Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Word to the wise

Xacto

Reaction score
Buy new tires if you are putting down any more than 20 rwhp than stock and the stock tires are at less than half tread. My rear wheels are pretty damn close to toast and just yesterday, with no suprise, i turned onto the onramp going about 27 in 2nd gear, and right at the end of the turn i sligtly tapped the gas and the rear end kicked out and i did a nice little drift, by accident of course. Im so used to it im practically drifting off every corner. Im approx. 250rwhp and 280 rwtq. so it's significantly higher than stock, but even when i just had an untuned intake and catback the rear end kicked out real easy.

so, get them tires!

azjimi

Reaction score
Buy new tires if you are putting down any more than 20 rwhp than stock and the stock tires are at less than half tread. My rear wheels are pretty damn close to toast and just yesterday, with no suprise, i turned onto the onramp going about 27 in 2nd gear, and right at the end of the turn i sligtly tapped the gas and the rear end kicked out and i did a nice little drift, by accident of course. Im so used to it im practically drifting off every corner. Im approx. 250rwhp and 280 rwtq. so it's significantly higher than stock, but even when i just had an untuned intake and catback the rear end kicked out real easy.

so, get them tires!

This makes no sense at all. The wear on tires does not affect traction except in the wet. Why do you think slicks are used when people want MORE traction? If it never rained, we'd all be running slicks!

SWeiser31

Reaction score
This makes no sense at all. The wear on tires does not affect traction except in the wet. Why do you think slicks are used when people want MORE traction? If it never rained, we'd all be running slicks!

You can't compare non treaded tires(slicks) to treaded tires. They have two different compounds of rubber. Also, wear on tires has a direct effect on traction, even on dry ground. The compounds change as the tire wears and the tire gets harder which equals less traction. I know what your saying but I think you're over simplifying it.

azjimi

Reaction score
You can't compare non treaded tires(slicks) to treaded tires. They have two different compounds of rubber. Also, wear on tires has a direct effect on traction, even on dry ground. The compounds change as the tire wears and the tire gets harder which equals less traction. I know what your saying but I think you're over simplifying it.

I realize that slicks have a softer compound, so yeah, I'm over simplifying somewhat. However, in general, given the same compound, the more rubber on the road, the more traction. Tires dry out as they get older & that equals less traction, but I still disagree w/his advice.

CBRBob

Reaction score
Unless the tires are very old, they should handle better with less tread depth due to less tread squirm. The original statement is true though....on his truck, in that turn, at that time of day, at that speed etc. The statement originally made is too broad. Thats like saying if you corner over 10mph on new tires you will slide, sure if every condition is what it needs to be.

Besides, you said you 'slightly tapped the gas'. What does that have to do with 250hp?

Just remember, we are driving a 3500+lb TRUCK.

Last edited:

nighthawk2106

Reaction score
does any body know the exact weight of the truck, not an estimate. been curious for acouple weeks now.....

Xacto

Reaction score
Unless the tires are very old, they should handle better with less tread depth due to less tread squirm. The original statement is true though....on his truck, in that turn, at that time of day, at that speed etc. The statement originally made is too broad. Thats like saying if you corner over 10mph on new tires you will slide, sure if every condition is what it needs to be.

Besides, you said you 'slightly tapped the gas'. What does that have to do with 250hp?

Just remember, we are driving a 3500+lb TRUCK.

250 rwhp meaning close to 300 hp...meaning more than stock MEANING it's easier to blaze the tires. Jesus...i hate having to spell everything out.

BTW, i failed to mention the tread cracks in the stock tires too. They're everywhere. And yes, it was wet, i should have specified. I stand by my original statement.

Spyder327

Reaction score
250 rwhp meaning close to 300 hp...meaning more than stock MEANING it's easier to blaze the tires. Jesus...i hate having to spell everything out.

BTW, i failed to mention the tread cracks in the stock tires too. They're everywhere. And yes, it was wet, i should have specified. I stand by my original statement.

I think the part about it being wet makes a pretty huge difference man..

I go around corners all the time on stock tires without sliding.

and im 300rwhp meaning about 375hp... MEANING its even easier to blaze the tires.

Xacto

Reaction score
I think the part about it being wet makes a pretty huge difference man..

I go around corners all the time on stock tires without sliding.

and im 300rwhp meaning about 375hp... MEANING its even easier to blaze the tires.

......k? you're special i dunno?

If someone ends up in a ditch, dont blame me. We've all seen the freak accidents with the XR in the wet....

Last edited:

Spyder327

Reaction score
ok...my sarcasm was directed at him out of defense...not you. So you're basically defending him by mocking me...that's cute.

ps: you probably dont drive as hard as i do, plus, im not making up what happens...so i mean take it with a grain of salt. If someone ends up in a ditch, dont blame me. We've seen all the freak accidents with the XR....

Lol

1. Im just joking around buddy... :laugh:

2. I definitely drive at least as hard as you :driver:

3. If you really do drive the hard, you probably should have specified that in your advice.

p.s. thanks for calling me cute though :biggrin:

lol sure, edit it as i respond, lol

Xacto

Reaction score
Lol

1. Im just joking around buddy... :laugh:

2. I definitely drive at least as hard as you :driver:

3. If you really do drive the hard, you probably should have specified that in your advice.

p.s. thanks for calling me cute though :biggrin:

lol sure, edit it as i respond, lol

haha ya my bad dude i felt like i was being too much of a •XR•XR•XR•XR to a fella owner :driver:

rpmspeedyblue

Reaction score
I totally agree with the wet conditions with the stock tires. I easily start fish tailing it when shifting into 2nd.

Top Bottom