Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TRD S/C questions

picaCulo

Reaction score
so I'm planning on supercharging my x in the very near future and I hope you guys can help me out with some questions I have . My truck is an '06 model and I want to know can I run the TRD s/c without the dealership doing the reflash on the computer? I was also told that I could not use the TRD intake with the s/c does that only apply to the TRD intake or all intakes ?

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Your going to need a separate way of tuning for the larger injectors, and a way to pull some timing while in boost, to save your motor from catastrophic failure. Map3 ecu and ucon ems. Or if you can find one, a x-1.

All intakes are compatible with the trd s/c.

Why do you want to avoid the reflash, out of curiousity?

picaCulo

Reaction score
thanks I was just asking because I read another thread awhile back that said to try and steer clear of the dealer reflash because you could not go back to stock later ,but I think they also said that to do this if you already had an X-1 which I dont , another thing I wanted to know is how do I know if my computer can be reflashed ?

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Yes. It can. Once you go trd reflash, you have to keep the trd injectors. You can still sell the blower. Your going to have to get the gas pedal recall reflash done, I'd you haven't allready. Just opt out of the pedal and floor mat modification.

babyboi2284

BaggedXR2284
Reaction score
There is an x1 still for sale without a t-stat in the for sale section.

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
Your going to need a separate way of tuning for the larger injectors, and a way to pull some timing while in boost, to save your motor from catastrophic failure. Map3 ecu and ucon ems. Or if you can find one, a x-1.

All intakes are compatible with the trd s/c.

Why do you want to avoid the reflash, out of curiousity?

I don't believe the map-ecu3 alone can handle the SC. 100% certain that the map-ecu3 won't work with a reflashed ecu as aspens/c had this issue.

I would just wait it out for Gadgets new UCON to come out if you want to avoidthe flash alltogether.

Once you reflash the computer it can't be undone but you can still pull the charger just have to leave the 425cc trd injectors in there, several members have done this.

As for the CAI NO not all intakes work with the SC! The only one that I am aware of is the first gen trd cai or the afe stage2(which are the same thing). The dealer will tell you that the trd intake won't work with the charger because the new version that is CARB legal causes lean issues. As well I am not aware of anyone that has run the urd intake with a trd s/c as I believe it throws off the MAF readings.

Your mod list says you have an afe stage 2 so if that is the case your fine.

I plan on getting the reflash done when I install my sc with future plans to include a UCON

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
Your going to have to get the gas pedal recall reflash done

This is not the case. I know members have had the TRD SC flash done W/O the gas pedal recall. Talk to the dealer beforehand if you do get the reflash to make sure they get you the correct file.

Jaegermeister

The "Tony Hawk" Guy
Reaction score
I have a supercharger and x1 for sale. If you buy both I will give you a deal! Its in the for sale section.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
This is not the case. I know members have had the TRD SC flash done W/O the gas pedal recall. Talk to the dealer beforehand if you do get the reflash to make sure they get you the correct file.

Every master tech I talked to, told me you cant request the trd recall file, with out the ecu being reflashed for the gas pedal recall. It wont let you update it. Hard to explain, you have to see the tis/techstream software, to understand what I mean by "wont let you". Here's the easiest way of putting it. Let call the reflash file, vs. 1.5, and the trd reflash file, version 1.5.1....

You can't jump from version 1.0(unflashed), to trd 1.5.1, with out 1.5(recall reflash). The computer(techstream), wont let you. Now, there was a "butter" zone, where for a few months, before the updated trd reflash came out, where, if you haven't had the gas pedal recall done, You could still request the trd reflash, but the old version that doesn't support the 90l recall. (Gas pedal refalsh)

You might recall, in late 2010, some members complaining about not being able to get the trd reflash w/ the gas pedal recall. this was caused by the issues with the calibration file on trd reflash, being "older", then the 90l recall. Its kinda like trying to update your computer, from version 2.0, to version 1.9.

Unless some techs have the old (pre 90l recall) calibration files, saves on a separate hardrive or something, there is no way on 05-08, to skip the 90l recall, and get trd reflash, that I am aware of. If any techs on here, know of a loop hole, please, post it so other members know how to avoid it!!!!:rockon:

Here's the catch...on 09-12, you can request the trd file, w/o the gas pedal reflash recall...the ecus are different on the 09+...this is just what I was told, I have not confirmed it.

absolut

Reaction score
This trd s/c stuff is getting way to problemmatic. :thumbdown:

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
This trd s/c stuff is getting way to problemmatic. :thumbdown:

It's not too bad once you get it all straight, however it really does make one apprechiate all the work that Gadget has to put into his kits:top:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
What toyota needs to do is not make a vehicle. Then they wont have to worry about people trying to drive them.......

Sproulesxrunner

Reaction score
As for the TRD intake not working, I believe the OP is asking about the 2nd gen TRD intake. I read a couple of threads where the new intake was causing the AFR's to go screwed up on a S/C.

Get a 1st gen TRD intake if you really want a TRD one.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
2nd gen will work as well. Just not nearly as efficiently. Toon had it on his s/c setup for a short while. After a quick consultation with Grumpy and I, he quickly upgraded to the AFe brand (1st gen)

1GRracer

"Pete"
Reaction score
By the filter (really the whole intake) but the AFE and the first gen TRD use a conical filter and the 2nd gen uses a panel filter.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
As well as the intake tube that runs from the filter to the throttle body is much straighter on the 1st gens as well. There is also a GM style filter cleanliness mechanical reader on the 2nd gen. I think that is what it was. I could be wrong about it specifically.

livinginsa

Reaction score
I am using the TRD, 2nd generation intake, and I don't have any problems with it. The thing is so big, I can barely close the hood; if it was half an inch taller, I wouldn't be able to close my hood. We had to change some readings on the X-1 because of the amount of air coming in but it works great for me.

Top Bottom