Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

vinyl

Xtacy

Reaction score
Just purchased my 3m carbon fiber vinyl online and I plan on wrapping my roof. Anybody know if its possible to wrap it with just yourself? I mean I could ask my wife or wait for one of my friends from their busy schedule but I'd prefer to put it on once I get it. Also I ordered the 3m primer pen, does anyone know where I apply it? I'm assuming the curves and along side the edges. Should I prep it with alcohol or just clay bar?

dpartinvr4

Reaction score
By yourself its fine, just tape down the middle front to back , then do one side at a time staying in the middle working out, you'll need a heat gun for the roof louvers
And apply the pen along the louver edges where you'll have to stretch it.

05xrunnerx

Reaction score
If you got the same size primer pen I got it will not do the whole roof I can't remember what mine size was or if they even come in different sizes. Just a FYI

Xtacy

Reaction score
^ thanks dpartinvr

I actually ordered 2 primer pens, but I did hear prior to that 1 pen wasn't enough. Do I need to primer the whole roof?

dpartinvr4

Reaction score
Not really, only the obvious spots where you'll have to stretch it, just know that the more you use, the more likely spots for paint to come up if you ever take it off

Normally it won't, but the roof tends to get the clear coat baked and it comes up easier

Last edited:

dramad1

Reaction score
They also sale the prime/adhesion promotor by the quart.
I did my interior w/ 3m di-noc and used lots of the primer/ adhesion promotor and still had a few pieces I had the re wrap due to it peeling up around edges due to heat. Temps inside my bsp have gone as high as 167 with windows closed.

If I where to wrap my roof, I'd heavily use a wax remover and make sure it is super clean, then not skimp on the primer around the edges and not cut the vinyl right up to the edge where possible, like on the sides under the rubber trim, I'd leave a Lil extra if possible and the cover w/ the rubber trim pieces.
I only say to leave a Lil extra on the sides to help it stay down in case a corner starts to peel up, you will have that extra Lil bit to help hold down the rest of the vinyl and also have that extra Lil bit to work with if you have to re stretch it. Of corse the front and rear you will want to cut flush and not have that extra over hang.
Only thing that keeps me from doing mine is the fear of the edges peeling up and it looking like sh!t, then having to take it off and have wasted that few hundred bucks.
I'm also not sure how hard that primer is to get off your paint, if you remove the vinyl in the future and or if it messes the paint up. So you may not want to prime the whole roof and just do the edges and be sure the rest of the roof is clean and wax free. Soapy water will also help you position the vinyl.

raziug

Reaction score
id love to see the finished product once you get it done

dpartinvr4

Reaction score
Here's a full vehicle wrap with 3m matte grey

Attachments

• IMG_52106825347386.jpg
    IMG_52106825347386.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 80

dpartinvr4

Reaction score
With carbon accents

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130831_163356.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130831_163356.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 73

Xtacy

Reaction score
Well the whole reason I'm wrapping the roof is because its fading amd looks like sh@t compared to the rest of the paint. I figure spend 100$ on a cool wrap then gettibg it repainted for maybe 250$

Top Bottom