Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

What is actually going in our Intake plenum...

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Most people think our intake plenum is just a funny looking piece of plastic used for directing air into our motor, and that their is some sort of actuator on the back that does something or another....Here is what it really does, according to Toyota:

Remember, the whole variable length runner theory (ACIS and other non Toyota app) is designed for N/A applications...not forced induction

acis1.jpg

acis2.jpg

ACIS.jpg

When my motor blew back in September, i couldn't for the life of me figure out what happened until is shoved a Borescope inside my plenum and found a something missing...A SCREW that holds the "bulkhead" or butterfly valve onto the shaft worked its way lose and went through my motor...i thought it just vibrated lose, but when i cut the actual valve out of my intake, i found this... (INB4 toe-thumb jokes...no, The all-mighty TOE-SPD was not helping me with this...):rofl::rofl::rofl:
2011-08-20173412.jpg

Missing screw....But wait, THERE'S MORE!!!!! turn out, the screw didn't vibrate lose, THE SHAFT BROKE!!!

2011-08-20173403.jpg

Now...what would cause this shaft to break...IDK...lets see, fatigue...age...rapid opening and closing...maybe it was miss-handled...maybe positive PRESSURE???? At the time, i was rocking a URD MRK-1, stage 3, and the plenum/motor itself had about 138k miles on it...so, approx 9psi being shoved into it. The Bulkhead (valve) itseslf is housed in a plastic "case" and is actuated via a metal shaft, controlled by the shaft and vacuum diaphragm below... The only thing in the picture above that is metal is the valve, shaft and screw...the rest of the assy. is plastic.

2011-08-20171556.jpg

Cut-away of the plenum, with the bulkhead removed...

2012-02-26180435.jpg
2012-02-26174823.jpg
2012-02-26174813.jpg

Now, this ACIS system was not designed to have air SHOVED into/past the bulkhead/door, just direct it. I cant help but wonder if having positive manifold pressure on it caused it to fail...or if it was just a freak accident, and the part failed for no reason. :dontknow: I do know that the screw went into the motor while doing some figure 8's, so it was most likely under-boost when the screw went through, whether or not the valve was open or closed, i cant say.

So to recap, you guys/I had/have positive manifold pressure going past a bulkhead housed in a plastic case, with a weak shaft and all of it is housed in a plastic plenum...:ahhhhh: People all ways talk about what these plenums can take before they split part, similar to G35's...(if i recall, 15psi is the DANGER ZONE for them)...Nobody really knows how much boost these intakes can take before they fail by cracking...or damage the ACIS components like in my case.

Now, reason im even bother posting this is for you Turbo and URD S/C guys to ponder about what position that valve should be in...

• Question #1, On a Turbo or URD s/c truck, is having it closed impeding on the flow of air to some extent and actually sapping power, or vise versa? I'm thinking a dyno experiment is in order..Two back to back pulls, one with the valve open, and one with it closed...Think about the TRD guys who pay big bucks to have their intake tracts/manifolds ported and cleaned up of any restrictions or bottle necks, to pick up a few more G/s, and in turn more HP....

So if removing small amounts of metal from around the TRD s/c intake and intake mani pick up some HP...what kind of flow does a 2x6" flap being slammed shut or opened in the Manifold do to peak G/S/HP????:hmmmm2::ahhhhh:
You can manually open/close it by applying/removing vacuum to it. Here is where things get interesting....

NO VACUUM on the diaphragm will yield CLOSED valve, (long runner mode).

VACUUM to the diaphragm will open it. (short runner mode)

The vacuum tank is designed to store vacuum so that the ECU can open or close the valve with or with out actual mani vacuum...

"Equipped with an internal check valve, the
vacuum tank stores the vacuum that is applied
to the actuator in order to maintain the intake
air control valve fully closed even during
low-vacuum conditions"

• Question #2, does the vacuum tank even hold vacuum, when positive manifold pressure is acting on it, as it was not designed to handle that? In other words, can the Vacuum switching valve even open or close the valve, under POSITIVE MANIFOLD PSI conditions....
How this can be tested...im not sure...feel free to chime in. :top:

The whole point of this ramble was to inform the general public about whats actually going on inside our plenums when air is being routed about according to the ECU's programming...and that the whole system was never designed to have positive manifold pressure being acted upon it....

I AM NOT BLAMING THE URD MRK-1 IN ANYWAY FOR MY MOTOR FAILING:top:

I switched out for TRD because i was paranoid about it happening again and i hated the power delivery of the Rotrex blowers in general, and knew that it was not going to work with what i wanted to do with my truck...and as far as i can tell, nobody knows for sure if the MRK-1 (or positive mani pressure in general) was the cause of my motors demise... as even the F/I "experts" cant say for sure how much PSI wil cause the manifolds fail (split from sheer PSI)...let alone the ACIS failing from "unusual forces acting on it"

With that being said, i just wanted to let the public know my POV on the subject and leave this thread open for debate on what to do about the ACIS and F/I (non TRD F/I) on our manifolds will do...

The TRD s/c doesn't have this system so this doesn't pertain to the TRD S/C...this should be oblivious as the TRD blower mounts in place of the factory plastic intake...:top: Figure i'd throw that out their...

~~~
Few starter questions for Gadget, as he seems to be on the leading edge of safety s/c these motors. :adore:

1. Have you tried doing dyno runs with the ACIS system open or closed?
2. Can the X-1 or UCON EMS be used to control the ACIS system to BENEFIT the power band of a URD S/C truck?
~~~

Please, lets not turn this into a TRD vs URD debate...this has to do with positive mani pressure in general, on our OEM intake plenums, not about what makes more power or gets your **** sucked faster.... :top:

Ridefoxone

Reaction score
Nice write up:top:You make a good point about positive pressure against the valve, but your valve also could of broke due to a defective piece or even over torqued. Gadget would know specifics though, can't wait for him to chime in. Also get an idea from how many others turbo/rotrex blew or had issues simular. Just my 2cents

Last edited:

Gadget

Reaction score
1. Yes.

2. Yes, the UCON can control the opening and closing of the ACIS valve. When the valve is disabled power in the mid range falls off significantly.

The opening and closing of the valve was optimized in the X-1 and also in the UCON.

In all these years, yours is in the only failure I am aware of of that system in any truck. Sucks to be you, but it does not seemed to be a real problem.

The valve is like a throttle valve. It does not matter if it is in boost or not. The density of the air in the plenum will change, but it will be equal on both sides of it and there should not be any additional load or stress on it from running positive pressure on it. Also the storage tank does just fine holding enough vacuum to cycle it.

G

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
1. Yes.

2. Yes, the UCON can control the opening and closing of the ACIS valve. When the valve is disabled power in the mid range falls off significantly.

The opening and closing of the valve was optimized in the X-1 and also in the UCON.

G

Sweet. Some how i thought this would have crosses your mind...:smile: ? few more Q's....

1.Was the power drop of you mentioned on a N/A or boosted truck?

2. Did it make more or less power to have it held open or closed on a F/I truck....or just leave it alone and let the OEM ECU do it thing.

I bet some turbo guys, and maybe MK-1 trucks would love to pick up a few ponies by optimizing the position of the ACIS valve....I would imagine that having it closed or open would hinder the flow one way or the other. No?

The valve is like a throttle valve. It does not matter if it is in boost or not. The density of the air in the plenum will change, but it will be equal on both sides of it and there should not be any additional load or stress on it from running positive pressure on it. Also the storage tank does just fine holding enough vacuum to cycle it.

In all these years, yours is in the only failure I am aware of of that system in any truck. Sucks to be you, but it does not seemed to be a real problem.

G

Hmmm...this is what i thought, but i wanted to hear another POV from someone on the whole pressure differential idea. Thanks for the info

...and yes....it does suck to be me...i drive some beat-to-shit truck that enjoys feeding on screws, and too top it all off even when its running right, it cant even go straight...:crinklehair:

Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Plugging vacuum lines seems the best option on my setup. This to prevent undue stress, as well as preventing those specific butterfly components from moving.

P.S. This Shiraz is freaking tasty.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Plugging vacuum lines seems the best option on my setup. This to prevent undue stress, as well as preventing those specific butterfly components from moving.

P.S. This Shiraz is freaking tasty.

i had Google Shiraz to figure out what that is...wine...man im a bad Portuguese :laugh:

/drunkin threadjack

Ridefoxone

Reaction score
By adjusting the timing of that valve couldn't you in effect do the same thing as a NST intake spacer? Or would that cause undue stress in the valve?

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Nst spacer gives the air and fuel more time to mix...acis controls airflow for ideal velocities And fill properties...

Gadget mentioned that the x-1 and ucon can control the valve separately from the ecu...

Ridefoxone

Reaction score
I was thinking that if you controll the timing you could hold the valve partially open causing the plenum to increase in size and velocity. just a thought

Grumpy

Reaction score
Nst spacer gives the air and fuel more time to mix...acis controls airflow for ideal velocities And fill properties...

Gadget mentioned that the x-1 and ucon can control the valve separately from the ecu...

The plenum volume is increase before the injectors, thus does not give it more time to mix. It does give air more time (via length) to accelerate toward the combustion chamber thus greatest gain with this mod is area under the curve. Diminish return has not reach so no power is lost anywhere in the entire RPM range.....just more gain in the low range then the top.

I was thinking that if you controll the timing you could hold the valve partially open causing the plenum to increase in size and velocity. just a thought

Controlling valve timing would not increase plenum size. That would only increase volumetric efficiency, velocity is also increase.

Its about time you cut up the intake manifold. Thanks for sharing all this info btw.

darthyota

Reaction score
If some one has a spare stock mani ill pressure test it

Ridefoxone

Reaction score
Since it is vacuum controlled, Can it be actually be timed open or partially opened? seems like it would be just opened or shut with vacuum? If it could be adjustable it seems like there would be benifits to this for the FI guys? Or would you just loose boost pressure?

Gadget

Reaction score
If some one has a spare stock mani ill pressure test it

Don't really need to.

It has already been sufficiently tested.

Early on in the X-1 development there was a problem in its power up strategy causing explosions in the plenum. On my truck it was so violent at times it would blow all the hoses off of the plenum and smoke would keep coming out for a minute or so. I would imagine that an explosion capable of blowing all the hoses off will be more than the 15-20 pounds or so of boost anyone would want to stuff in there.

G

darthyota

Reaction score
Don't really need to.

It has already been sufficiently tested.

Early on in the X-1 development there was a problem in its power up strategy causing explosions in the plenum. On my truck it was so violent at times it would blow all the hoses off of the plenum and smoke would keep coming out for a minute or so. I would imagine that an explosion capable of blowing all the hoses off will be more than the 15-20 pounds or so of boost anyone would want to stuff in there.

G

i was going to seal it and pressure it up till it burst :top:

Gadget

Reaction score
Make sure you get that on video....

G

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Since it is vacuum controlled, Can it be actually be timed open or partially opened? seems like it would be just opened or shut with vacuum? If it could be adjustable it seems like there would be benifits to this for the FI guys? Or would you just loose boost pressure?

It's not releasing air to atm. It's simply diverting it in the plenum. Boost pressure is mearly restriction to flow. Typically, you lose boost once you put on headers and a ypipe as there is nowless restriction in the exhaust. Are you actually makeing less power, now that your Mani pressure has dropped? Nope, psi dropped, but in general power went up. :top:

People pay 4-500 bucks to get the intake track on a TRD blower cleaned up, both before and after the actual compressor. Picks up some small amount of power ...understanding what this flap is doing, can possibly free up some serious power on mrk1 and turbo trucks, if I'm understanding flow correctly.

What I'm curious too, since gadget has done testing with it, is if having it follow the normal cycle on boosted trucks in hindering or helping flow???...guys running high psi and who don't have x-1 or ucon can then manually hold the valve in one position or the other. :top:

Make sure you get that on video....

G

:rockon: ^this

Last edited:
Top Bottom