Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Who Uses Fully Synthetic Oil

Joe_XR

Reaction score
What weight Mobile 1 ? Are you running the filters also?

XDsm

Reaction score
What weight Mobile 1 ? Are you running the filters also?

I use 5w-30 and use the stock Toyota filter. The Toyota filters are actually high quality and are well built.

dem0nkill

Reaction score
i use mobile 1 10w30 full syn . i have a question dough is 10w30 ok than the recommender 5w30 ? thnx btw i change mine between 5000 miles

rexrunner

Reaction score
The viscosity grade (for example, 5W-30) tells you the oil's thickness, or viscosity. A thin oil has a lower number and flows more easily, while thick oils have a higher number and are more resistant to flow. Water has a very low viscosity -- it is thin and flows easily. Honey has a very high viscosity -- it is thick and gooey.

Viscosity is ordinarily expressed in terms of the time required for a standard quantity of the fluid at a certain temperature to flow through a standard orifice. The higher the value, the more viscous the fluid. Since viscosity varies inversely with temperature, its value is meaningless unless accompanied by the temperature at which it is determined.

Multi-weight oils (such as 10W-30) are a new invention made possible by adding polymers to oil. The polymers allow the oil to have different weights at different temperatures. The first number indicates the viscosity of the oil at a cold temperature, while the second number indicates the viscosity at operating temperature. This page from the Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ offers the following very interesting description of how the polymers work:

At cold temperatures, the polymers are coiled up and allow the oil to flow as their low numbers indicate. As the oil warms up, the polymers begin to unwind into long chains that prevent the oil from thinning as much as it normally would. The result is that at 100 degrees C, the oil has thinned only as much as the higher viscosity number indicates. Another way of looking at multi-vis oils is to think of a 20W-50 as a 20 weight oil that will not thin more than a 50 weight would when hot.

thanks google :biggrin:

IN other words, you will always be safe using the 5w30. If your where it gets really cold then you should use a 10w30 or if your in fla you can run a 0w30 :top:

anyone correct me if im wrong.

Harmonius

Reaction score
IN other words, you will always be safe using the 5w30. If your where it gets really cold then you should use a 10w30 or if your in fla you can run a 0w30 :top:

anyone correct me if im wrong.[/quote]

WRONG>>> IF you live in cooler climates you would want to run an oil with a lower viscosity rating such as 0w30. And in a warmer climate you would want to run an oil with a higher viscosity rating such as 20w50

BlackXrunner05

Reaction score
Ive been using fram filters ive got one in my truck now . Are they decent or are they just over glorified and am i wasting my money?

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Fram filters suck IMO. Wix filters for me - they make the majority of your high end oil filters like Amsoil, NAPA Golds, etc.... I wouldn't be surprised if Wix made Toyotas filters as well.

I run Amsoil 20W50 TRO https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/tro.aspx - Many independent laboratories have declared Amsoil the best in comparison to many of the other available synthetics (including Mobil 1). Even Mobil themselves when asked if their product was superior or equal to Amsoil would not comment.

rexrunner

Reaction score
WRONG>>> IF you live in cooler climates you would want to run an oil with a lower viscosity rating such as 0w30. And in a warmer climate you would want to run an oil with a higher viscosity rating such as 20w50[/QUOTE]

:banghead: good to learn lol

rpmspeedyblue

Reaction score
Ive been using fram filters ive got one in my truck now . Are they decent or are they just over glorified and am i wasting my money?
another good oil filter that I find pretty good is WIX. I don't like fram filters. TN had a thread showing all the oil filters ratings. Can't find it now, but if I recall fram filters didn't do to well :thumpdown: . Mobil 1 filters, amsoil, napa and wix all rated pretty good. Also Toyota oem oil filters a good:top:

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
I was under the assumption that the 5W30s and 10W30s were pretty much for fuel economy and emissions reasons. I run 20W50 in the spring - fall and 10W40 in the winter here in up state NY.

rpmspeedyblue

Reaction score
Choosing Motor Oil (According to climatic conditions in your area)

Cold conditions
0w-30 +86 (+30 *C) below -25 degree's *F
5w-40 +104 (+40 *C) to -22(-30*C)
10w-30 +86 (+30*C) to -4 (-20*C)
10w-40 +104 (+40*C) to -4 (-20*C)

Normal conditions
0w-30 +30 and lower
5w-40 +104 to -22 degree's
10w-40 +104 to -4 degree's
15w-40 +104 to +10 degree's

Hot conditions
10w-50 +122 to -4 degree's
15w-50 +122 to +10 degree's
20w-50 +122 to +20 degree's
The minimum temp is determined by the first number 0w and Maximum is by the second number 30 which are in Celsius (*C)
0W-30 means an oil protects down to -35 degrees Celsius (-22*F) in winter and up to +30*C (+86*F) degrees in summer.
Hope this helps

Last edited:

BlackXrunner05

Reaction score
Good to know bout the fram filters btw when i change my oil i'll be looking for one of those ones yall mentioned ... so in south FL with summer approaching i'd be good with a 5w 40 ?

Top Bottom