Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

DT pipe bomb

Murderface

Reaction score
Well I'm sad to say it but I'm totally disgusted with my recent purchase of the Doug Thorley pipe bomb Y pipe! Before I installed it I had DT LT's stock Y and a Magnaflow cat-back. Now that I installed this DT Y I've had to take off my Magnaflow muffler and replace it with a dynomax super turbo muffler to get rid of the rasp. Well, it still has the rasp and still sounds like SSHHIITT!
It looks like my only option is to to take it off and put my stock Y back on. With this said and done, looks like I'll have a brand new DT Y and a brand new dynomax super turbo muffler for sale in the near future.
If anyone is interested in these items, send me a PM and we'll work something out

blastap

Reaction score
i kinda did the same thing man. just because its faster doesnt mean its better.

Gadget

Reaction score
I am sorry to hear that you are not liking the exhaust note with the DT Long Tubes and the DT Pipe Bomb.

G

Murderface

Reaction score
I don't why anyone would like the way that sounds! It sounds horrible. The way it sounded with the DTLT's my stock Y and my magnaflow catback was good and sounded strong, now with the DT Y it just sounds CHEAP:thumpdown: even adding the dynomax super turbo it still sounds like marbles rattling around in a tin can! Only the DEF wouldn't mind this. That was a waste of $300+
I would just hate to find out that cutting my catback up to put the magnaflow in front of the dynomax to solve this marble rattle still wouldn't help

Roxspin72

Reaction score
I don't why anyone would like the way that sounds! It sounds horrible. The way it sounded with the DTLT's my stock Y and my magnaflow catback was good and sounded strong, now with the DT Y it just sounds CHEAP:thumpdown: even adding the dynomax super turbo it still sounds like marbles rattling around in a tin can! Only the DEF wouldn't mind this. That was a waste of $300+
I would just hate to find out that cutting my catback up to put the magnaflow in front of the dynomax to solve this marble rattle still wouldn't help

Is it just me, or are most of the issues w/the pipebomb only involving the N/A folks. just trying to start a concensus in figuring out why some of us just dont get the quality sound thats advertised by DT.

I believe it's the guaging of the pipes. My URD Y-pipe was heavier, and seemed to be made of a thicker gauge SS piping. It sounded great, but way to loud w/the DTLT's. I put on the pipebomb to reduce noise as advertised, but no dice. And Yes, there was a cheap sound at certain RPMs. Now I have stock Y-pipe back on and it sounds mean... Im sure if I drop the resonator, it would still sound great, just a little louder . The rear Cats are actually High flow cats, and seem to reduce all the turbulent noises created by increased exh flow.

What you all think:hmmmm2:

RJDoute

"My Salami Nipples Ooze Milk"
Reaction score
I appreciate posts like this, helps me know what to save my money on at a later date. :top:

Murderface

Reaction score
Other then the marbles in a tin can sound, the dynomax muffler sounds good. It has a nice-deep sound to it. I'm just annoyed I can't get rid of the pinging sound thatthe Y-pipe has left me with. Maybe adding my magnaflow back to the picture might solve this but I'm just not ready to cut my catback up to add it. We'll see what happens after driving it a little longer.

Sorry about ranting on about this, I just had high hopes for the pipe bomb. It deffinately feels like I've picked up a few HORSIES from the Y-pipe, I guess when u open up the exhaust as much as I have, this is what u get:dontknow:

TNguyen

Reaction score
Man, I am in the same boat as you..!!!! Just got my DT y pipe and installed it yesterday morning..At 2500 it was really raspy. Now I either have to put my banks exhaust on or yank out the new y pipe...:(

5000XD

Reaction score
Why not put in a second magnaflow muffler like Gadget did?

ABP

Reaction score
Why not put in a second magnaflow muffler like Gadget did?

+1 just have a Magnaflow installed in front of the Dynomax. It will fix that cheap sound and you will keep your power gains.

Murderface

Reaction score
Only problem I have with installing my magnaflow is thAt it's a offset in and center out so looks like I'll have to buy they same one Gadget has. After that I'll basically have the same setup G has but a DT Y instead of a URD Y and my catback is 2 1/2" and not 3" like G also has.

joman

Reaction score
so you have the
DT LT
DT pipe bomb
magna flow catback

can i hear your exhasut with a vid?...mayber from like 5 feet away from the exhaust..i would like to hear how it sounds..

i'm sorry your not liking your exhaust....good luck!

5000XD

Reaction score
I ordered the second magnaflow and its going on my truck in august somewhere, need to ship it abroad. I'm really curious how it will sound. At the moment I still have my 2 front cats, URD Y pipe and URD exhaust (magnaflow?)....

Gadget

Reaction score
With the two front cats in there, it will sound wonderful.

I have a new muffler that I was sent that I am told will tame the rasp with no cats and sound nice and deep. We will see.

G

Murderface

Reaction score
so you have the
DT LT
DT pipe bomb
magna flow catback

can i hear your exhasut with a vid?...mayber from like 5 feet away from the exhaust..i would like to hear how it sounds..

i'm sorry your not liking your exhaust....good luck!

all i have is my I phone to take vids with....but ill try that to see if it works

BadAzzXrunR

Reaction score
I was considering getting DT long tube headers. I was thinking of pairing it with a URD "competition" Y pipe and either keeping my Magnaflow cat back, or replacing it with URD cat back. Any thoughts on using the URD "competition" Y pipe? Any issues with sound, or emission's inspection?

Yardie

"The Jamaican"
Reaction score
I was considering getting DT long tube headers. I was thinking of pairing it with a URD "competition" Y pipe and either keeping my Magnaflow cat back, or replacing it with URD cat back. Any thoughts on using the URD "competition" Y pipe? Any issues with sound, or emission's inspection?

Did you hear MY68UR8TRD' s truck?? That's what yours would sound like. In terms of emissions, you probably won't pass without any cats on there.

BadAzzXrunR

Reaction score
I know the URD Ypipe would eliminate the back set of cats. I'm assuming the DT's eliminate the front set?

Top Bottom