Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TRD SC Installation @ Dealership

kenneth206

Reaction score
Hello XRU.

Sorry if this is the wrong place for my question.

Due to warranty (I have the extended 7 yr/125k)stuff I'm planning on having my dealership install the TRD SC on my 2011 X.

I figured there would be a set rate and what not for the install but the guy said the only other one he has installed took 11 hours and they will bill me for those exact hours. Basically with parts and labor it comes to about $5200. Does this sound right? I'm more than willing to pay for it but it seems kind of high.

What are other's experience was at the stealerships.

Cheers!
Kenneth

P.S. Does anyone know of a reputable tuning shop in or around Seattle with URD experience? If I decide to void my warranty... :)

Slay0r

Reaction score
need a break down to better help.

the have a site that sells:

TRD s/c $3300
fit kit $300
labor should be $6-700

so after taxes you shouldnt pay too much more than $4500

kenneth206

Reaction score
Roger, I forgot the quote at home. I'll post that info later...

Thanks.

babyboi2284

BaggedXR2284
Reaction score
Slay0r said:
need a break down to better help.

the have a site that sells:

TRD s/c $3300
fit kit $300
labor should be $6-700

so after taxes you shouldnt pay too much more than $4500

^^^what he said and there is a place by me that was gonna charge $375 for labor. Do some research and you will see that Toyota can't charge anymore than 6 hours for labor even it takes a week for install.

And if he only installed one so far then I will check at other dealerships for a tech that has more experience to save you the headache later on.

Go to toyotasparks.com and order from them or print out the prices and see if you can get your dealer to price match.

kenneth206

Reaction score
I think the SC price was about right but the labor is where I'm getting raped... The guy has done the installation before on all the other various models (and it wasn't 11 hours) but he has only done one 2011. Well that was the excuse anyways. I'll call other dealerships in the area.

That's interesting about a 6 hour cap on labor, I'll check it out. Thanks again.

Murderface

Reaction score
Def don't let that tech install it, before u know it something will happen to ur engine from the install and they will try to blame u. We had a guy who had his installed by a stealership and they never filled the intercooler with antifreeze:thumpdown: Just goes to show what crap can happen. I said phuck the warranty and installed it myself, I was already at 52K so it didn't matter much plus u will now the system like the back of ur hand.

X-Run-X-er

Reaction score
^^^what he said and there is a place by me that was gonna charge $375 for labor. Do some research and you will see that Toyota can't charge anymore than 6 hours for labor even it takes a week for install.

And if he only installed one so far then I will check at other dealerships for a tech that has more experience to save you the headache later on.

Go to toyotasparks.com and order from them or print out the prices and see if you can get your dealer to price match.

Is there a link you can post or send me stating this quote, or researched phrase ... "Toyota can't charge anymore than 6 hours for labor even it takes a week for install," They quoted me 10 hours and I argued with the guy for hours, that this is what is stated in the official paperwork from toyota

burnboy

Reaction score
They can charge u what ever they want. You can take it or leave it. There is no law, its a good faith thing but not law. We techs work for commission only. The more hours labor we sell the better our paycheck. Period. Don't like the quote? Go somewhere else. There is a "book" time for the job I'm sure. But, no law stating they have to charge the same as anyone else. Good luck

kenneth206

Reaction score
Well I got some quotes from three dealerships in the area and they're all about the same. I couldn't find anything on the internets about a 6 hour cap on labor and each service department told me they've never heard of it (obviously). Here are the numbers. Can anyone chime in on how much they paid for the complete install? Thanks for the replies so far - this thread may just put me to 10 posts sooner than I thought :)

[Toyota of Seattle]
SC: 4140
Fit Kit: 360
Labor: 14 hours @ 107/hr = 1498

[Magic Toyota(where I bought my X)]
SC: 3800
Fit Kit: 315
Labor: 11 hours @ 105/hr = 1155

[Toyota of Lakecity]
SC: 4140
Fit Kit: 360
Labor: 15 hours @ 103/hr = 1545

Cheers,
Kenneth

Last edited:

babyboi2284

BaggedXR2284
Reaction score
I read it on here plus two dealers told me they can't charge more than 6 hours labor.

I'll try to find it for you.

fmap4life

Reaction score
You should grab a buddy and tackle it yourself IMHO, It makes it that much more worth it when Its done. than give your bud 100 bux and a case of beer after! GL Bud

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
You should grab a buddy and tackle it yourself IMHO, It makes it that much more worth it when Its done. than give your bud 100 bux and a case of beer after! GL Bud

The install is not hard but I think what he is after is keeping the factory warranty by having the dealer do it especially since he paid for the extended warranty

Murderface

Reaction score
That really blows they want to rape u on the install price. Me and my buddy did mine in under 10hrs. He was there for an extra set of hands and I did most of the work.

Hope u find one that will honor the 6hr install time:top:

kenneth206

Reaction score
Keeping the warranty is key as I bought the extended one and this is my only car/daily driver. Otherwise I'd go for URD parts and do a lot more than the dealer offers. Thanks for all the replies and I'll let you all know if I have any problems after the install at the dealer. And maybe some pics.

The install is not hard but I think what he is after is keeping the factory warranty by having the dealer do it especially since he paid for the extended warranty

burnboy

Reaction score
Their rate is probably $100 an hour ours at audi is $130 an hour. Be glad its a low line vehicle and not hi line. You could contact trd and see if they have a recomended labor time. Might help your battle. If trd says 8 then get with the service manager and see what he says. Don't listen to me nesecarilly but you could just throw it at em and say "I bought my truck here so id like to stay loyal but ill gladly take the fisting and spend a few hundred more at the other dealer due to principle". Id only do that if trd dictates a lesser labor time like 8 hours. Like apr, audi performance racing, dictates 10 hours for a stage 3+ turbo upgrade for a vw gti. I've never heard of anyone charging more than that as the rate is public info and easily disputed. And I promise that job is way more dificult than a trd blower on our truck, lol. Good luck

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
Keeping the warranty is key as I bought the extended one and this is my only car/daily driver. Otherwise I'd go for URD parts and do a lot more than the dealer offers. Thanks for all the replies and I'll let you all know if I have any problems after the install at the dealer. And maybe some pics.

I wouldn't worry too much about the warranty. They are charging way too much for labor for that install. I say do it yourself and save the coin. Just do it right and you shouldn't have any issues to worry about.
If you do have issues take the blower back off before you take it to the dealership.

fmap4life

Reaction score
So the s/c would also be good to 125k miles under the warranty or would it be 12k?

rich017

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much about the warranty. They are charging way too much for labor for that install. I say do it yourself and save the coin. Just do it right and you shouldn't have any issues to worry about.
If you do have issues take the blower back off before you take it to the dealership.

It all depends on what the book says as far as flat rate hrs. Ask them where they are getting their hrs from.

They are there to make money just like everyone else in the service industry.

Top Bottom