Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Black and White X-Runner ... Thoughts ?

x-driver21

Reaction score
different is better in my opinion bro but white is really hard 2 keep clean i wuld stick wit darker colors but it ur truck dude and it wuld look sic juss too much washin 4 me :)

BlackCat

Reaction score
I agree to disagree on this one as custom paint jobs are subjective, reliant upon personal taste and I don't think they can truly be said to be a proven model one way or the other. Perhaps with monochromatic colors but with two tones I'd lean towards no.

Well, I'm not sure there's really any disagreement. I guess that also depends on one's definition of "proven model". By that, I simply meant the black on burnt metallic orange two tone is one that was well received on Xtoplinex's ride and has been used successfully on numerous other rides .Do a Google search for "black orange two tone paintjob" and the search is populated by dozens of examples, some quite startling. Substitute orange for white and the search results are less populous with fewer corresponding knockout matches. I'm simply stating that the black and white two tone is more of an uncharted territory from the standpoint of what has been done in the past and successfully so. I'm not saying it can't be done tastefully and successfully, I'm sure it can be and this poll appears to be heading in that direction. I just want to make sure I've got the right basic idea and an idea that is agreeable to most folk before I go there.

And, yes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It is subjective. I agree with you. But also just as one man's trash is another man's treasure, one man's beauty could be another man's beast. I just want to make sure I'm not cultivating a beast :laugh:

I personally find white to be a cleaner look and more in line with what you have done to the truck, other cars. An idea that just occurred to me is find a cheap set of OE wheels, spray them BSP and I think iyou'd end up with a damn nice looking X.

In the end I can't wait to see the final result.:smile:

Neither can I ... :top:

Wait a sec how can they apply clearbra so soon after painting? Or they doing that after 60 days? Good thing you have 3 cars that way if it does have to sit you can do so.

The clearbra won't go on for a month or so after painting. The body shop doesn't do their own clearbra, they outsource that to an independent installer. Their installer also operates a mobile service, so they'll come to me to apply the clearbra. So, basically, the truck will sit in the garage for a month or so after I get it back but before it sees the open road again.

I think Kevin just wants to be more like werty:laugh:

Here's to wishing ... :top:

different is better in my opinion bro but white is really hard 2 keep clean i wuld stick wit darker colors but it ur truck dude and it wuld look sic juss too much washin 4 me :)

Actually, white is easier to keep clean than black. I have a white pearl Mazdaspeed3, it gets washed less than the truck, but stays cleaner :top:

I say you do it! it looks sharp !

Thank you !

Last edited:

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
Other old chops:

WhiteLip.jpg

Orange_Black.jpg

Silver_Black.jpg

BlackCat

Reaction score
Talked with 4 of the same six coworkers that I talked to about the orange colors (couldn't get to the other 2, 1 was busy the other was out of office). Of those four, all were unanimous in their support of the white pearl / black pearl combo and all 4 preferred it over the orange / black.

Along with the other contributions to this thread, this brings the talliies to

21 or so yea's

1 nay
2 maybe's
4 or 5 alternative suggestions

... Still unanimous ...

I'll be heading to the body shop tomorrow or Monday and discus with them the new color choices. If this change in color patterns doesn't cause any heartburn and if I don't have any other issues in between (or change of mind), then the change to B/W will be final.

As of this point, these are the pearl whites I'm considering. I only have a Domestic Color Applications Guide, I don't have one for imports. Once I find one for imports I may adjust this color list. I will whittle this list down to two before actually buying any paint to do sample sprayouts as I really don't want to spend all that time I did with the oranges.

Starfire Pearl White (Toy077) - used on the Lexus IS-F
Crystal White Pearl Mice (Maz34K) - used on my Mazdaspeed3
Platinum Ice Tricoat Pearl (GM94) - used on the Cadillac SRX

Super Werty

Reaction score
Have you considered just doing a wrap? Im kind of surprised you are doing this, seeing as you like to keep the option to go back to stock for all other mods:laugh:

X-roller

Reaction score
Do an orange pearl in the clear and make the base a pearl white..... :top: Clear the entire truck with it so it goes with the flow.... so it will have a slight tint of orange in certain cases..... if done right the color can look down right sexy..... but if not then it can turn out to be hideous....

Last edited:

Tunedx

Reaction score
What about off white (ivory) that used I believe on the f150 Harley Davidson?

BlackCat

Reaction score
Have you considered just doing a wrap? Im kind of surprised you are doing this, seeing as you like to keep the option to go back to stock for all other mods:laugh:

I haven't seen any installers in the Tucson area that do full-vehicle wraps. And if full vehicle wraps cost a similar amount on the basis of per square foot of vehicle covered as ClearBra, then it'll wind up costing as much if not more than a two-tone to wrap the truck as it would to two-tone it. That, and vehicle wraps are not warrantied for the life of the vehicle like a paintjob is.

In terms of my other mods and having the option to go back to stock, the purpose of that desire is simply that I like to keep my stock parts in addition to the mod parts so I can strip the mods off and sell them separately if/as/and when I decide to sell off the truck in the future. Obviously, a custom paint job is a "permanent" mod. Though a vehicle wrap wouldn't be permanent and does give me the option to return the truck to stock, it doesn't give me something I can strip off the vehicle and sell off for cash separately, all it gives me is a pretty pile of vinyi trash on the floor:laugh:

Do an orange pearl in the clear and make the base a pearl white..... :top: Clear the entire truck with it so it goes with the flow.... so it will have a slight tint of orange in certain cases..... if done right the color can look down right sexy..... but if not then it can turn out to be hideous....

I actually gave than a little thought. But then that becomes custom paint and something like that would require a real specialty paint shop that deals in specialized customs. And that stuff don't come cheap :frown:.

it looks good. you just need a drop bro.

Yet something else I've toyed wtih. Not entirely sure if and when I'll do that for a variety of reasons. But, yes, something to think about ...

Sweet. I really dig the black n white.

Thank you !

When are you making your final choice?

Quite possibly today or this weekend. Still have to talk with the body shop and the paint shop about color choices and get my hands on an import color catalog

What about off white (ivory) that used I believe on the f150 Harley Davidson?

Beyond their trademark black and reddish orange, I'm not familiar with any H-D colors. Do you have some photos and paint codes ? that could give me something to look at and consider ?

Edit : Just realized (sorry man, recovering from a cold, still brain foggy) that you were referring to the FORD F-150, not some H-D motorcycle. But again, do you have photos and a paintcode ? I have an domestic OEM color catalog (has colors for every domestic vehicle for 2008) and am not seeing any Ford white (or ivory) pearls that I like outside of their "White Chocolate Tricoat" (FordPV), but that's a bit more cream than white.

Last edited:

xmoney jr

Reaction score
do a white x-runner with black racing strips with blacked rims and chrome lip
try that i wanna see if it looks good ?

TitanRattler813

Reaction score
Did these a long time ago...

Pearl_White_2.jpg

I tend to generally not care for two-tones because it looks like half a paintjob and I figured I'd get bored with it pretty quickly... but this pic I like a lot!

Since it's not up for consideration and you don't want to look too fast (lol) I'd say go with Starfire Pearl if you have to choose between white and orange... also a dark grey stripe to break up the line.

I take it you are against continuing the break into the door jamb? Those kinds of details to me signify actually getting your money's worth, but like I said, once past the inital wow factor of the two-tone it bores me :dontknow: I guess it helps that this isn't your only vehicle though.

Anyway, my vote is for Starfire Pearl. I would have said Glacier Frost Mica, but that would overwhelm the BSP... plus it turns pink if you look at it wrong, kind of like when Will gets embarassed :laugh:

BlackCat

Reaction score
I tend to generally not care for two-tones because it looks like half a paintjob and I figured I'd get bored with it pretty quickly... but this pic I like a lot! Since it's not up for consideration and you don't want to look too fast (lol) I'd say go with Starfire Pearl if you have to choose between white and orange... also a dark grey stripe to break up the line.

Yeah, seems to be the common consensus. Most folk seem to prefer the white over the orange, the white seems far less polarizing even though it is more constrasting (if that made any sense :laugh:). As for the pinstripe, thinking either silver/chrome like the accent line on my BSP eyelids or red. Not sure yet ...

I take it you are against continuing the break into the door jamb? Those kinds of details to me signify actually getting your money's worth, but like I said, once past the inital wow factor of the two-tone it bores me :dontknow: I guess it helps that this isn't your only vehicle though.

Yep, this won't go into the door jambs. It's significantly more time consuming and costly to do that and it only paints areas that no-one ever sees.

As for the initial wow-factor and getting bored with it, yes I see your point. But the same also applies to ALL mods ... to ALL vehicles. It doesn't matter what you do to your ride or what ride you have. You'll eventually tire of it. I'm sure that all of the folk here on XRU that have since sold off their X's and moved onto other rides can attest to the wow factor of when they first got their X ... then how over time, it just kinda got old. The same can probably go for folks who have gotten boosted, how it felt great that first time they nailed the throttle, but how now it just kinda feels so-so. That's why I tend to space my mods on all my vehicles out instead of doing them all at once. It just makes the vehicle seem "newer" and "fresher" to me for "longer". I was mullling doing leather in the X but when this two-tone opp came up, I pushed the leather out to later this year or next year.

Anyway, my vote is for Starfire Pearl. I would have said Glacier Frost Mica, but that would overwhelm the BSP... plus it turns pink if you look at it wrong, kind of like when Will gets embarassed :laugh:

Yeah, Ive been doing some Googline on Starfire Pearl and Frost Mica, I've read the same comments from others. As for Will getting embarrassed, let's keep that our little secret, ok ? :laugh:

do a white x-runner with black racing strips with blacked rims and chrome lip try that i wanna see if it looks good ?

I've got an idea that copies some of those elements over ... you'll see in due time :top:

Subaru satin white pearl 37J is one of my favorites.

I'll take that into consideration :top:

Last edited:

darthyota

Reaction score
i thought the frost mica pearl turned blue and it was the caddy color that turned pinkish

TitanRattler813

Reaction score
i thought the frost mica pearl turned blue and it was the caddy color that turned pinkish

It's mostly bluish white, which is what I meant by the overwhelming part, especially since the whole vehicle won't be pearled. I think the pink starts to show at extreme angles. It's nowhere near as pink as the Escalade/DTS color (I don't know the paint code name of it, but I know what you mean).

BlackCat

Reaction score
It's nowhere near as pink as the Escalade/DTS color (I don't know the paint code name of it, but I know what you mean).

So you know which years of Escalade / DTS have this color in question ? I don't think that it's the SRX color I was thinking of (I've been looking it up, seen no issues with "pinking"), but just want to be sure.

Edit : I looked up recent model year (09-10) DTS and Escalades, the only white the two share in common is
"White Diamond Metallic TriCoat" (GM98)

Last edited:
Top Bottom