Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

collapsed lifter?

TahoesHateMe

Reaction score
Straight air pressure from your compressor will be fine. Use the hose for a compression tester and plug an air hose to it instead of the gauge. It just need to hold the valve in place.

dpartinvr4

Reaction score
well, got the tear down done, can't really see anything with the cam in, is there anything I can do when I pull the cam to mark the timing so it goes back together smoothly?

Gadget

Reaction score
Did you do a compression check yet??

I would not pull a cam out on a whim. Check the lash on all of the valves to see if any are out of adjustment.

G

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Make sure your cam gear marks look like these. You can also kind of see the cam lobes. When they look like mine, you will be ok.

20130203_114830_zpscd382c3d.jpg

20130203_114821_zps07b7e0ee.jpg

If you don't want to spin the engine until all of the colored links line up, then just spin it until all four cam gear reference marks are lined up like mine, the VERY DISTINCTLY mark the SPECIFIC exhaust cam gear link which lines up with the DOT on the cam gear.

dpartinvr4

Reaction score
Thinking about it, i might be able to leave the chains on and just tilt the cam to get to the back valve

Gadget

Reaction score
Do not try to tilt the cam. You can snap the thrust bearing right off.

Why are you trying to get to the rear valve?

G

dpartinvr4

Reaction score
Gadget, looking at the SM, it makes sense to check my lash first, good call there. the spring in question doesn't feel different than the others "the part of it i can feel" so lash is the next step before pulling the cam "which I'll have to do to change the lifter anyway."

Gadget

Reaction score
Why are you going to change the lifter?

I think I am missing something here. What the hell is going on?

G

Gadget

Reaction score
Yes if you need to adjust the lash you have to pull the bucket and measure it to find out what to replace it with.

G

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Like Gadget said, definitely do not angle/tilt the cam. Once you have the chain off, it is very easy to pull. Then you can get right to the cam bucket and see hwat is going on underneath.

Unless it is the intake cam.....let's hope it is not.

rennurx

Reaction score
All i know is when its time for me to build my engine I'll be shipping it off to someone who knows what there doing.. I didn't even like changing my cam gears..

dpartinvr4

Reaction score
........I'm 99% Sure its intake cam side, ill find out for certain later tonight and post my findings. Wish me luck.

dpartinvr4

Reaction score
well, all my lash measurements are in spec, but I did find something interesting when pulling the plugs to turn to TDC

I've had these plugs in for almost a year now, not sure how it would back out, much less back out 9 months later. this is also the second electrode tip the truck has eaten, it doesn't seem to like plugs very much.
anywho, put the truck back together, still has the tick but it's much less pronounced. the truck has all it's power back again, verified no missfires, the sound now almost sounds like it's comming from my driver side collector, so maybe this was just some mutated exhaust leak from hell. I'm going to tighten all my exhaust bolts up tomorrow and see what that does.

Gadget

Reaction score
Have you done a compression test yet?

Eaten up plugs can be a sign of detonation.

G

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Damn! You had A LOT of combustion gases blowing by that plug. That is crazy!

Anti-seize and less NOS. Lol.

dpartinvr4

Reaction score
The nos isnt functional.....yet

And im fully fuel upgraded, ruining slightly rich and those are 24 heat range plugs so idk where I'd be knocking

Last edited:

Gadget

Reaction score
Have you done a compression test yet????

If you have a piston that is rocking over to much and is slapping you will see this on a compression test.

G

Top Bottom