Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

UCON for 09+

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
3D print that shit! ABS plastic and done.

woodex m.e.

Reaction score
3D print that shit! ABS plastic and done.

thats what i was thinking. My understanding here is that we do not have access to the plastic male connectors that plug into the 09+ ecu correct? There is literally no reason why i cant just measure up a female plug and design the male interface for it. When im not in the office at work I spend a decent amount of time running QC in the shop for all our parts. I use a FARO arm which is accurate to i think +\- 0.0001" depending on ambient temperatures. Thats way more than accurate enough to measure the plastic female component, design a male component that matches the associated standards and tolerancing, then draw the 3d model in ProE/Creo. From there i could just have one of my friends print it from his printer. I mean yeah i dont know where all the wires connect to and what pins controll what but i shouldnt need to. We just need a male plug/plugs with wires coming out of it. Please Tor stop me if im crazy but,......i think im going crazy. Also anyone chime in cause im not seeing a problem here. Obviously it would be impressive to get it right in one shot but even if it take a little bit of time i just seems simple.

woodex m.e.

Reaction score
These plugs are being made already by other manufacturers. I dont know what the details are but it seems to me that you can purchase a harness elsewhere and mod it up to work with another ECU.
The problem there is getting the ecu manufacturer to do this with another manufacturers harness.
That would seem easier to me than splicing it in.

As for a 3d printer, I think without a file with exact dimensions for each of those wires and connecters it would be near impossible to do. There are many wires in each of those connections.
It seems to me if others have the connectors being made then Toyota has released the information to do so.... I too could be way off course and this is just my opinion...

Thats what i am saying. No one else has access to these supposed files. Those that do will not let them go, which makes financial sense. I could get those exact dimensions. Someone else did it, why cant we. It is literally just reverse engineering....thats the easiest kind! Its easy with the right tools :top: If it truely is just plugs that are holding this back, we can do it.

Toyota Tech

Reaction score
Oh god... Please tell me this isn't all due to the male side, you can buy them at the parts department at Toyota. I can get you part numbers if needed or buy them and ship them. Most dealers will tell you it's not possible and you have to buy the whole harness, but the truth is you can order individual pigtails they are just a pain in the @$$ and then some, some lie and say they can't do it or have not been trained because it's hard and time consuming. I however cannot get you the female side as that is part of the ECU, that's what I hope we're waiting for? If not gadget pm me I'll have you pigtails in weeks at most unless they are back ordered.

Pigtails are available for a few simple reasons: something happens to the harness under warranty, you think they are going to pay me 20 hours to pull your dashboard out and replace the harness? HAH! Here's a pigtail, fix the harness and solder in pigtail at worst. Or - Master splinter (what we call rats where I work) comes and eats the harness there, again remove the dash? No. Replace pigtail if possible and fix the harness. Solder all connections and shrink wrap. Some dealers again will say this isn't possible because they don't know how or because they want to sell an entire harness and labor for it. But this simply isn't true, pigtails can be ordered, the female side however is only available from Toyota as part of the factory ECU which I haven't priced but I would assume is 800$-2k$

woodex m.e.

Reaction score
Oh god... Please tell me this isn't all due to the male side, you can buy them at the parts department at Toyota. I can get you part numbers if needed or buy them and ship them. Most dealers will tell you it's not possible and you have to buy the whole harness, but the truth is you can order individual pigtails they are just a pain in the @$$ and then some, some lie and say they can't do it or have not been trained because it's hard and time consuming. I however cannot get you the female side as that is part of the ECU, that's what I hope we're waiting for? If not gadget pm me I'll have you pigtails in weeks at most unless they are back ordered.

Pigtails are available for a few simple reasons: something happens to the harness under warranty, you think they are going to pay me 20 hours to pull your dashboard out and replace the harness? HAH! Here's a pigtail, fix the harness and solder in pigtail at worst. Or - Master splinter (what we call rats where I work) comes and eats the harness there, again remove the dash? No. Replace pigtail if possible and fix the harness. Solder all connections and shrink wrap. Some dealers again will say this isn't possible because they don't know how or because they want to sell an entire harness and labor for it. But this simply isn't true, pigtails can be ordered, the female side however is only available from Toyota as part of the factory ECU which I haven't priced but I would assume is 800$-2k$

Maybe someone else who knows better can chime in. This is what i understood as being the problem.

autobodyX

Reaction score
The problem is toyota will not sell the volume of connectors needed. They will sell one here or there ordered by the vin number for a needed repair, but not in the sufficient quantity needed.

Toyota Tech

Reaction score
I completely agree. I cannot order 100 of them. But I could definitely get 1 or 2 sets, if that's all that is needed then gadget could get one or two trucks on the road with the UCON EMS. Furthermore if that's all were waiting for we can get away with ordering 100 of them a lot easier if its from 50-100 different dealerships, so again if this is the issue, the kit could be sold minus those connectors and you need to go source them at your local dealer using the part numbers I can provide and simply crimp or solder red wire to green wire. ETC.

Its a Step in the right direction - at the very least I could get my truck on Ucon if this is the issue. (I really don't want to solder it in, although I am getting closer everyday.). I would have already built my own harness if I could find the female side of the connector not installed on an ECU which people want an arm and a leg for. I could hack up my unichip @ this point...

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
thats what i was thinking. My understanding here is that we do not have access to the plastic male connectors that plug into the 09+ ecu correct? There is literally no reason why i cant just measure up a female plug and design the male interface for it. When im not in the office at work I spend a decent amount of time running QC in the shop for all our parts. I use a FARO arm which is accurate to i think +\- 0.0001" depending on ambient temperatures. Thats way more than accurate enough to measure the plastic female component, design a male component that matches the associated standards and tolerancing, then draw the 3d model in ProE/Creo. From there i could just have one of my friends print it from his printer. I mean yeah i dont know where all the wires connect to and what pins controll what but i shouldnt need to. We just need a male plug/plugs with wires coming out of it. Please Tor stop me if im crazy but,......i think im going crazy. Also anyone chime in cause im not seeing a problem here. Obviously it would be impressive to get it right in one shot but even if it take a little bit of time i just seems simple.

I say do it.

autobodyX

Reaction score
In the vender world it is all about the numbers and one or two does not work, and let's say 300 units with five male connectors an one female makes 1800 parts needed. A tall order to fill.

woodex m.e.

Reaction score
Better be a fast printer. ;)

Hahaha the printer would only handle prototypes, if we wanted a production run we would need a mold made.

I am under the impression that Gadget is only waiting for 1 connector? Out of the possible 6 each truck has? Would be a lot easier to just chase that one down.

Toyota Tech

Reaction score
I understand the numbers, here's another point of view:
I get one set of connectors, get my 2012 running on ucon using them, and everything works. Now we know the air injection is not an issue and it opens the market up from 09-11 to 09-15. Lots more people to drive the demand. More demand 99.999999% of the time means more... Wait for it waitttttt -----production!!! Now we have made a full loop. Most everything starts off as only a few as tests or concept vehicles for example. Concept does well and people like it, then there's a large demand to make them.

Gadget

Reaction score
It is looking better than ever now!!

G

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
What exactly does this mean? A few weeks, months, or longer?

Top Bottom