Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Need help fellas

JFrame

Reaction score
Nice, now that you have her running right again you still gonna trade her for a 4x4?

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Well that is some very good news!

dramad1

Reaction score
Well that is some very good news!

Yes it is. Thanks for crossing you fingers for me. I must have had 20 sets of hands crossing there fingers for me.

As far as trading in for a 4x4 DC, as of right this min, no I will not be cause I miss my x so much. Lol. It's alive.
But next week me and the wife will be going to dealership to see what kind of deal they can make us on a double trade in. If they low ball me and want to do payment plan for like 3 years then ill be keeping the x.
Would it be appropriate to talk about what may have cause the coil packs to malfunction in this thread? I by no way want to be pointing fingers or stirring up a pot. I'm am just curious and want to know how they malfunctioned. I heard it is very rare for all 6 coils to go out at once. Is this a ucon issue or is this because I swapped in new plugs along with fuel pump upgrade? I will be leaving the ucon off until I get a set of coils for myself and give Kevin back his set.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
It is up to you to discuss it or not, but unless you do extra testing to prove that the Ucon is at fault, that is still speculation.

I would contact Gadget, and have him test the device. Just to be on the safe side. That way "just in case" the potential for you to burn up any more coil packs and have to fork over some additional dough, will be avoided.

Talk with him and get it tested. Share any findings afterwards if you like.

dramad1

Reaction score
It is up to you to discuss it or not, but unless you do extra testing to prove that the Ucon is at fault, that is still speculation.

I would contact Gadget, and have him test the device. Just to be on the safe side. That way "just in case" the potential for you to burn up any more coil packs and have to fork over some additional dough, will be avoided.

Talk with him and get it tested. Share any findings afterwards if you like.

I'm not pointing fingers or saying it was the ucon. I'm gonna contact g like you said and maybe send the ucon in so g can check it out. Last thing I want is this to happen again.
Thanks torspd for the advice. Mucho appreciated.

Last edited:

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
My truck just set a p0351 and 354 code leaving work today. Cleared em, it came back, and limped it back to work. Called gadget, explained my predicament, and my theroy on how strange it is to have both of our trucks be destroying coilpacks, with in 3 weeks of each other...to be noted, is EXACTLY the gap in time between the install of the UCON on our trucks. So in other words, after nearly the same amount of time on (UCON install) our trucks, our coil packs started crapping out....IDK, its all speculation at this point. Needless to say, he said it seemed very unlikely that the UCON is shorting out Coilpacks...

Gagdet recommend that i swap the coil pack out and keep him updatded, He was VERY helpfull and will be sending you, Dan, a set of coil-packs tomorrow. Call him if you changed your mind and dont want them. I'm gonna need those coils back ASAP, before my truck leaves me stranded too...:thumbdown:

The codes stayed off on my way home, thankfully. IDK what to do at this point....

dramad1

Reaction score
Wtf. Will do as far as getting them back to you ASAP. This is very strange indeed.
I was browsing around online typing different search words for the coil packs and found 6x denso brand package for $380. And then I found some knock offs that were about $20 each. And auto zone has the denso brand aval for order and nxt day pick up for around $92.00 each. All fitting 05-08 4.0 toy taco.
Just outta curiosity, after you did your motors swap and reinstalled super charger did you have any hiccups? And until now other than the ucon have you introduced any other mods? Did you expeirience any hiccups after there introduction?

Other things I've thought about is after my motor swap I never even checked the coils nor do I think the dealer did either.

I was thinking about my remote start and if that could have anything to do with it, but my alarm just bypasses the clutch and starter.

Another thing is the o2 sim. I still have it hooked up. Not sure if it could have been a computer malfunction w/ the ucon and sim both being connected. Probibly not but its a thought.

Another thing I was thinking about was that reflash they did on my x. The smaller gas pedal and flash for no more break stands. Wondering if that could be causing a glitch with the stock ecu and ucon hooked up together.
It's all just ideas floating around in my head. Lol. Could this be a coincidence, could be or there could be an issue? What ever it is, it fvckin sucks.
I appreciate the loaner coils kev and will get them back to you ASAP, keep me up to date. It took my x around 5-7 days after I noticed the first symptoms to crap out. But when I first noticed the symptoms I did take a look at everything a few times and all seemed fine. Then bam worst timing possible it crapped out.
I have a buddy that is a junk yard bandit, I'm gonna hit him up about some spare relays fuses and coil packs, availability for our trucks.

RRX

Reaction score
Sound like a string of bad luck. I hope that you guys get it all figured out.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
I have the same reflash you do, the 90l. I just bypassed it by cutting a wire. It was driving with out hiccups up until yesterday when the first code set. And then got worse. Set two coil codes today.

Just recently did it start acting up. It drove almost flawlessly up until yesterday.

dramad1

Reaction score
Read other thread real quick kev , I got them mixed up.

Top Bottom