Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Need computer help!

Venomous_X

Reaction score
Ok, so my laptop which is ancient and approximately 5 years old is pretty much dying (means i will be off of xru unless i find a replacement) so i was looking around and found a really nice hp on bestbuy and was looking for some input. One thing, how does the amd processor stack up against intel? Im looking to spend under 1000.00$ because frankly all I do is surf the web and hang out on xru with listening to mp3's and of course dvds! Does anyone have any super awesome deals that would be more beneficial for the money? I like hp and I generally like to stick to namebrand for the sheer fact that its much easier to get serviced (in my opinion anyway) I am not computer savy whatsoever so I dont understand much of the jargon so I figured Id ask a few of you who are. Here is a link of the one I was looking at.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pa...ssor/9556296.p?id=1218123847586&skuId=9556296

thank you for the assistance!:crinklehair:

lance426

Reaction score
Check out newegg.com or tigerdirect.com and as far as processors most people agree intel is leading the way in technology right now.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Take a look at dell's online store donny - they use mainly intel boards and other mainstream components.

For the money its hard to beat a dell laptop.

You can put together a decent one for around 500$

Don't buy an Apple.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
That HP you posted up really isn't bad for the price either Donny.

For what you need 5-700$ will do it fine.

To me a high resolution (1080) WLED bright screen & a core 2 duo processor are a must for a laptop.

A really good high quality screen is worth its weight in gold. A high resolution screen will give you the viewing area of a much larger size screen in that 15.6" window.

Dell offers a very cheap (25$) back-lit keyboard in their studio line up which is awesome.

The studio line up also has a slot load (no tray) CD/DVD RW drive.

Reality is:

You dont need more then a 150-200 gig hard drive, you dont need a crazy ass laptop grafx card (laptops suck at grafx no matter what), and you dont need a huge amount of RAM (more then 2 gigs really is excessive for most people).

Dont get caught up in huge hard drives - a faster drive is more important.

I would take a 7200 RPM 150 gig drive over a 250 gig 5400 RPM drive any day of the week.

A laptop is a portable device and will never have the power of a desktop. With that ideology in mind you should buy a practical laptop.

No matter how much money you spend on the fastest processors, the largest/fastest ram capacity, the largest/fastest hard drive it will never match a modern desktop so don't waste your money/time.

Buy a laptop with practical hardware:

150-200 gig 7200 RPM HD, 2.1 GHz + Core 2 Duo processor, a nice screen with high resolution, 2 gigs of ram, and a halfway decent mobile grafx card.

Anything above that is all butter.

When you buy one send it to me and I will make it a lot faster (and give you some cool shit) for the cost of round trip shipping.

Last edited:

Venomous_X

Reaction score
I just built a dell xps for 2600 dollars :frown: that is no bueno....Id love to get me a bad ass laptop if i could get the financing but they are pretty tough to get financing through :fail: I tried a few years ago! :frown:

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
I just built a dell xps for 2600 dollars :frown: that is no bueno....Id love to get me a bad ass laptop if i could get the financing but they are pretty tough to get financing through :fail: I tried a few years ago! :frown:

Building a bad ass laptop is really a waste brother, just get something halfway decent and portable.

Laptop components need to be small and power friendly so they lack in a lot of areas.

for 2600$ I could build you a slamming desktop and laptop.

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
Don't buy an Apple.

I 3rd this mostly cause i'm a pc guy...+ apples have intel processors and run microsoft applications...so your only purchasing the name apple...

for the price of any apple computer laptop or desktop I can build a custom pc that will smash it any day of the week...

also check out best buy and frys electronics donny...you can get yourself a really good laptop or desktop for $600-800 now days...

TRD-X

Reaction score
Yo Cuz I could go out and buy a $3,000 laptop but why? I just got a new HP Pavilion dv7-1444us with free windows 7 upgrade. After rebate $600 18 inch screen, and all the goodies. Note I liked the HP so good that I got this laptop 1 year after getting the first HP! Note a laptop is only fast if the host and site your going to are up todate

Note you have till Jan 30 to buy and get windows 7 upgrade for free. Also you should get a 64 bit laptop.:top:

Last edited:

MusTrd

Reaction score

Donny I wouldn't try to get financing through Dell anyway, I had excellent credit at the time and still got stuck with a 30% interest rate going through them.

Venomous_X

Reaction score
Man, I want something I wont have to upgrade for a few years (computers are so quickly updated anyway I know) but this laptop has been great to me, nothing major malfunctioning, but its just old and slow now :(

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Man, I want something I wont have to upgrade for a few years (computers are so quickly updated anyway I know) but this laptop has been great to me, nothing major malfunctioning, but its just old and slow now :(

A laptop today will most likely play DVDs and browse the internet just as well 5 years from now.

I am not a fan of HUGE laptops (what the hell is the point of lugging around a laptop the size of a desktop tower).

If you want something powerful with a big screen your better suited with a desktop.

The only time you buy into any kind of future proofing is when you build a desktop.

If you buy a retail store computer you are getting technology from yesterday for today's price.

If you build a computer you are getting technology from today at today's price.

TRD-X

Reaction score
Donny the laptop I have you can buy with widows 7, just more money why pay more upgrade is free. I watch Hulu and online HD videos with this one. And it's fast!:top:

chadfo

Reaction score
I bought a Dell Inpsiron from Best Buy a few months ago for $399. 15.6" high def display, Pentium Dual-Core T3400 processor, 3 GB RAM, 160 HD, DVD, wireless, etc.

I went with Dell because they have a good reputation, the price was unbeatable at the time, and it runs cooler than some others like the Gateway my wife bought. It's my Internet machine and does the job just fine. Like others have said, don't waste a lot of money in a laptop that you are just using for the Internet.

If you want some power, build a desktop/tower from scratch. It's pretty much impossible to build a machine cheaper than the low level name brands because they buy in bulk. However you can buy the parts from Newegg for a fraction of the cost of a name brand when you start getting high end parts.

I saw a commercial last night where you get a desktop, laptop, and netbook for $1100 or so. I think it was Best Buy.

Venomous_X

Reaction score
hmm, i may go take a few trips to some different stores tomorrow and look around and see what I like. (I do not like big laptops either, it defeats the point) my wife's dell inspiron is HUGE!) I know I dont need the big ass screen but lol, it was a nice puter I thought. This is why this thread exists.....I needed your help and didn't want to make a bonehead decision. :wink:

TRD-X

Reaction score
I bought a Dell Inpsiron from Best Buy a few months ago for $399. 15.6" high def display, Pentium Dual-Core T3400 processor, 3 GB RAM, 160 HD, DVD, wireless, etc.

I went with Dell because they have a good reputation, the price was unbeatable at the time, and it runs cooler than some others like the Gateway my wife bought. It's my Internet machine and does the job just fine. Like others have said, don't waste a lot of money in a laptop that you are just using for the Internet.

If you want some power, build a desktop/tower from scratch. It's pretty much impossible to build a machine cheaper than the low level name brands because they buy in bulk. However you can buy the parts from Newegg for a fraction of the cost of a name brand when you start getting high end parts.

I saw a commercial last night where you get a desktop, laptop, and netbook for $1100 or so. I think it was Best Buy.
Yo Cuz!!--- I shop around and Office Depot has the best price, but it can be a hole different story state to state.:top:

Amarillo X

Reaction score
Hey Donny, IMO buying a cheaper laptop and sending it to DS seems like a smoking deal! I would probably lean towards that cuz it'll be fast and have some cool free shat that you'd otherwise have to pay for!!! Just a thought:top:

nine9six

Reaction score
Building a bad ass laptop is really a waste brother, just get something halfway decent and portable.

Laptop components need to be small and power friendly so they lack in a lot of areas.

for 2600$ I could build you a slamming desktop and laptop.

This is God's honest truth right here.

Top Bottom