Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

gear swap #2 diy, pics and video

WCD

Reaction score
awesome, way to have the balls to do so. with a 3.73 you should be up with a F/I X. and if you are F/I you will be stomping all other X's

I'm gonna due the swap on Tuesday.
I just scored a low-mileage OEM 3.73 gear. After that I'm taking it to the track.

Vecte

"Fluffy"
Reaction score
I would like to know how gas mileage is with this gear swap. Obviously we are going to lose some MPG, but how many. Are we talking 1-2, or 4-5?

Hitman

Reaction score
I would like to know how gas mileage is with this gear swap. Obviously we are going to lose some MPG, but how many. Are we talking 1-2, or 4-5?

That is where the Scanguage comes in Handy :wink:

XrunnIT

Reaction score
with a 3.73 rear end on stock sized tires city mpg won't hardly change at all. Your cruising mpg is what will drop. Now we cruise 70-75 at about 2500rpms with the 3.15 gears. With 3.73 gears, you'll be around 3000-3200rpms. So the difference would be like cruising at 90mph instead of 70.

Vecte

"Fluffy"
Reaction score
with a 3.73 rear end on stock sized tires city mpg won't hardly change at all. Your cruising mpg is what will drop. Now we cruise 70-75 at about 2500rpms with the 3.15 gears. With 3.73 gears, you'll be around 3000-3200rpms. So the difference would be like cruising at 90mph instead of 70.

That could be manageable, 95% of my driving isn't over 60MPH.

WCD

Reaction score
I'm rarely on the freeway very long. 3.15 is a great cruising ratio, but I don't cruise much.

Coupe

Reaction score
Things I am interested in:

What was the donor 3rd member? Did you buy in new? or did you buy a used rear end out of another Toyota? If so what was that vehicle?

I already know it will be quick, I am interested in the mechanics of the swap. I do need an answer in 5 minutes. It can be part of your official write up.

CivicKilla

Reaction score
i got the 3rd member from a 05 pre runner for a test then i bought a new one the mechanical side of it only takes about 45 min to swap. what do you need to know

WCD

Reaction score
Things I am interested in:

What was the donor 3rd member? Did you buy in new? or did you buy a used rear end out of another Toyota? If so what was that vehicle?

I already know it will be quick, I am interested in the mechanics of the swap. I do need an answer in 5 minutes. It can be part of your official write up.

I'm a differential mechanic, and the gear set came from another shop across town that we do business with.
I looked at the gear set, and it's cherry. :top: I can still see the machine lines in the ring gear, a good indication that it has low miles. He said it came out of a '05+ Prerunner that had monster tires on it.

I've been meaning to buy a digital cam anyway, so this gives me reason to.
I'll do a write up and post pics probably sometime late Tuesday after I get done beating on it. :smile:

CivicKilla

Reaction score
lol your funny. make sure you buy the rear gasket for the pumpkin they are paper thin.

ntinhri

Reaction score
I want to see some videos and track slips.. However if you go F/I wouldnt 1st gear be useless?

CivicKilla

Reaction score
actually its first gear is stil usable, first gear gets u to 27mph. thats plenty for first gear. maybe if you were running 4.11 it might be over the top but 3.72 is perfict.

ntinhri

Reaction score
ah... but if you were f/i you would "litem up" super easy..

Coupe

Reaction score
I'm a differential mechanic, and the gear set came from another shop across town that we do business with.
I looked at the gear set, and it's cherry. :top: I can still see the machine lines in the ring gear, a good indication that it has low miles. He said it came out of a '05+ Forerunner that had monster tires on it.

I've been meaning to buy a digital cam anyway, so this gives me reason to.
I'll do a write up and post pics probably sometime late Tuesday after I get done beating on it. :smile:

Sorry, I was teasing about needing this in 5 minutes. Everybody is already impatient. It's probably because they have been waiting for their Sitting Sic drops kits to arrive.
I will be scouring the salvage yards 05 PreRunner now.

I can count the teeth to determine gear ratios, but are there any distinguishing exterior marks that denote the different gear sets?

WCD

Reaction score
I bet there is but I'm not sure. I know that back in the older days Toyota would put a blotch of paint on top of the pinion threads, and the color would correspond to a certain ratio. I remember pink = 4.10. But I'm not sure if they still do that. I'll check the pinion threads when I get home.

Another truck that might have had 3.73's is the old T100. The T100 had the Tacoma style rear diff.
If you find a T100, make sure you compare the pinion yoke bolt pattern with the XR bolt pattern. I believe they are different so you wouldn't be able to use the T100 yoke on the XR.

Last edited:

quicky06

Reaction score
are you sure your speedo is off?

i thought our trucks pulled the VSS straight of a wheel speed sesnsor.

CivicKilla

Reaction score
yes its off for sure. i have driven by radar points and next to some friends and the speed does not match between both vehicals. the sensors in the wheels are for the abs

quicky06

Reaction score
Yes but if you look at the wiring diagram for the speedo it doesnt show a vss. or atleast thats what i remember

Top Bottom