Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Need help fellas

dramad1

Reaction score
I just realized I have been cluttering up g's ucon thread with my issues that have nothing to do with the ucon. I apologize g.
I have 12 trouble codes. Fml. Lol
P0351, p0352, p0353, p0354, p0355, p0356 and all the same codes showing as pending for a total of 12.
I have tried clearing all codes. No worky, I have disconnected the battery for twenty minutes and the codes still return. I have inspected all plugs and have looked several times at the wiring and ground.
Car will turn over then just die a few seconds later. I have replaced the fuses and relays and still not the issue. I am down to the issue being the injector coils or a wiring issue not sure. Is it possible for a six coils to go bad?
Is there specific wires that get tapped when hooking up the maf cal or urd tcai that affects the injector coils. I ask because I have had both of these mods in the past and those are the only wires I messed with on the truck.
I also have a viper 5901 alarm on the truck that was though to be causing the issue but in my opinion the alarm hasn't had any issues and still seems to be doing everything like normal without any issues. I have also looked at the keys for the x being coded or sinced to the truck. I have three sets and all three start the car and then it dies.
Is it possible that I may have an air or vacuum leak that may be setting off these injector coils codes?
I am not sure at all what to do. I'm trying to figure this out with out a shops help but the issue has not gotten any closer to being resolved.
Any ideas fellas? I need my x back.

Gadget

Reaction score
I have heard of this one time before in all these years. I have a customer in China that says he had all 6 coils fail at the same time. Very odd.

Now, all of the coils are powered through the same fuse according to the wiring diagram. It is labeled 30A AM2. The current path is the battery, the fuse, the ignition switch, the coils.

So, I would key on, and check power at the coil supply wire, black w/red stripe and see if you have power there or not. If not, trace back.

I will clear the clutter out of the UCON thread once you get up and running.

G

dramad1

Reaction score
I have replaced the 30a am2 fuse. I removed the plenium and checked all coils, wires and plugs. I have checked ign fuses, efi relay, fuel pump relay. I have inspected the wires again on the stock ecu.
I do not have a circut tester at the moment so I can not check to make sure coils are receiving power.
Same results. Starts then dies. It seems like the fuel is just cut off a few seconds after starting.

Edit. I have this. Will it work to check if coils are receiving power?

Attachments

• image-4205940665.jpg
    image-4205940665.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 140

rennurx

Reaction score
U could always replace just one coil and see if that code returns. Might not be the best way but might be worth a try. I had a bad coil and a few times more then one would throw a code. But only #2 was bad.

Amo-cat3

Reaction score
Is there a way to run a diagnostic on the stock ecu? Maybe get a whole new harness for your maf?

dramad1

Reaction score
Is there a way to run a diagnostic on the stock ecu? Maybe get a whole new harness for your maf?

I did have a code p0102 but when I was looking at all the wires I found one of the wires to be loose. I fixed it and the code disappeared. I believe the maf is fine.
I think I may try replacing one of the ignition coils and see if it clears at least the coils code that I replace.
Kevin. What's up with a loaner coil just to test and see if all the coils are shot? Not sure what else it could be. Maybe spark plugs? I just put in all new 20's so maybe I'm having an issue with the plugs??

butters607

Reaction score
I did have a code p0102 but when I was looking at all the wires I found one of the wires to be loose. I fixed it and the code disappeared. I believe the maf is fine.
I think I may try replacing one of the ignition coils and see if it clears at least the coils code that I replace.
Kevin. What's up with a loaner coil just to test and see if all the coils are shot? Not sure what else it could be. Maybe spark plugs? I just put in all new 20's so maybe I'm having an issue with the plugs??

I would check for power to all coils first like gadget said.

dramad1

Reaction score
The only thing I have to check wires is in the picture a few post before this one. Will that work? And I know this is dumb but how would I go about testing these wires with it? It has a negative and positive light on one side and the other side is just plan. Touch the power wire on the coil and where do I touch the other wire?

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like a test light. Ground the end without the light and probe with the other :top:. That won't tell you if it's a weak signal though.....you can get a cheap voltage tester at Sears for under $30.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Check the wires Gadget told you too, make sure power is getting to them first. :top:

I should have 6 coil packs around here somewhere... you are more then welcome to use them as swap-nostics....Lemmie look...
EDIT:
2013-01-02171218.jpg

FOUND EM!!! before you go out an buy 6 new coil packs, swap these in and see what happens. They are out of my old motor, and last time they where in, 1.5 years ago, the worked.

I'm not making the drive out to bum-f*ck-Egypt any time soon for any other reason:laugh:, so either gas money or meet at my house/work. LMK.

Last edited:

dramad1

Reaction score
Right on kev. I appreciate it. I'm gonna pick up a Lil volt meter after work, then ill be checking those wires.
Ill keep everyone posted. What ever my findings turn out to be, I just may take you up on the spare coils you have for testing.
I was looking at prices of coils, I have found them for $20-$129.00. If I do get replacements should I stick with denso or is there a better brand or cheaper yet just as reliable brand?

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Right on kev. I appreciate it. I'm gonna pick up a Lil volt meter after work, then ill be checking those wires.
Ill keep everyone posted. What ever my findings turn out to be, I just may take you up on the spare coils you have for testing.
I was looking at prices of coils, I have found them for $20-$129.00. If I do get replacements should I stick with denso or is there a better brand or cheaper yet just as reliable brand?

Id run OEM Toyota, but they aren't cheap. I can get you a qoute for six, my price for OEM Toyota. The one you are finding are probably remanufactured.

Sometimes, the exact model part can be found for sale elsewhere, but significantly cheaper.

dramad1

Reaction score
Picked up a volt meter just now. Depending if I have the day off tomorrow, will decide if I check my wires tomorrow or this weekend.
So noob ?'s. lol. How do I use this thing. Lol.
So for a car I'm going to be under dc and turn the dial to about 20 since I'm checking for about 12v's correct?
So checking the wires on the ign coil. Should I just unplug the connector to the coil and insert the red test lead to power wire on connector then put the black test lead to ground? And check for around 12v?
Should I turn the key in the x to on or leave it off and just have the battery hooked up?
Sorry fellas, never really used a volt meter before.
Also if I find a wire is not getting current, should I do a continuity check on wire? How? Touch one end w/ positive electrode and the negative on opposite end?
Here is a pic of the volt meter I got for $16.00 at sears.

Attachments

• image-962756032.jpg
    image-962756032.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 131

Gadget

Reaction score
Use one of the voltage scales and test it on your battery.

Black to neg, red to positive.

Fiddle with it until you get it reading 12 volt battery voltage.

Then leave the black on the neg bat term and use the red on the power wire at one of the smart coils with the key in the run position.

See what you get.

G

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
Picked up a volt meter just now. Depending if I have the day off tomorrow, will decide if I check my wires tomorrow or this weekend.
So noob ?'s. lol. How do I use this thing. Lol.
So for a car I'm going to be under dc and turn the dial to about 20 since I'm checking for about 12v's correct?
So checking the wires on the ign coil. Should I just unplug the connector to the coil and insert the red test lead to power wire on connector then put the black test lead to ground? And check for around 12v?
Should I turn the key in the x to on or leave it off and just have the battery hooked up?
Sorry fellas, never really used a volt meter before.
Also if I find a wire is not getting current, should I do a continuity check on wire? How? Touch one end w/ positive electrode and the negative on opposite end?
Here is a pic of the volt meter I got for $16.00 at sears.

Exact same unit I have. Gets the job done just fine. Connect the wires to the outer terminals. Turn the dial to the 9V setting. From there follow the instructions in Gadget's post :top: Good luck.

Gadget

Reaction score
Don't buy any coils.

If you find you need some let me know.

G

rexrunner

Reaction score
Whats your fuel pressure. Check fueling also imo. Pump is priming but that's it. Not able to keep adequate pressure for a reason causing it to lean out. Could show up as a ign problem. Or a bad or loose ground.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
^^^ Yup. If you can find a way to put a fuel pressure gauge on, that would be a good one to check as well.

Now, you can also try removing the feed fuel line that comes out of the gas tank, where it attaches to the steel hard line, under the bed.

Aim the fuel line into a container, and watch it as someone tries to start the truck. Should shoot out fuel pretty fast. If it doesn't, then you have an issue there.

I would only try that after swapping the coils and testing the voltages though.

Top Bottom