Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

what do you guys use

rx-runner

Reaction score
do you guys use a car wash place or do you do it yourself??

if you do it yourself, what do you use? do you have the porter cable

autopia_1935_3540192

im wondering because it would cost me around 200 for the wake and polish thing at the local car washing place, or i can get this kit for 210

Stevenredx

Reaction score
i never use a buffer... i always wax by hand.. :top:

If you don't know how to use a buffer all your doing is paying to have burnt spots and swirl marks all in your paint.. and its also 3x as easy to do it black paint. just my .02

rx-runner

Reaction score
thats what i was thinking, i think i should just cough up the 2bills for some one to do it right, otherwise i would end up paying more if i mess up the paint job

morcheez

Reaction score
i wax by hand to and it comes out pretty good ..swirl marks are gone for like a day haha

07XR808

Reaction score
Anyone have the product Xzilon on your truck? Dealership recommends not using cleaner-types of waxes, so I was wondering what types of waxes you folks used to polish your truck.

Stevenredx

Reaction score
I was using dura gloss polish but i ran out so i got some meguires stuff (pretty decent) when my funds are better i am going to be ordering some zainos

X-Rizzo

Reaction score
I do it myself by hand. I use Meguiar's Next Generation NXT wax and a high quality microfiber cloth.

rx-runner

Reaction score
its harder for a black truck. if i had a blue one or red one it wouldve been easier

Jonathan

Reaction score
thats what i was thinking, i think i should just cough up the 2bills for some one to do it right, otherwise i would end up paying more if i mess up the paint job

a nice rotary buffer will not mess up your paint. the vibrate more than spin. a polisher will have damaging effects. get the buffer system (make sure to get the porter cable they are bitchen) and you will be able to make it look much nicer than paying someone else to do it........and more than once.

also, you will not see nearly as good results by hand as a nice buffer.

XDsm

Reaction score
One of my future purchases is going to be a Porter Cable buffer. Waxing and polishing by hand gets tiring for me.

XRunninTaco

Reaction score
i use meguiars NXT Generation ... and i use a buffer ... i get tired with waxing by hand ... but when i clay my truck i use a microfiber cloth

GSX-Runner

Reaction score
I use all Meguiars products. Here is a link that tells exactly what I did with pics. Great results but this process will take better part of a weekend. I'll do this process once in the spring and clay/techwax the rest of the year.

G100 Rocks!

dermaestro

Reaction score
a nice rotary buffer will not mess up your paint. the vibrate more than spin. a polisher will have damaging effects. get the buffer system (make sure to get the porter cable they are bitchen) and you will be able to make it look much nicer than paying someone else to do it........and more than once.

also, you will not see nearly as good results by hand as a nice buffer.

This is not exactly true. Any product can screw up your paint without proper prep work. If there are contaiminants in your paint or on the applicator, you are dragging those across your paint. The Porter Cable is a dual-action where it spins and vibrates. I have this one and it works wonders. It's ideal for polishing as well as wax applications.

I used to wax by hand. Then I tried the DA and I can put two coats of wax on and buff off in 20 minutes where it would take me over an hour to by hand. I'll never wax by hand again.

If you like doing things yourself, the Porter Cable Dual Action is a great investment. If you want to pony up a little more cash, you can get the same kit from Meguiars with a life-time warranty. Whatever you do, do not get the wireless version, I've heard it's under-powered.

Jonathan

Reaction score
This is not exactly true. Any product can screw up your paint without proper prep work. If there are contaiminants in your paint or on the applicator, you are dragging those across your paint. The Porter Cable is a dual-action where it spins and vibrates. I have this one and it works wonders. It's ideal for polishing as well as wax applications.

I used to wax by hand. Then I tried the DA and I can put two coats of wax on and buff off in 20 minutes where it would take me over an hour to by hand. I'll never wax by hand again.

If you like doing things yourself, the Porter Cable Dual Action is a great investment. If you want to pony up a little more cash, you can get the same kit from Meguiars with a life-time warranty. Whatever you do, do not get the wireless version, I've heard it's under-powered.

well. no •XR•XR•XR•XR :laugh: you can grind in the surface dirt by hand as well.

dermaestro

Reaction score
well. no •XR•XR•XR•XR :laugh: you can grind in the surface dirt by hand as well.

True. Just illustrating how easy it is to mess up your paint without proper prep work. Most people are afraid of a regular rotary buffer because those are much easeier to mar the surface of the paint. The DA makes it a lot easier for the laymen to do it with very little risk.

I've had my DA for 2 years now. By far one of the best tools in my garage.

onin24eagle

Reaction score
I do have a PC Random Orbital, but don't need it on my X since it is new. I try to never go to a car wash because they will scratch the clear coat. Of course this time of year I'm not going to hand wash when it's 10 deg. out. When it's warm, I always hand wash using a mequires car wash soap. I use 2 buckets and a micorfiber mit. One bucket to soap up and one bucket to rinse the mit before washing the next section. To dry I sheet most of the water off with the hose on low pressure. That takes off most the water, so 2 microfiber towels get the rest. Last I run a leaf blower on the front end/scoop to blow out all the left over water then go over again with microfiber. If I don't use the blower, water will fly up on the paint and windshield after driving. Twice a year I clay the truck and apply polish/sealant like Zaino.

MORT-RUNNER

Reaction score
Anyone have the product Xzilon on your truck? Dealership recommends not using cleaner-types of waxes, so I was wondering what types of waxes you folks used to polish your truck.

I have Xzilon too and I have waxed numerous times. It's ok to do it. In fact it would be better to wax over the Xzilon finish. They really push Xzilion here in Hawaii cause of the Salt air and the Sun ray's.

XrunDan

Reaction score

I have that on my 05, and i just use non cleaning spray wax (not sure what brand, it came from a professional mobile car wash guy), works pretty well, but i cant wait til that stuff wears off so i can clay the bitch.

07XR808

Reaction score
I just waxed my truck over the weekend with a caranuba based wax. I then went a little over board using the spray on detailer every day since we've been having good weather until tonight...:thumpdown:

Top Bottom