Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Winter Wheels & Tires

Scratchy

Reaction score
The difference between steelies & aluminum wheels was minimal, so I picked up some cheap Sport Edition 16x7's with some Blizzak WS-60's - 236/60R/16's.

2007_1110_172554.jpg

I haven't had the chance to try them in the snow yet, but they are rated #1 on Ice.

2007_1110_172739.jpg

They do grip much better in the rain than the Toyo Proxy ST's.

06XR-SW

Reaction score
those are some nice looking snow tires and rims!! how long in to the new year do you have 2 keep those kind of tires on???

budcar

Reaction score
Where did you get them and how much were they? I need a set, the X is the worst vehicle I have ever driven in the snow. Wait a minute I can't drive it cause, I can't get out of my driveway.

FuCt

Reaction score
Heres Mine. Same town as Scratchy i keep em on till feb or so.

TruckTeakoPENGUIN076.jpg

Got them at Canadian Tire, about 400 for the set. (wheels only)

TruckTeakoPENGUIN077.jpg

XRYDER

Reaction score
I haven't had the chance to try them in the snow yet, but they are rated #1 on Ice.

Depends where you get your info. Nokian RSI's stop,corner, and accelerate better than the Blizz and X-ice. (seen it first hand.) Good choice with the Blizzaks though, still a great tire. You had nitrogen put in your tires heh.

Scratchy

Reaction score
Last edited:

FuCt

Reaction score
I have those tires. They are loud as hell. Sound like super swampers.

Yes they are extremely loud. Sounds like a bus. But doing very well in snow up to the body kit. Not too great on ice. I keep a towstrap with me at all times anyways.

richie_rich

Reaction score
Nice winter wheels. =)

I'm from Canada as well, gotta have those winters to keep me safe. Rolling on 15" OEM Camry steelies with Kumho KW19 tires... second season with them on, no problems at all...

img0089xf8.jpg

Last edited:

XRLover25

Reaction score
Scratchy, those tires/rims still look good!! Kind of funny...

and Richie Rich, nice yellow/red combo, never seen that yet. Keep it up! Everyone's doing so many mods and it seems like I just can't keep up :(

Scratchy

Reaction score
Well the snows came off this weekend.
I must say they proved themselves this winter in a couple of snow storms.
I went up and down some very steep hills in very wet snow conditions with no problem at all. I had about 150lbs of weight in the bed and drove like there was an egg shell on the gas pedal.
Overall I rate these WS-60 Blizzak's as superior to my Toyo Proxes ST in the rain, and they handled very well for a soft treaded snow tire in the dry.
The Proxes on stock rims now feel like slabs of cement compared to the Blizzaks.
The biggest difference is the unsprung weight.
The Blizzaks on 16x7s are only 45lbs each, whereas the Proxes on 18x8s are 55lbs each.
A total of 180lbs of unsprung weight compared to 220lbs is a huge difference an I can certainly feel it, especially on bumpy roads. I'm sure it hurts acceleration as well.
For those of you on 20s or 22s, you must be giving up handling and acceleration if your tires and rims are even heavier than stock.

Why is unsprung weight so important? Ask the people who make their money at it, the race car engineers. Reducing unsprung weight will improve acceleration, braking, just about all aspects. The exotic race cars have ultralight wheels, tires, move the suspension springs into the body and operate them with rocker arms and linkages. They have carbon fiber brake rotors and try everything they can to get rid of unsprung weight.
I have seen many “formulas” that claim getting rid of a pound of unsprung weight is the same as getting rid of 100 pounds of sprung weight that may not hold up to scientific scrutiny, but there is truth to the fact that unsprung weight reduction pays off.
So what does all this have to do with tires? As you go to wider tires guess what? You can increase your unsprung weight. Wider tires will require a wider wheel. Changing to a larger diameter tire will require a different wheel as well. So while you are looking at all those choices in replacement wheels try to find the lightest wheel you can afford. Unfortunately the sources for aftermarket wheels don’t generally make wheel weight easy to find out. I find that Tire Rack (http://www.tirerack.com/) does have that information for most of the wheels and you can call them directly if it is not listed on-line.

Has anyone else weighed their tire and rim combo?

Top Bottom