even that, literally light as a feather. the OEM bracket is plenty strong enough unless you plan on baja off-road racing and jumping 3ft whoops with your baja truck. wait... wha.... yeah we drive these trucks on-road. yep bracket is plenty strong enough to hold a half pound tank, and 8lbs worth of liquid.

the tank under the S/C is a catch can i built a year ago. bolts up to the bracket holding the S/C up using the stock 2 bolts.

DSC00995.jpg

DSC01006.jpg

DSC01008.jpg

DSC01009.jpg

DSC01004.jpg

DSC01011.jpg

Last edited:

bada$$03taco

Reaction score
i have a tube coming out of the bottom of the catch can that runs down the side of the motor down by the oil pan. its just a piece of 1/4 ID fuel line with a small valve on the end secured close to the skid plate, i just tell the guys at the toyota place to flip the valve when changing my oil and drain the can. they drain the can every time my oil gets changed. no sweat for me i just tell them to do it when they change my oil.

Top Bottom