Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Need help fellas

dramad1

Reaction score
Okay so I got the day off. I pulled out the multimeter. Here are the results.
Battery: 12.34v
Ign coil 1: 11.98v
3: 11.95v
5: 11.95v
2: 11.94v
4: 11.93v
6: 11.92 v
Bad coils????

On the fuel line note. When we were putting the bed on after the fuel pump upgrade, I didn't clear the down spout the first try and we had to remove the brace for the side panel to get it to line up with the gas door. Maybe a kink in the line or vacuum leak.

Gadget

Reaction score
Now test the power wire to the ground wire on the coil plug, the white/Black wire.

G

dramad1

Reaction score
So plug the positive on coil power blk/red and neg on the coil ground white/blk?
Or blktester to ground on coil and red to battery positive?

Gadget

Reaction score
Yep, red lead on the power wire and black lead on the ground wire and see if it completes a circuit.

G

dramad1

Reaction score
So I plugged in the battery checked it 12.34v

Coil grounds
Ign coil 1: 12.2v
3: 11.98v
5: 11.96v
2: 11.92
4: 11.92
6: 11.91

I checked with volt meter set to 20v dc, red lead to power on coil plug and black lead to ground on coil plug.

dramad1

Reaction score
So do these numbers indicate that I may have 6 bad ign coils? All seem to be getting juice and the grounds appear to be okay I think. I tested them and completed the circuit.
Should I replace the coils and then go from there? Don't know what to do.

dramad1

Reaction score
Bump for and ideas fellas. Mucho appreciatedo

Gadget

Reaction score
Borrow those spare coils from Kevin. If it lites up and he needs them back let me know. I have some spares around here.

G

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Dammit. I wish Stephanie picked a better time to crap out. I could have brought the coils over to the Tuesday night meet, and you could have snagged them there. Unfortunately, I gotta spend my evening post work, replacing my lca bushings.....:thumbdown:

dramad1

Reaction score
Funny, I've been down for a week and a half. Lol jk.
I can try to swing down there tonight but not sure because Ill have the kids and wife will be at work.
I'd like to just borrow them to see if its my issue or not kev. I can take the lady's van during the day today but I need to have it back by 1:30.
Hmmmm. Thanks kev for trying to help out and thanks fellas for helping me out here. I'd be lost. Lol. Thanks

Murderface

Reaction score
Dammit. I wish Stephanie picked a better time to crap out. I could have brought the coils over to the Tuesday night meet, and you could have snagged them there. Unfortunately, I gotta spend my evening post work, replacing my lca bushings.....:thumbdown:

Excellent observation my dear Watson. That doesn't change the fact that my truck will be inop until late this evening....:rofl:

All I said was tonight is Tuesday that's all.......tomorrow is Wednesday, next day is Thursday....u interpret how u want rofl

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Funny, I've been down for a week and a half. Lol jk.
I can try to swing down there tonight but not sure because Ill have the kids and wife will be at work.
I'd like to just borrow them to see if its my issue or not kev. I can take the lady's van during the day today but I need to have it back by 1:30.
Hmmmm. Thanks kev for trying to help out and thanks fellas for helping me out here. I'd be lost. Lol. Thanks

Only problem is I don't have the coils with me. They are my house....:thumbdown:

I won't be home from work until late this evening.

All I said was tonight is Tuesday that's all.......tomorrow is Wednesday, next day is Thursday....u interpret how u want rofl

I feel like there's a reference to a certain shitty song in that...

My problem is the my lca bushings wont be until later today, so therefore my truck wont be running until this evening, and ill have to do the install after work. :rolleyez:

Last edited:

dramad1

Reaction score
No worries kev. Get the beast rolling again.

dramad1

Reaction score
Update:

So last night I went and picked up Kevin's spare ign coils. I'm gonna swap them in here in about 30 mins and ill post the results when I finish. Fingers are crossed.

GrumpyOldMan

Reaction score
I continuue to be amazed at how folks all band together on forums like XR Underground or my motorcycle forums (advrider.com stromtrooper.com etc) to help fix an issue and even giving expensive parts to each other for FREE!!!

...now too bad we can't get the folks in the middle east to do the same, although that'd take away my income that's gonna eventually build my motor!!

Dave in Afghanistan

dramad1

Reaction score
It's alive, it's alive. Swapping out all 6 coil packs seems to have fixed the issue. Truck started right up. Idled at around 1100rpm for a min then resumed normal idle,about 800-900rpm. Took it for a 20 min drive. All seems to be well. I hooked my code reader back up and 0 codes being thrown.
Freaking weird all 6 malfunctioned at once. So I need to get my hands on a set so I can give Kevin back his spares. G, I remember you saying you had a few lying around. I'd be willing to buy them off you, just give me a price.
I appreciate everyone here at xru for helping me trouble shoot this issue and get me rolling again. Another reason why xru is a step above the rest. Joining together and making it happen. Oh f yeah.

Top Bottom