Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Working on dropping weight, so wish me luck!

Edgeman

Reaction score
Added up the calories of my breakfast back in March, and found it was almost 1,000 calories. Added up everything and found my daily intake was 2700-3100 calories/day (and that was just stuff I prepared at home, not when I went out for fast food). Started looking at absolutely everything I ate, and cutting out things I didn't need (including sugar, processed foods, etc.). I immediately cut my intake by 1,000/day, and have worked on trimming it down even further along the way.

The result: I've dropped 40 lbs. since the middle of March, and I work out less than I had the previous several years. When I stay on my program (i.e., not heading off to a wedding, weekend fishing trip with the boys, etc.), I've been dropping about 2lbs/week.

The more I drop, the better I feel. I'm shooting to get back down to what I weighed in high school. I'm going to stay on my program and hopefully I'll drop another ~35 lbs. by Christmas. Once I get down, I'm never going back to that weight again...not even close!!!!!

Wish me luck!

Baggins44

Reaction score
Good luck bro, I've been trying to do the same, but its hard

Gadget

Reaction score
That is awesome!!!

Press on!!

G

L3G10N

Reaction score
look into intermittent fasting and/or keto to help speed things along for you.

smftexas86

Reaction score
Thats awesome! Getting the motivation to start is the hardest part, after that its a breeze.

I lost 80lbs over the last 2 years, so i know how it feels!

keep at it!

azburnin

Reaction score
Keeping a strong resiliency against the things you eat and drink will help you loose the weight you desire. I have always helped out many of my friends that try to loose weight and gain muscle they once had. If you want an easy work out, and you know how to swim may I suggest swimming. Swimming is the best fat burner I know. Attempt to eat five small meals a day, accounting for the alloted calories and your body will start to metabolizing the body fat a lot faster then fasting would. You want to intake good food and lots of water!
Good luck, if you have questions hit me up. I've made it a habit to be a fanatic of fitness. Just ask G lol.

Snap I just noticed your in Va Beach, I always work out on the weekends. I can get you into my gym on base. The best around I guarantee you that!

X-MOKED U

Reaction score
counting calories? oh man all ive been doing is counting tacos and burgers lol i need to get on that ASAP!

goodluck on your quest sir

nick_gz1

Reaction score
no need to speed up the process 1-2 lbs a week is fine anything more and its not healthy. if your losing more than that a week your body is shedding more fat than muslce, especially with you not working out as much. so the route ur going is good and i congratulate you! good luck on the rest of your goal! its always a pleasure seeing results and thats where the motivation comes from.

Edgeman

Reaction score
Thanks for the well wishes!

Guess I should say that I've cut my cardio down from 2-3 hours/day, 5-6 days/week to around 1.5 hours 2-3 days/week. I've also incorporated lifting which I wasn't doing before, but the diet is what's shedding the weight. The reason I've cut my cardio is that I started my diet & the weight started dropping off several weeks prior to getting back on track with heavy cardio. I thought if the diet is doing the job, why kill myself with the cardio? Needless to say, I don't feel like I'm beating up my body as much as I did the last couple of years...

I'm probably doing what's considered a "Paleo" diet with Atkins influences, while tracking every calorie. Since I've been doing this since March, I probably don't need to actually track my calories...I just know what to eat now (I'm eating practically the same thing every day). I'm also never hungry, eating < half what I used to eat. That's crazy!

As for a typical Saturday in my diet, I usually have a handful of blueberries when I first get up. I'll hold off cooking breakfast until I start to feel hungry again (an hour or two later), then cook an egg-white omelet with a couple of jalapeños (fresh from my garden during the summer, switching over to sun dried tomatoes in the winter) and 5 strips of bacon (not much difference between pork & turkey bacon when it comes to calories, fat, etc.). That protein will hold me over well into the afternoon, and is probably key to curbing my appetite during the day. When I get hungry, I'll eat an apple, pear or a handful of almonds. I'll have a salad with (usually) Italian dressing, then wait until I get hungry again (in another hour or two) then grill a piece of chicken, pork or steak. I'll microwave a can of veggies (green beans, peas, corn, etc.), and eat half with the grilled piece of meat & refrigerate the other half for my next meal. I'll snack on peanuts in the evening. I've pretty much given up soda (diet and regular) & beer (hardest to go without...lol), and I'll drink black coffee in the morning, and water (with lemon) the rest of the day. On the days I do cardio, I'll add a small protein shake.

It sounds like a lot, but I guess I'm avoiding the hidden calories found in processed food. I eat when I'm hungry, so I never feel like I'm starving myself. Oh, seasoning is key! I like hot sauces, hot peppers, garlic and any other thing to really spice it up.

I track everything use a couple of excel spreadsheets. One to track my weight & cardio, and the other to track my daily caloric intake (as well as fat, carbs & protein). One thing I noticed is my fat to carb to protein ratio seems to be fairly even. I thought I would be heavy protein/low carb when I started, but I guess I'm getting enough "good carbs" to balance out my diet.

It's working for me, and I really don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. Probably the biggest key is to control your food intake, and the easiest way is to prepare as many meals at home as possible. Take your meals to work/school if possible. It's extremely difficult to stay "on program" when eating out a lot.

Hope this helps anyone wanting to start a similar program. I've tried multiple different ways to lose weight, and this is the first that's worked for me that I don't mind saying with the program for the long run. Guess it's a little bit of everything I've learned over the years, and the combination works for me. Hopefully I'll make it to 50 lbs. in 5-6 weeks, 60 in another, 70 in another...

Wish me luck!

azburnin

Reaction score
Well this seems like a solid plan, some people drop weight like a bad habit with just proper food choices. So good job man!

The only cardio I do, is anaerobic. Running blows lol.

L3G10N

Reaction score
here comes the paleo police: peanuts aren't paleo (just sayin') :laugh:

no need to speed up the process 1-2 lbs a week is fine anything more and its not healthy. if your losing more than that a week your body is shedding more fat than muslce, especially with you not working out as much. so the route ur going is good and i congratulate you! good luck on the rest of your goal! its always a pleasure seeing results and thats where the motivation comes from.

this isn't necessarily true, especially early on in a ketogenic diet where his body is dumping glycogen stores, water and fecal weight (bacteria feasting on carbs).

Last edited:

Cheezie

Reaction score
Keep it up!! My buddy has lost around 40 pounds since january, and gained quite a bit of muscle... just slimmed down. Hes alot happier

Edgeman

Reaction score
here comes the paleo police: peanuts aren't paleo (just sayin') :laugh:

this isn't necessarily true, especially early on in a ketogenic diet where his body is dumping glycogen stores, water and fecal weight (bacteria feasting on carbs).

I just used that term because it's probably the best description of how I'm eating. (I just love peanuts too much to give them up...even for a diet...lol Guess that's my biggest food vice.)

Keep it up!! My buddy has lost around 40 pounds since january, and gained quite a bit of muscle... just slimmed down. Hes alot happier

I know how he feels! :)

Last edited:

hrspwr236

Reaction score
Back around the same time, I cut out sugar and starch and the only exercise I do is the 15-20 mile bike ride once a week and I have lost 40Lbs, I am almost at my weight before I got a desk job, need another 20lbs of beer gut and I am good!

Phoenix

"Snow Ninja"
Reaction score
Hey, good on you :)

It takes a lot of dedication to make sure you get and stay healthy! Congrats on the lifestyle change, and keep at it!

Edgeman

Reaction score
Back around the same time, I cut out sugar and starch and the only exercise I do is the 15-20 mile bike ride once a week and I have lost 40Lbs, I am almost at my weight before I got a desk job, need another 20lbs of beer gut and I am good!

Great job, back at ya!

Sugar is a killer. The same goes for anything that jacks your blood sugar; basically all simple carbohydrates.

Top Bottom