Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

****caution to all djm****

Tunedx

Reaction score
I'm glad I had my control arms sandblasted and pc. Factory finish is poo....

eXtenzeHi

Reaction score
Keep us updated. Bought mine used but with no rust or anything. Might wanna get them pced....

Knuckles

Reaction score
looks sweet lol... nah really glad you ok, flipping an x isnt a great experience at all

Rat Rod

"Blade"
Reaction score
plasti dip over the notch k2 will prevent us for a long time hen just apray agin when it flakes

Can XR

Reaction score
You are so lucky dude. I had a brake line blow in my old car going down a hill. The only thing that saved me it was a 5 speed. Glad it happened at low speed.

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looking at this pic - it doesn't look like your arms have that DJM flaking coating. Is that true or are they just dirty?

6E4A2971-B8F6-4F38-B3E1-A0DC18C79410-4929-000002C58E7B71F2.jpg

TommyXrunner

Reaction score
:ahhhhh: this just makes me wanna cry.....must be a defect in a weld or something :hmmmm2: i had the djm 3/4 on my 05 4 banger tacoma for about a year before i sold it. i drove it hard and never once had a problem

STONER-X

Reaction score
Getting them powder coated wont keep them from cracking. that weld had a crack from the get go.. if you get them PC the only thing it will do is keep moisture from getting into the weld only... if the weld is already weakened it may eventually... and while the powder coat will keep it stronger for a while it is possible it will crack due to the weak weld flexing then start the rusting process...

I think the best thing to do is coat it however you want.. just don't forget.. take a peek at it once a month or so when you do an oil change...

Everynow and then a bad product gets out of anybody's hands.. :(

darthyota

Reaction score
It looks like to much heat on the weld, it cristalized the surounding steel. Definitely manufacturing defect

Just curious but what makes you qualified to say that I mean I'm a welder and I've seen my share of failed welds and I couldn't tell you if it was too much heat or just material fatigue that caused that to fail just from the one picture

Grumpy

Reaction score
Powder coating will keep corrosion off the part but it will also keep you from seeing the stress/fatigue crack of the weld & surrounding area.
Long time no see brother! Hope you get it all sorted out.

autobodyX

Reaction score
Getting them powder coated wont keep them from cracking. that weld had a crack from the get go.. if you get them PC the only thing it will do is keep moisture from getting into the weld only... if the weld is already weakened it may eventually... and while the powder coat will keep it stronger for a while it is possible it will crack due to the weak weld flexing then start the rusting process...

I think the best thing to do is coat it however you want.. just don't forget.. take a peek at it once a month or so when you do an oil change...

Everynow and then a bad product gets out of anybody's hands.. :(

I also get the impression that everyone thinks that rust caused the crack:hmmmm2:. The rust in the back half of he weld shows that the crack has been there for some time. I would think that it bent slowly after the initial crack, probably showed a little tire wear as the only warning sign than wham there it went.
I run mine on the track regularly and this scars the hell out of me:ahhhhh: you can bet that I will be checking mine out real good every time before I hit the track.

lamecargo

Reaction score
No unusual tire wear at all...the only thing I noticed was the truck seemed like the alignment has a tad off

absolut

Reaction score
Damn, thats pretty bad. I will think twice to getting the djm now. Shit should not be rusting period. Hope djm fixes this with there products.

shaggy08xr

Reaction score
Never had any desire to go djm, but if I did this might change my mind. Im glad to see you are ok and hopefully you can get it resolved pretty quickly.

autobodyX

Reaction score
No unusual tire wear at all...the only thing I noticed was the truck seemed like the alignment has a tad off

Like I said this is scary for all of us that has this kit. Thank you for the warning, if I feel any differance in my front end, or other things I always check it out because things happen with all I but my vehicles threw at track events. I really wanted tubular control arms but now I'm not so shure.

I have 16 track days on the 06, all stock suspension, and the only thing I broke was a front shock one time.. it just started popping. Azburnin had 3 days on his before I baught it from him, with no problems. I planed to take it to VIR in November, for a two day event,not so sure about it now. After a thero safety inspection I may only do one day and then look everything over again good to see how it held up.

I am glad it was not any worse for you, and hope that is just a fluke thing with a unlucky bad part, maybe they built it on a monday morning after the super bowl.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score

i busted the lower control are mount (on the frame), after one track event. my huge red flag was that she was pulling to right bad, wheel was off center, and i swear there was more camber then normal.....

I have decided i'm gonna avoid the DJM kit now, and just jump straight to custom upper and lower a-arms built, the uppers, being included with hiem joints, so i can get some crazy camber out of her, (drift set ups):top: only downside, is will NEED a daily driver, as my truck will be sitting at the shop for some time.

babyboi2284

BaggedXR2284
Reaction score
I've been on XRU for 2 1/2 years now and this is the first time I've seen a DJM part fail. And I completely understand how life threatening this could have been but now everyone won't go DJM because of it? I don't get it. Bad welds happen even with the best of people. I'm sure you can do an ultrasound on the welds before you install but that gets expensive. We all mod our trucks thinking nothing will ever happen but also have to realize things may and most likely will happen. I'm glad you are ok and hopefully this gets sorted out for you soon. Good luck bud.

DJM DIRECT

Reaction score
in over 8 years of selling this kit and installing more than my fair share lol this is the first that ive seen one break. Ive seen 3 stock a arms bent on these trucks also and no accidents so sometimes stuff happens.

Im sure mike or jeff or mark there will help you out and honeslty I wouldnt worry about it. In over 8 years first arm that broke is not really a failure rate that I'd be worried about.

Last edited:

LSU-XRU

Reaction score
It could have been tempered at the wrong temperature. Martensite is created through certain types of cooling and creates very brittle steel alloys that when they break show crystalization as seen in your picture. So even a few degrees of difference in the tempering process might have caused this.

Top Bottom