Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

FAQ: Gas Mileage

XrunnIT

Reaction score
Depending if I had a race between fill ups between 15.6-17.8. 99% city driving, with a K&N intake with a True Flow filter and the URD Catback.

But I don't drive to save gas, I didn't get this truck for gas mileage. My ranger before (3.0L V6) was getting between 22mpg and 24mpg. I got the truck for looks, and drive it with authority. :top: :rock:

x-runner kid

Reaction score
wow how is that so many people only get like 230 or so miles on a tank my personal best on a tank of gas was about 415 miles on my way to california from oregon I usually average about 20mpg my best is about23-24mpg

x-runner kid

Reaction score
I drive alot with authority to because I can but I still don't get that bad of gas milage and I average about 50% hwy and 50% city driving

XrunnIT

Reaction score
wow how is that so many people only get like 230 or so miles on a tank my personal best on a tank of gas was about 415 miles on my way to california from oregon I usually average about 20mpg my best is about23-24mpg

Better gas, and a more efficient engine.

Remember how many moving parts there are in an engine, every moving part is decreasing your fuel efficiency. And with how precise parts are made these days, even the smallest difference could have an effect. Now multiply that by every moving part. That's a lot of parts that will lower your mpg.

Spyder327

Reaction score
With the URD S/C i was averaging between 16-18 mpg, depending on how i drove of course.

x-runner kid

Reaction score
Better gas, and a more efficient engine.

Remember how many moving parts there are in an engine, every moving part is decreasing your fuel efficiency. And with how precise parts are made these days, even the smallest difference could have an effect. Now multiply that by every moving part. That's a lot of parts that will lower your mpg.

true never thought of that

TacoInvader

Reaction score
I'm averaging around 19mpg the weeks I drive my truck to work which is mixed city and highway. The weeks I dont I average around 16mpg or so purely city. I drive it easy for the most part but will drive with authority when needed or feeling like it. :top:

I could probably squeeze 21mpg out of it if I drove like a granny but who wants to do that??

lucke

Reaction score
i've been averaging ~315 to a tank when the gas light comes on. which is about 17.5-18mpg

mrc71

Reaction score
I have only filled up 3 times and my MPG was 18.5,19.4 and 19.7 in mostly city driving.I have not been easy on it at all and there is even a trip to the track in there also.I go between 340-360 on a tank.

BlackCat

Reaction score
Interesting... seems to be a radical variation in mileage numbers from folks on here, anywhere from the high single digits to the low 20's. Is this a reflection of a wide variation in driving styles ? Or a reflection of a wide variance in the production of all our engines ? Howabout the effect of engine mods (CAI's, S/C's, etc), exhaust mods, quality of fuel and even tonneau covers ? Yeah complex question, but appears to be a complex issue.

05runner

Reaction score
Im getting bout 300 average to a tank. so i guess thats about 20mpg or so. Thats under normal driving too. Not flooring it everywhere i go:top:

lucke

Reaction score
Interesting... seems to be a radical variation in mileage numbers from folks on here, anywhere from the high single digits to the low 20's. Is this a reflection of a wide variation in driving styles ? Or a reflection of a wide variance in the production of all our engines ? Howabout the effect of engine mods (CAI's, S/C's, etc), exhaust mods, quality of fuel and even tonneau covers ? Yeah complex question, but appears to be a complex issue.
its more of the location (gas used/available) and driving styles. for instance, Cali does not have 93 octane because of emissions standards, but Texas does. elevation also plays a large role because of air density working for/against the engine. and lastly, some people just love to hammer the throttle any chance they get.

rpmspeedyblue

Reaction score
its more of the location (gas used/available) and driving styles. for instance, Cali does not have 93 octane because of emissions standards, but Texas does. elevation also plays a large role because of air density working for/against the engine. and lastly, some people just love to hammer the throttle any chance they get.

+1, I agree the XR's are very fun to drive and you can't not help but punch it once and awhile. :rock: :driver:

mrc71

Reaction score
BTW,I have no mods,only 1300 miles on the truck and the first tank was 93 octane(Free from dealer,they let me go fill it!)and it has had 87 octane in it ever since.

lucke

Reaction score
BTW,I have no mods,only 1300 miles on the truck and the first tank was 93 octane(Free from dealer,they let me go fill it!)and it has had 87 octane in it ever since.
that could be part of the reason... i've always filled mine with the recommended premium, except once when i filled it with 89 on accident. i felt the loss of power and horrid mileage instantly. i wouldn't let 87 touch my truck.

Matt's06

Reaction score
I get about 320 miles to a tank. That is even while putting the pedal to the metal quiet a few times.

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
I just filled up yesterday and calculated 12.08 mpg. My driving is about 99% city.
When taking a road trip, I can add about 100-120 more miles per tank.

XrunnIT

Reaction score

+1, I agree the XR's are very fun to drive and you can't not help but punch it once and awhile. :rock: :driver:

And that is the #1 reason I got the XR!! :rock: :driver:

I would say gas quality has a huge factor. What type of gas are you guys using?
They only have 91 here in Vegas, and we sit between 2000ft and 2100ft. :thumpdown:

mrc71

Reaction score
that could be part of the reason... i've always filled mine with the recommended premium, except once when i filled it with 89 on accident. i felt the loss of power and horrid mileage instantly. i wouldn't let 87 touch my truck.
Ummmm......my owners manual says to use 87 octane.Who is reccomending you to use 93 octane?I see no need to waste the money if the truck isn't going to run any better.Plus,if it is tuned for 87 octane and you use a higher octane,it could loose power due to the fuel burning slower.If you have a different tune than stock then that is a different story.I do however run 93 octane in my Mustang because I have the timing advanced.If I run 87 octane it will detonate under hard acceleration.

Shanes56

Reaction score
I average about 17-18 a tank, 50/50 between city and highway. I couldnt complain it is better that my old R/T 5.9, that thing sucked I would average about 11-12mpg under the same conditions.

I will second that 87 is all mine requires

Top Bottom