Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

gear swap #2 diy, pics and video

Vecte

"Fluffy"
Reaction score
I was all for this, and still like the idea, I just don't like the thought of my speedo being off.:thumpdown:

braves011

"Crouching Tiger"
Reaction score
i'd rather go to like a 3.55 that way your not comprimising a whole lot but not sure if it would be worth the moneys

Vecte

"Fluffy"
Reaction score
The loss in gas mileage is really not that much, yes, some is definitely lost, but it is not all that bad. The 3.73s are an excellent set of gears, and definitely an improvement for the X.

Toyotaguy_7

Reaction score
i like the 3.55s that what i was think but some numbers would be great guess ill just have to try it out when i get some cash not like you can't sell the 3.73s or find some one to make a good lsd with 3.55s

XrunnIT

Reaction score
As far as the gearing goes.. you have to think about what you are trying to gear for. For the track, our stock setup is great.

For the drag.. even the 3.73's are enough. You would be better off with 4.56s and do a second gear launch. 2nd gear is a 2.19, so even with 4.56s it would be a bit slow, so you'd have to launch at around 4k or so, but you'll be able to take that "1st" gear pull up towards 50-60mph and the "1-2" (really 2-3) shift would be so much better, as it would keep you higher in the power band. I would still love to see some 1/4 mile passes. :rock:

For everyday shenanigans, 3.58's would be a good compromise

Toyotaguy_7

Reaction score
i want it for drifting. and why not 3.55 why the 3.58 and i like the shenanigans not fravas his are cruel and tragic evil shenanigans and where could i get an lsd thats strong with the gears

jaxchrisfla

Reaction score
i think toyotas gear set in the 3.5x range is 3.58, not 3.55. and i believe this gear set will still mount to the factory rear case in the X, so no need to pick up the new 3rd member, and case along with it. just the gear set and install kit.

WCD

Reaction score
i think toyotas gear set in the 3.5x range is 3.58, not 3.55. and i believe this gear set will still mount to the factory rear case in the X, so no need to pick up the new 3rd member, and case along with it. just the gear set and install kit.

That is correct.
Another FYI: It's the empty 3rd that's the problem. The LSD case (the part that the ring gear bolts to) is the same for all Tacos. All the Taco gear sets will bolt in, but the spacing will be way off depending on what ratio you are trying to put in. So numerically, 3.58 and down gear sets will have the proper spacing in the XR 3rd member. :top:

Toyotaguy_7

Reaction score
you lost me where do i get the gear with and lsd location make model yr ? im sorry im lost in the sauce when it comes to rearends

quicky06

Reaction score
Heres a picture of a for 9 inch 4rd member. not a yota but they same design(basicly).
9.jpg

The gear with the yellow patterning paint is the ring gear. on the other side there are a dozen or so bolts that hold the ring gear to che carrier which also houses the lsd. the side gears that the axles atach to and the spider gears. The pinion gear is attatched to the yoke and and you can not see it.

when you change your ring gear the gear gets bigger or smaller. in our case we want to go from a 3.15 to a 3.73(just an example) so the gear will have a larger diameter.

in order to have the pinion gear contact the ring gear in the right place and the gear not contact the carrier you have to move the ring gear away from the pinion gear. this measurement is known as pinion depth. when you make a large change in gear selection you have to change the carrier. along with any other gear change the bearings and the ring and pinion gears change. the only thing that is the same is the case taht houses the lsd.

i believe thats what WCD was trying to say

WCD

Reaction score
Yes, doing this on the XR is a pain in the ass.
Toyota has 2 different part #'s for the XR 3rd member housing (or 3rd member case, whatever you want to call it).
If you try putting 3.73's in a 3rd member housing that's not made for it, the backlash (the spacing between the ring gear and pinion gear) will be way off when you bolt everything together and check tolerances. It won't work.
Number 8 in the pic below is the 3rd member housing that makes this swap a pain unless you just buy the complete unit from Toyota. But of course, doing so will cost you some $$$.

F802090.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom